Lattitude (previously 28 degree) credit card new fee

Once we get home I'll check how the exchange rates for our various overseas purchases compare with the XE rates at time of transaction - the XE graph function allows you to compare by date and time in 30 minute increments.

Yes it is called,  as I said, Coles No Annual Fee Platinum Mastercard 

Not sure where poster thinks it has an annual fee of $99. It does not have an annual fee. 

It has a $5:international cash advance fee - I never use my credit card to get cash advances.

And, yes, a 3% fee on purchases - I use my credit card very little overseas so, competitive rate or not, that is ok for me. 

There are other Coles cards that do have the $99 annual fee, not the platinum one.  You are right about the $5 being for cash advances. I presume you have a debit card for that, which does not have forex changes.

well, sure, there are other Coles cards that do have an annual fee - but when I said mine didnt, even without me saying which one it was, it seemed rather odd that somebody was disputing that and telling me it did.

As if I somehow didnt know if my own card had an annual fee. 🤷‍♀️

Ive never taken a cash advance on a credit card, either in Australia or elsewhere, so cost of that is irelevant to me

Your first post read as if purchases on the card incurred that $5 surcharge - which they do not.

I dont recall doing so on my debit card overseas either -  I dont spend much money overseas (as oppossed to pre paid inclusive trips)  and I organise cash before  I leave Australia (yes I know that has a cost too)  and use a  card for some purchases..

• Like 2

Also, some cards have fees waived for certain account holders. Our Macquarie Bank black card normally costs $249 p/a with no international purchase fees; however, the annual fee is waived for us due to other products we have with the bank.

We changed to this bank four years ago and up till then always used our 28 degrees card overseas but had never needed to use it since.

Posted (edited)

HSBC Everyday Global "debit" card is a good free debit card as it has no account, overseas ATM, transfer or transaction fees etc..

And with it, if you become a premier member (see criteria), you can apply for their Premier World Mastercard which is close to being the best high-end Qantas reward point earning "$0 annual fee" credit card in Australia IMHO.

Edited by cruise_critical

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

but when I said mine didnt, even without me saying which one it was, it seemed rather odd that somebody was disputing that and telling me it did.

Sorry if I upset you Kristelle, but you originally only said that you had a Coles card, not which particular one it was. I've got one of those also, and it does have the annual fee attached.  I never use it overseas.

Unlike you, I try to use my two "no forex" credit and debit cards as much as possible when overseas, rather than exchange actual cash before I go.  Those hidden charges can add up if I were to use my usual domestic cards a lot.  In some places, I would feel very insecure carrying much cash around.

15 hours ago, Kristelle said:

And, yes, a 3% fee on purchases - I use my credit card very little overseas so, competitive rate or not, that is ok for me. 

This 3% would set me back upwards of $700 next year. It isn't just the overseas use, but pre-booking overseas travel and accommodation. I am currently reserving UK hotels for next June/July, then I will also have $US onboard Princess from the UK, plus car rental, the tube, food, tours and tickets. This is where a real travel card is worthwhile, and a $0 annual fee is only a minor consideration.

Many of the cards listed on this thread are indeed fee-free, but come with a similar commission built into currency conversion, which can make them rather expensive "fee-free" card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruise_critical said:

HSBC Everyday Global "debit" card is a good free debit card as it has no account, overseas ATM, transfer or transaction fees etc

I ditched my HSBC card, after a series of problems with it being recognised in four different countries last year.   I would use it for one transaction, then they would block it, even though I had notified them of the countries I would be travelling to.

19 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Yes it is called,  as I said, Coles No Annual Fee Platinum Mastercard 

Not sure where poster thinks it has an annual fee of $99. It does not have an annual fee. 

It has a $5:international cash advance fee - I never use my credit card to get cash advances.

I too have this card definitely no fees.

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Coles no annual fee card is not a Platinum Mastercard. The Coles equivalent of a platinum card is their rewards card.

It is  literally called Coles Platinum No Annual Fee Mastercard.

3 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Sorry if I upset you Kristelle, but you originally only said that you had a Coles card, not which particular one it was. I've got one of those also, and it does have the annual fee attached.  I never use it overseas.

Unlike you, I try to use my two "no forex" credit and debit cards as much as possible when overseas, rather than exchange actual cash before I go.  Those hidden charges can add up if I were to use my usual domestic cards a lot.  In some places, I would feel very insecure carrying much cash around.

You didn't  upset me - but, to be honest, annoyed me a bit that you were telling me what annual fees my card had and that it charged $5 on international purchases  when it did not do either of those things.

I do not carry much cash around - I carry a small amount of cash and a credit card and most overseas trips I take don't require much spending

Scenic river cruise, for example, is all inclusive

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

This 3% would set me back upwards of $700 next year. It isn't just the overseas use, but pre-booking overseas travel and accommodation. I am currently reserving UK hotels for next June/July, then I will also have $US onboard Princess from the UK, plus car rental, the tube, food, tours and tickets. This is where a real travel card is worthwhile, and a $0 annual fee is only a minor consideration.

Many of the cards listed on this thread are indeed fee-free, but come with a similar commission built into currency conversion, which can make them rather expensive "fee-free" card.

Yes of course different peoples usage will mean different things work better for them.

What works for you mightn't be what works best for me and vice versa. 

We are getting rid of Latitude also.  The addition of monthly fees and increase in the interest rate has made us look at other options.  It's a shame we've travelled with it since 2007 and it's been great.  We tried to make a purchase in the US years ago and the credit card company stopped the transaction.  The seller's bank details were going through a Caribbean account and so it was flagged with Latitude as fraudulent.  It took no time to sort out but I was so pleased they were all over it.  I think they will lose more people than they anticipate with the changes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kristelle said:

It is  literally called Coles Platinum No Annual Fee Mastercard.

It may still carry that name for existing accounts, and is likely part of the confusion as to why there was thought to be an annual fee. That card is no longer available to new customers. Coles has 3 options - No annual fee, Low Rate, Rewards. With the removal of Platinum from the card names, it gives them the option of downgrading usual platinum benefits, and they have already cut the number of flybuy points and have started to transition customers over to the new versions of the cards.

Coles cards are also handled by Latitude, the same company that is adding the monthly fee to 28 Degrees. The Coles Platinum reward card used to have no commission on foreign currency, but that also got changed to 3% on 1st July. I see a trend here.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

It still carries that name for new applications too - I just pretended to apply and that is what it comes up as - Coles Platinum No Annual Fee Mastercard

https://www.coles.com.au/credit-cards/no-annual-fee

click Apply Now and that is what it shows you.

Very strange.

They say they have withdrawn the Platinum card, yet there it is on the application page.

Edited by arxcards