Underwater digital camera

Hi guys, in a few weeks or months, will be goin to the e Caribbean, an just might take snorkel tours, so am wonderin what a good, but not to expensive underwater digital camera, to buy, an would it come with recharger, batteries, memory card & etc, any suggestions? Thanks.

7 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi guys, in a few weeks or months, will be goin to the e Caribbean, an just might take snorkel tours, so am wonderin what a good, but not to expensive underwater digital camera, to buy, an would it come with recharger, batteries, memory card & etc, any suggestions? Thanks.

I am absolutely not a water person but the most recommended camera for snorkeling and non-professional underwater photography is the Olympus tough series. The current model (TG7) is available on Amazon for about $500. For that you get a camera that by all reports is nearly indestructible. A good general purpose shooter as well.

A fairly thorough review: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/om-system-tough-tg-7-review

Amazon link: OM SYSTEM Tough TG-7 Red Underwater Camera, Waterproof, Freeze Proof, High Resolution Bright, 4K Video 44x Macro Shooting (Successor Olympus TG-6) https://a.co/d/gUAjZjI

Dave

I have an older TG and I like it.  Just remember that most underwater cameras DO NOT FLOAT.  If you let go of them they go to the bottom.  You need to buy a flotation strap to go w the camera and make sure to test everything in your pool or bathtub before you take it onto the open ocean.

DON

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Just remember that most underwater cameras DO NOT FLOAT...

Nice catch, Don. Not-a-water-guy forgot that excellent piece of advice.

There are a bunch of them. Link to the search: FLOTATION STRAPS

Dave

Edited by pierces

• 2 weeks later...

I have a TG5 and would recommend the OM System waterproof camera also. It will likely have a cord for charging the battery in camera rather than a charger block. It will not have a memory card included, but those are inexpensive. It will have 1 battery, which seems to last pretty long, but for me, it's a 2nd camera so it gets less use.

It takes great food pictures, better than my 'good' camera! I take it if it's rainy or if I go to the beach, because it is weatherproof. I have not gone snorkeling with this camera. I had a TG2 that got lost. I did use it for snorkeling, but I found it a challenge. I couldn't see the screen well through my mask, which was leaking and salt water was getting in my eyes. More my problem than the camera.

Beef Brocolli.jpg

RIP Pecan Pie.jpg

As a scuba diver (dry much too long these days), I had great luck shopping for Canon PowerShot cameras on eBay. Started with the S90 (actually got a couple of them when I dropped and broke one), and S100. Even got a S120 on a great price, but they seem to be stupid expensive now. Couple the camera with a Canon waterproof enclosure and you have a great pocket camera that can go anywhere.