Checking in time

babs135

We are due to sail on the Queen Anne in the next couple of weeks and have just received our check-in time of 3.45 pm!  I understand that we cannot and should not just turn up and expect to board, but

1)  how early do you think we can realistically arrive at the dock?  We are platinum level and both use walking sticks but not sure if this would make any difference.

We will be staying in Portsmouth the night before.  One train of thought is to drop off our luggage at the dock and then go to West Quay shopping centre to waste some time.

2)  What time does the luggage drop open?

The problem with the luggage drop is

3)  what to do with our hand luggage?  I'm not sure I want to leave it at dockside as it contains medication, chargers, etc.

4)  The next problem is the car!  Can we leave it with the parking company (Penguin) and then go shopping, before returning to them and then they will taxi us to the ship. And should we leave the carry-on cases in the car or lug them around with us in the Centre?

Thanks for any advice.

1 I should suggest 2pm would be reasonable to try to check in. You might get through or have to sit in terminal a bit but not that long.

2 12.00 "Hole in the Wall" will be open, sometimes earlier. Just locate the correct one for your forward/midships/aft cabin location. The guys will advise which one is appropriate for you based on luggage tag information.

3 Minimise your hand luggage as far as possible then carry it around the town.

4 I cannot remember what Penguin parking arrangements are having said that if they take your car they will advise about post cruise collection.   I believe it's a pink hi viz jacket lady and they put you in taxis.  If you end up paying for a taxi from Southampton shops to quayside it will be under £10.

Regards John

• Like 1

I think you're creating problems for yourself here.  Why not just turn up at the terminal at the correct time of 3.45pm, having done your West Quay shopping beforehand.

I know it sounds an insult being platinum and being given a late boarding time.  This happened to us in June for QM2, (we are Diamond), being given a boarding time of 2.45pm having being used to arrive around 12.30pm previously. We duly arrived at 2.30pm and by the time we booked in with CPS and dropped off luggage it was 2.45pm anyway.  This was at Mayflower terminal and we were held up by security being very slow.  Carry-ons twice through and metal arch three times!

They were very busy with lots of people still waiting to board so I actually think 3.45pm is okay as most people will have boarded by then so you should get through quickly.