Honduras Visa Requirements UK Citizens

Cheller1973

I’ve had a reply from CIBTthis afternoon:

“For Honduras we still don’t have any information, we will know after the 15th of August if we can assist with the process, please contact us then for further information”

🤦‍♀️

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cheller1973 said:

I’ve had a reply from CIBTthis afternoon:

“For Honduras we still don’t have any information, we will know after the 15th of August if we can assist with the process, please contact us then for further information”

🤦‍♀️

My brother had the same response!☹️

• Like 1

Hi 

we’re a family of 11 going from the UK to Florida and sailing on Wonder of the Seas on 25th August! Flying out 3 days before!!!! Rang the Embassy and told to email but seems unlikely that we will get a response. There is a pre check form for Honduras immigration that I can find and there are companies that say that they can do visa but skeptic that they are scams. Will look at CIBT but the pre check seems to be for people staying or passing through Honduras, will listen out for Johns experience when he tries to board

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnPangbourne said:

Hi Emma

We're boarding Wonder of the Seas on Sunday 11 Aug and are due in Roatan in the 15th Aug.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Please can you let me know too John? 

21 hours ago, Host Kat said:

@Cheller1973 and @Omega1

Your two threads re the same situation have been merged into one thread. Due to the Cruise Critic software, all posts now appear in post date/time order in this newly merged thread. The merged thread has been moved to the UK Cruisers forum where others can possibly help.

I suggest you both use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

Hope this will be helpful!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

There are many British expats in different countries that would benefit from this information that will not be monitoring the UK cruisers site. 

I was subscribed to the original thread, before it was merged, and so found this by default and therefore able to subscribe.

Obviously you cannot reach all posters but cruisers are likely to check the forums for their destinations so the Roatan port of call forum would seem to be an appropriate place to share any final decision.

• Like 3

We’re in the same position. We sail 7th September. London embassy still has no information, we’re ringing again tomorrow. I’ve also emailed the Miami embassy. So stressful. Wishing I hadn’t booked this trip now, but at the time of booking in January we didn’t need a visa, only a US one. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Probable reason is because the U.K. requires Honduran citizens to obtain a visa to visit U.K. as from July last year, which was imposed with no notice.  So unless the new government lift the visa requirement for Hondurans, U.K. visitors are for now going to need a visa to enter the country.

The Honduran Government announced this mid July and gave a 4 week transition period which seems to match what the previous U.K. Government gave Honduras last year. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/introduction-of-visa-requirement-for-honduran-nationals-visiting-uk

Edited by Snow Hill

41 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Probable reason is because the U.K. requires Honduran citizens to obtain a visa to visit U.K. as from July last year, which was imposed with no notice.  So unless the new government lift the visa requirement for Hondurans, U.K. visitors are for now going to need a visa to enter the country.

The Honduran Government announced this mid July and gave a 4 week transition period which seems to match what the previous U.K. Government gave Honduras last year. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/introduction-of-visa-requirement-for-honduran-nationals-visiting-uk

Yes, you are correct. Staff at the Honduran Embassy have ‘indicated’ that day visits by cruise ship may be visa exempt but cannot give clear guidance because they are awaiting official notification. In the meantime there are cruise passengers visiting Roatan this month and early September for whom there is no prospect of obtaining a visa because the embassy staff are overwhelmed and not responding to emails (the only mechanism for visa applications).

The cruise lines and TAs approach is, understandably, visas are the passengers’ responsibility and the only advice they can offer is to consult a visa application company such as CIBT or Sherpa, who say they cannot help because a visa requires personal attendance at the embassy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

Yes, you are correct. Staff at the Honduran Embassy have ‘indicated’ that day visits by cruise ship may be visa exempt but cannot give clear guidance because they are awaiting official notification. In the meantime there are cruise passengers visiting Roatan this month and early September for whom there is no prospect of obtaining a visa because the embassy staff are overwhelmed and not responding to emails (the only mechanism for visa applications).

The cruise lines and TAs approach is, understandably, visas are the passengers’ responsibility and the only advice they can offer is to consult a visa application company such as CIBT or Sherpa, who say they cannot help because a visa requires personal attendance at the embassy. 

Good summary of the mess Omega1.

I started calling embassy on 19th July, was told I couldn’t have an appointment as I was going on a cruise therefore wouldn’t need one.

But two weeks later the message changed to “highly unlikely” I’d need one, but now 3.5 weeks later there’s still no email to confirm.

I called the embassy again yesterday who said emails should be coming soon. I think they need to decide by Sunday 11th as that’s when the first cruise ship departs which will be affected by change on 15th as it docks in Roatan on the 15th. 

Just to add…. I’ve tried to get appointments with Honduran embassy in Miami a few weeks ago and was told I couldn’t have an appointment I wouldn’t need a visa for a cruise. And again anyway, no appointments available for August. Didn’t try other US locations though - will decide in the states if it’s worth all the pain of trying to get an emergency appointment in the states next week vs losing cruise.

If I hear UK people are denied boarding on 11th or I get confirmation from the port of Miami that I will be denied boarding on 17th, then the only thing I can think of to cut losses, will be to cancel all cruise extras (as I can 48 hours before sailing)…. To give us some money back to find a hotel/holiday somewhere near Miami/mexico etc. 

Then it’ll be a battle to make uk passports holders aware so they have a chance to get money back or change cruises as it doesn’t seem that there are even appointments available at London embassy for 3 months. 

I’ve tried everything I can to get a visa since 19th July and cannot. I’m having to just make peace that there’s a high risk I’ll lose my cruise without any recourse. I feel like the cruise companies should at least have some responsibility to rebook consumers, especially when there’s issues like this. I know it’s tough all round though. 

26 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

Hopefully there will be a cruise exemption, but if they copy what the previous U.K. Government rule that Honduran Citizens need a visa to visit, then I fear there will be no cruise exemption for British Passport Holders. 

49 minutes ago, Emma Berry said:

Good summary of the mess Omega1.

I started calling embassy on 19th July, was told I couldn’t have an appointment as I was going on a cruise therefore wouldn’t need one.

But two weeks later the message changed to “highly unlikely” I’d need one, but now 3.5 weeks later there’s still no email to confirm.

I called the embassy again yesterday who said emails should be coming soon. I think they need to decide by Sunday 11th as that’s when the first cruise ship departs which will be affected by change on 15th as it docks in Roatan on the 15th. 

Just to add…. I’ve tried to get appointments with Honduran embassy in Miami a few weeks ago and was told I couldn’t have an appointment I wouldn’t need a visa for a cruise. And again anyway, no appointments available for August. Didn’t try other US locations though - will decide in the states if it’s worth all the pain of trying to get an emergency appointment in the states next week vs losing cruise.

If I hear UK people are denied boarding on 11th or I get confirmation from the port of Miami that I will be denied boarding on 17th, then the only thing I can think of to cut losses, will be to cancel all cruise extras (as I can 48 hours before sailing)…. To give us some money back to find a hotel/holiday somewhere near Miami/mexico etc. 

Then it’ll be a battle to make uk passports holders aware so they have a chance to get money back or change cruises as it doesn’t seem that there are even appointments available at London embassy for 3 months. 

I’ve tried everything I can to get a visa since 19th July and cannot. I’m having to just make peace that there’s a high risk I’ll lose my cruise without any recourse. I feel like the cruise companies should at least have some responsibility to rebook consumers, especially when there’s issues like this. I know it’s tough all round though. 

It really is a Catch 22 and passengers carry all the risk- it’s impossible to get a visa but cruise lines say if we don’t have a visa we will be denied boarding and the risk isn’t covered by travel insurance. Hope you (we) get some good news soon. We sail from Southampton to Galveston on Oct 6 and then have a 7day cruise (same ship), so two separate cruises plus transfer to New Orleans - it’s a complete package sold by a UK TA.. Our plan B if they kick us off the ship in Galveston might be to rent a car for a week and do a mini road trip in Texas. We’re looking at booking something on a fully cancellable basis. In the meantime the TA is speaking to the cruise line (Princess) but we don’t expect to hear anything before the 15th.

• Like 1

I spoke to someone at Royal Caribbean and asked if we will still be able to board the cruise ship in Tampa if we don’t have a Honduran visa and was told as long as We have USA visa then we can board, just won’t be able to get off the ship at Roatan. 

15 minutes ago, Ems Jayne said:

I spoke to someone at Royal Caribbean and asked if we will still be able to board the cruise ship in Tampa if we don’t have a Honduran visa and was told as long as We have USA visa then we can board, just won’t be able to get off the ship at Roatan. 

That’s interesting, were they aware of the specific issue facing U.K. passport holders? By visa, do you mean an Esta?

15 minutes ago, Ems Jayne said:

Ems, thank you! That’s interesting as all the advice on their website is that we’ll be denied boarding. But I’d be happy with  staying on the ship. 

I rang back and spoke to someone else, he said he couldn’t guarantee we’d be allowed to board without it! I think I’m going to cancel the cruise. I’ll lose £380 cancelling now, or potentially all of it if they don’t let us board in Tampa.

Hi, I only found out earlier today that we were required to have a visa to enter Honduras on 15th August. My cruise is in 17th August on Icon. After having a panic attack or more like a full blown heart attack I  called the Honduran Embassy in London they didn’t understand English well and advised I email and don’t expect a reply for weeks… ok.. I then tried the Embassy in Miami but no luck. So I decided to call RC in USA. After 40 mins on call and great help from Paul he spoken to the LT and Reservation Teams and told me that as a British citizen I am guaranteed to board but as things stand I can go to Honduras port but if anything changes all that would happen is they will not allow me off the ship. I asked can he confirm in email but he mentioned it was not necessary as the call is recorded and notes on my account. He kept on reassuring me that I will be able to board. I hope this helps 

7 minutes ago, David1828 said:

Hi, I only found out earlier today that we were required to have a visa to enter Honduras on 15th August. My cruise is in 17th August on Icon. After having a panic attack or more like a full blown heart attack I  called the Honduran Embassy in London they didn’t understand English well and advised I email and don’t expect a reply for weeks… ok.. I then tried the Embassy in Miami but no luck. So I decided to call RC in USA. After 40 mins on call and great help from Paul he spoken to the LT and Reservation Teams and told me that as a British citizen I am guaranteed to board but as things stand I can go to Honduras port but if anything changes all that would happen is they will not allow me off the ship. I asked can he confirm in email but he mentioned it was not necessary as the call is recorded and notes on my account. He kept on reassuring me that I will be able to board. I hope this helps 

Thank you David! I’m on the same cruise. RCI only gave told me they could not help - to call cibt. I know I’m cynical but I’m worried that they lack of clarify means zero…. We’ve until 11:59pm on 15th Aug to cancel all the extras to get a refund. That gives us at least some money (quite a lot as extras are extortionate!) towards another holiday- as we won’t get the cruise fare back. If we’re denied boarding at the port of Miami we lose everything!

I’m going to go to port of Miami on 15th August and ask the officials if they will be letting us board. Apparently, according to RCI, they’re the only ones who know! It’s all just rubbish and no one knows what’s going on until 15th. 😢 

Thanks so much for phoning, spending all that time on with RCI and sharing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, David1828 said:

Thanks for the update David. Please could you come back a let us know how you get on. Have a great cruise (hopefully).

I wouldn’t be convinced,  😞 I know of at least 2 people who were told by rcl they can’t guarantee anything until they hear from the embassy.

57 minutes ago, Emma101010 said:

Thank you David! I’m on the same cruise. RCI only gave told me they could not help - to call cibt. I know I’m cynical but I’m worried that they lack of clarify means zero…. We’ve until 11:59pm on 15th Aug to cancel all the extras to get a refund. That gives us at least some money (quite a lot as extras are extortionate!) towards another holiday- as we won’t get the cruise fare back. If we’re denied boarding at the port of Miami we lose everything!

I’m going to go to port of Miami on 15th August and ask the officials if they will be letting us board. Apparently, according to RCI, they’re the only ones who know! It’s all just rubbish and no one knows what’s going on until 15th. 😢 

Thanks so much for phoning, spending all that time on with RCI and sharing. 

Hi Emma thanks for the reply. I’m due to fly out on 15th to Miami obviously not having iron clad guarantee from either cibt and written one from RCI doesn’t help. I originally called RCI on UK number and they said according to them I have no problem going to Roatan as on Visa Central they use, it states you don’t need one… even though the Uk gov says you do.. Ok so decide to call RCI in USA to reaffirm it. They when through all the hoops to get me info from various departments and stated I will be allowed on the ship and worst case cannot get off at Roatan. Apparently this happens frequently. I hope we get on as right now I am still going out. The question is when did the announcement say we needed a visa was it in July ? I didn’t check then I did check in June and everything was ok if that was the case I don’t think I could have got the visa due to the high demand once announced..  I might even try call port of Miami of any more clarity…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The U.K. announced that Hondurans would need a visa to enter the U.K. on Wednesday 19th July.(just found it on the gov website)
The changes for U.K. citizens entering Honduras is thought to be a reaction to this, so just a few weeks ago.

Edited by Izzziee

1 hour ago, David1828 said:

Hi Emma thanks for the reply. I’m due to fly out on 15th to Miami obviously not having iron clad guarantee from either cibt and written one from RCI doesn’t help. I originally called RCI on UK number and they said according to them I have no problem going to Roatan as on Visa Central they use, it states you don’t need one… even though the Uk gov says you do.. Ok so decide to call RCI in USA to reaffirm it. They when through all the hoops to get me info from various departments and stated I will be allowed on the ship and worst case cannot get off at Roatan. Apparently this happens frequently. I hope we get on as right now I am still going out. The question is when did the announcement say we needed a visa was it in July ? I didn’t check then I did check in June and everything was ok if that was the case I don’t think I could have got the visa due to the high demand once announced..  I might even try call port of Miami of any more clarity…

Good luck David - and I promise to post on here the min i know from actually going to port of Miami on 15th. If there’s any denied boarding risks I’ll be posting on all places I can to help others have a chance to cancel. I think there’s a lot of people clueless! I only found out on 19th July because I clicked on the documents issued… I like you checked in June (actually a few times over the last 18 months!!)! But one odd morning I decided to check again and nearly had a heart attack. The uk Honduran embassy calmed me down on the 19th but since then it’s become quite clear, the situation is pretty much hanging, waiting to see which way it goes on the 15th. 😢 wishing you and everyone good luck. 🤞 let’s hope all those verbal reassurances come true. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Emma101010 said:

Good luck David - and I promise to post on here the min i know from actually going to port of Miami on 15th. If there’s any denied boarding risks I’ll be posting on all places I can to help others have a chance to cancel. I think there’s a lot of people clueless! I only found out on 19th July because I clicked on the documents issued… I like you checked in June (actually a few times over the last 18 months!!)! But one odd morning I decided to check again and nearly had a heart attack. The uk Honduran embassy calmed me down on the 19th but since then it’s become quite clear, the situation is pretty much hanging, waiting to see which way it goes on the 15th. 😢 wishing you and everyone good luck. 🤞 let’s hope all those verbal reassurances come true. 

Thanks Emma! I sincerely hope everything is ok. I will be flying out on 15th and like you my wife checked over the past 18 months until we checked again today and had a heart attack! I honestly think with lack of support and help from Honduran embassy and near impossibility to get a visa their is nothing we can do and hope common sense kicks in.. have a safe trip and I will be looking out for your news the moment you get it 👍

• Like 1

I found out about this last week. I emailed the embassy and this morning received an email detailing the visa process. However, no specifics regarding whether this is required for cruises. One of the requirements in the process is to give details of the hotel for overnight accommodation. The ship won’t overnight, so I have replied asking for clarity on cruises. 

I also contacted Princess and was told, in writing, that they won’t allow us on board without required visas. This is in case of any emergency requiring debarkation in a country with visa requirements. 

i will be holding my breath for updates from here and will update myself if I hear back from the embassy. 

• Like 1