Excursion question

Redtravel

Before we booked, we looked at the shore excursions for each port. Once booked, we could reserve excursions. However, the list of excursions doesn’t fully match those advertised on website. Some of the optional excursions were sold out. In most ports there were a nice selection of tours in different ability levels.   We managed to reserve excursions at acceptable times in most ports.  In one port, there was only one excursion listed. On the website, there had been 3 choices. These choices weren’t showing.  The one excursion showing was included. It is showing as difficult. We are older and only attempt easy or some moderate tours.   We are at a quandary what to do. Book it or not?  Take the bus ride and wait?  We do not hike.  Any suggestions?  I looked for a private tour. None available.  

The website listed excursions are just examples. Typically not all will be available and sometimes ones not listed are available. So nothing unusual there. 

I would book the included one. You can always cancel at the last minute with no cost. I’ve found the ratings don’t always match well. On board, the port talk the previous day will offer a more specific description. You can also find the excursions manager as soon as you get on board and ask about it.

Another option is to book a third party tour more to your needs. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

How many days from sailing are you at?

Speaking from experience, it's possible things can change on MVJ between now and sailing.  And once on board, just talk to customer service, and they will give you specific information on where everything stands with regards to the excursions.  There could even be ones that's not listed on MVJ available once you're on the ship!

Remember, you have certain days before the actual excursion to make changes and still get a full refund.

As far as included excursion is concerned, I'd say just sign up for it if there's nothing else available.  I wouldn't worry that much about the difficulty rating.  Most of the time, it's just certain portion of the tour is difficult, not the whole thing.  And in those cases, Viking and the guide would sometimes provide certain alternative for those unable to keep up with those parts.

Anyway, don't stress yourself out over it.  Just check back every few days (or everyday) to see if there's anything opening up, and if not, just talk to customer service once you're on the ship, and many times, they could take down names for a waiting list, and form a new group if enough names signed up.  You'd never know.

Edited by Reaniel

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Before we booked, we looked at the shore excursions for each port. Once booked, we could reserve excursions. However, the list of excursions doesn’t fully match those advertised on website. Some of the optional excursions were sold out. In most ports there were a nice selection of tours in different ability levels.   We managed to reserve excursions at acceptable times in most ports.  In one port, there was only one excursion listed. On the website, there had been 3 choices. These choices weren’t showing.  The one excursion showing was included. It is showing as difficult. We are older and only attempt easy or some moderate tours.   We are at a quandary what to do. Book it or not?  Take the bus ride and wait?  We do not hike.  Any suggestions?  I looked for a private tour. None available.  

What is the port you’re having trouble with? Some of us with DIY experience may be able to help. Have you checked with people on your roll call?

• Like 1

Like @formernuke said, the website is an idea of the possible excursions. This is why when people ask about the excursions offered, and others answer to read the website, it's not the best answer. Yes, it gives you an idea of what could be offered, but it's not set in stone. I didn't bother reading much of them until our excursions were actually posted for OUR cruise. I do know there were some changes between the website and our actual options.

What port are you looking at for advice? What's the tour you're considering?

The website is just an example of potential excursions that MAY exist.  It is not a promise or guarantee that they WILL exist.  Every sailing is different.  You could have the same itinerary and depending on the date of travel there may be variations in excursions offered.

Why?  

Because Viking works with 3rd party operators to provide excursions.  They do NOT provide their own operators.  3rd party operators may have their own schedules and changes and/or even go out of business.  Those 3rd parties also control the prices of the excursions offered.

• Like 1

But, if you like excursions that are on the website that are not offered on MVJ when booking opens, you can consider Viator or other local tour operators to get what you want.

Don't rely on Viking excursions only.

Viator have now "Worry Free Shore Excursions" for cruise passengers that if booked within their parameters can be cancelled for refund if your ship does not dock, or is late in docking, and if they don't get you back to port in time they will get you to your next port at a cost of up to $1000 per person.

If you cannot find these yourself, contact your travel advisor...

35 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

But, if you like excursions that are on the website that are not offered on MVJ when booking opens, you can consider Viator or other local tour operators to get what you want.

Don't rely on Viking excursions only.

Viator have now "Worry Free Shore Excursions" for cruise passengers that if booked within their parameters can be cancelled for refund if your ship does not dock, or is late in docking, and if they don't get you back to port in time they will get you to your next port at a cost of up to $1000 per person.

If you cannot find these yourself, contact your travel advisor...

I checked private tours.  None.  Looks like there isn’t much to see.  I signed up for the included excursion, a Viking site. I will check with excursion crew on the ship.  If that’s the only tour, there will likely be lots of folks who cannot handle a “demanding” pace.  
Had a similar experience on Viking Grand European. Included tour in Koblenz was a visit to Marksburg Castle.  It was listed as demanding. Looked it up on web. From the photos, I knew that it would be too rigorous for us. We skipped it. We needed a break from touring. Took ourselves into town.  There were several people from our boat there. One man, in good shape,  went on that tour and died. I now notice that the included tour in Koblenz is a walk in town.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

One man, in good shape,  went on that tour and died. I now notice that the included tour in Koblenz is a walk in town.  

Wow, when did this happen?  I tried to Google it, but nothing's showing up.

We were on the Grand European Tour in 2022.  My mom, who has an unrepaired torn ACL and was 63 at the time, was able to finish the tour of the castle.

Edited by Reaniel
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I checked private tours.  None.  Looks like there isn’t much to see.  I signed up for the included excursion, a Viking site. I will check with excursion crew on the ship.  If that’s the only tour, there will likely be lots of folks who cannot handle a “demanding” pace.  
Had a similar experience on Viking Grand European. Included tour in Koblenz was a visit to Marksburg Castle.  It was listed as demanding. Looked it up on web. From the photos, I knew that it would be too rigorous for us. We skipped it. We needed a break from touring. Took ourselves into town.  There were several people from our boat there. One man, in good shape,  went on that tour and died. I now notice that the included tour in Koblenz is a walk in town.  

• Redtravel, you need to be more specific in order to get better responses.  Which cruise, which port, which excursion are you asking about?  What time of year?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Reaniel said:

Wow, when did this happen?  I tried to Google it, but nothing's showing up.

We were on the Grand European Tour in 2022.  My mom, who has an unrepaired torn ACL and was 63 at the time, was able to finish the tour of the castle.

We have also been on this tour. There is one really dangerous place with steep uneven cobblestones, but you can avoid the area and they advise you of it. It’s entirely possible someone could slip and hit their head in a fall at this particular area.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne