Mahon, Menorca

We have a port day in Mahon Menorca. Looking at excursion offerings, so that I can get a feel for what is offered, I am left with uncertainty around what others have enjoyed. Hiking is offered, which I love, but I think other options would be more attractive for the two of us. Thank you in advance 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Hiking is offered, which I love, but I think other options would be more attractive for the two of us. Thank you in advance 

This island is quite small, as is the main town and we opted for an island tour followed by a short exploration  of the town on foot on return. As you dock centrally this is quite easy to do.  This is quite a  scenic sail-in, (not fabulous like Venice or Valletta were/are, but pretty enough. as you sail along the bay(?) with villas and rocky coastline both sides and quite close cruising if you enjoy that,so I suggest you be on deck 30-60 minutes ahead of arrival time..😀

Edited by edinburgher

Thank you Edinburgher. I didn’t see much on TA either. Did you take a private island tour, and was it worth it?  Sounds like it might be a relaxing partial day on ship, which we usually do not mind having one of. I look forward to the sail in after reading this! 

38 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Did you take a private island tour, and was it worth it?

As we were only two and it was a UK line with no Roll Call to find others to share, we opted for the shorex.

It isn't a big island and isn't as touristy as some of the Balearics, being mostly rural and small beaches, however, it is also know for standing stones and megalithic sites, actually lots of these, a couple of which we had stops at, so if taking a tour, read the description to see if any included if these would interest you. There are dry stone walls everywhere dividing the land into smaller "parcels".It wasn't a full day, maybe only a morning or not much more but I cannot remember the exact  length of the tour, only that we toured, had lunch then explored town. The island is favoured by those who prefer a quieter and  less touristy lifestyle and has a feeling of quietness and calmness.

Whilst not full of tourist attractions there is some interest.

About 15 years ago we had a week in Menorca in Binibeca on the south coast, not far from Mahon.Binibeca Vell is quite an interesting village/town as it was designed and built in the 1960s causing some controversy, but we liked it.  Very likely any island tour will go there.

Fornells on the north is a lovely seaside village, famous for being the last King of Spain's favourite place to lunch when he was staying at his villa in Majorca.

Mahon and Ciutadella are the main towns, both very similar.  Cuitadella is the old capital and has more history.

• Like 1

@Vineyard View-

We have been there before and our next two cruises stop there. 🤪

The most interesting city is Ciutadella at the other end of the island.  None of the SB tours will take you there.  There are a couple of operators in Tours by Locals that get booked pretty fast.  You can do a private tour to Ciutadella, stop on the way back at one of the Talayotic sites, maybe Monte Toro or Fornells, and end with a short walking tour of Mahon.  

Right now I am trying to get good flights to go to NCE from BCN and spend a few days there.  We may yet run into you somewhere.  Not having much luck with the airlines, points or no points.

• Like 1

Thank you for these suggestions Thejuggler and marazul. These ideas give me a plan to work!  I would like to see Talayotic sites, and another town. I will check with Tours by local as well as TA forum. 

Marazul, flights at this time next year are proving challenging. I am happy with our return from NCE-SFO - would have liked another day but miles won. I am still struggling with the outbound flight to LIS…..I really want more than a day pre-sailing to re-explore, but so far, the one I grabbed last month is the only reasonable one. I will keep looking!  And yes, maybe we can raise a glass together If it works! 

• Like 1

Menorca is one of our most favourite islands in the Mediterranean and we have spent several holidays there over the years.

As others have said, the island is quite small and not as touristy as tge larger Balearics Islands.

Mahon, the port city has some historic buildings plus a nice waterfront and a scenic sail in.

The tourist train gives a good overview of the town.

Sail in.

IMG_0633_Original.thumb.jpeg.b9fbb211de0c3a00980ba2df6c94367f.jpeg

Tourist train

IMG_4009_Original.jpeg.1b6d508bf528391abafe63e679839cd2.jpeg

waterfront

IMG_0619_Original.thumb.jpeg.0c8cba46e942e31233c2e97a889bba08.jpeg

Town square.

IMG_0821_Original.thumb.jpeg.382a952540bb85aebc4ec5c12da9232e.jpegFurther afield but a shortish taxi ride is the pretty town of Fornells (our favourite)

I couldn’t find a daytime photo….

IMG_3647_Original.thumb.jpeg.e93d975cbda38967db8235217022442b.jpegThere are lots of pretty bays and beaches.

IMG_0626_Original.thumb.jpeg.50c18c29fce9323bb31d4fdc24bbffe5.jpeg

IMG_0542_Original.thumb.jpeg.c2043fcca6f3d5414a53bb901f42f8ec.jpeg

IMG_3946_Original.thumb.jpeg.a2ca909bedf6cd785b5a67c29ca9a403.jpeg

IMG_3884_Original.thumb.jpeg.1d626620e0753f6489be769df581a3d4.jpeg

IMG_3623_Original.thumb.jpeg.f1dc45af9c1ae100fd2fe24912a89f73.jpeg