More mechanical issues for Carnival Vista

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

And obviously it could be a hundred different things but don't be surprised one bit if cancellation notices go out in the next couple days as they look for a dry dock to complete the repair. With Panorama last fall, they got exactly one 'limp' cruise in before she was taken out of service for approximately 45 days.

Today on the Vista we are in Freeport and we’re supposed to leave at 4:15pm. But apparently they are attempting to work on the situation today and we won’t leave Freeport now until midnight. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, splintz said:

Today on the Vista we are in Freeport and we’re supposed to leave at 4:15pm. But apparently they are attempting to apply a bandage so we can limp back to home port and we won’t leave Freeport now until midnight. 

FIFY.

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2024 at 11:06 AM, chengkp75 said:

The only thing "similar" that we know, is that the "car broke down".  The azipod could have (using car part analogies) "brakes" the last time, and "radiator hose" this time.  Not really similar.  An azipod is not one thing, it is an entire system, just like your car.

Your brakes are not one thing, they are an entire subsystem.

...but when your rotors warp, then your calipers leak, then a brake line fails - it's all a problem with your brakes.

Azipods are just like brakes. They are subsystem, that on this ship obviously has reliability issues.

WHY this subsystem has issues is pretty irrelevant to the fact that it obviously does. Could be design, could be maintenance, could be installation, could be usage... but that is irrelevant to the fact that they just aren't reliable on this ship.

On 8/12/2024 at 11:02 AM, chengkp75 said:

And yet, those ships have the exact same equipment.

The cruise ships without azipods have the exact same azipods? That seems, unlikely.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 64funwhisper said:

any update I leave on the 24th that is only 10 days aways so getting nervous no announcement has been made what do you all think?

I think Carnival is doing what they (and anyone else would) always do:

Wait until they know whether the issue is fixed "permanently", or fixed "good enough for a while", or "we're not going to make the next sailing" to determine what course of action they need to take.

If the ship is worked on today in Freeport (which should have access to a non-zero workforce of "ship repair technicians") then they stand a reasonable chance of at least fixing it for "a while", though I doubt any kind of permanent fix is possible, since "something" seems to go wrong often enough, and they just had a drydock early this year.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, splintz said:

Today on the Vista we are in Freeport and we’re supposed to leave at 4:15pm. But apparently they are attempting to work on the situation today and we won’t leave Freeport now until midnight. 

I'd actually take that as a good sign.

1 hour ago, 64funwhisper said:

any update I leave on the 24th that is only 10 days aways so getting nervous no announcement has been made what do you all think?

I'll be on that same sailing on the 24th and sure hope that we are given advance notice of issues/delays.   Waiting until we are onboard is a bit too late . . . . 

Posted (edited)

So just to review the situation with Panorama when she broke down last year. And let's remember that every mechanical failure is unique so direct comparisons can't be made.

If memory serves, Carnival cancelled approximately 6 weeks worth of sailings on or about Thursday, roughly 6 days after the initial mechanical failure offering those scheduled on the next 2 sailings 150% FCC and compensation for unrecoverable travel expense (or a full refund). For those of us on later cancelled sailings we got 125%. I remember being on the phone with my PVP when she dropped everything getting us the last couple of cabins on Radiance literally as John Heald was doing his live stream.

Later, I privately asked him to get our PVP a commendation for her miraculously saving the trip for everyone in our group; all traveling from 3 separate cities. He said he would and later surprised us with a gift in our stateroom for being so kind hearted, complimentary, and understanding.

I wish everyone well as the Vista situation unfolds. Let's all hope for the best. 

Edited by jsglow

7 hours ago, splintz said:

Iam supposed to be cruising an August 24, wondering how everything else is on board. Is the AC working?

59 minutes ago, JennyD1 said:

Iam supposed to be cruising an August 24, wondering how everything else is on board. Is the AC working?

The AC is very cold. Our room is really chilly when we come in at night. Also the bars are also nice and cold. 

1 hour ago, splintz said:

The AC is very cold. Our room is really chilly when we come in at night. Also the bars are also nice and cold. 

Thanks. Glad to hear that it's working.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Just a curiosity question when it comes to the value of the compensation offered .... does a cruise to the Bahamas destinations and a cruise to ABC tend to cost the same per day?  I was under the perhaps mistaken understanding that ABC is a more premium itinerary, so swapping out that itinerary with the Bahamas doesn't seem like an equal-value proposition.  Perhaps the $400 OBC corrects that ... but isn't the OBC supposed to be compensation for the inconvenience and disappointment?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardengalaz said:

Just a curiosity question when it comes to the value of the compensation offered .... does a cruise to the Bahamas destinations and a cruise to ABC tend to cost the same per day?  I was under the perhaps mistaken understanding that ABC is a more premium itinerary, so swapping out that itinerary with the Bahamas doesn't seem like an equal-value proposition.  Perhaps the $400 OBC corrects that ... but isn't the OBC supposed to be compensation for the inconvenience and disappointment?  

I agree! ABC and/or Southern itineraries are generally more expensive! 

• Like 1

We were cancelled on the Panorama last December when it had propulsion problems. Very disappointing but we salvaged our vacation.  We are looking at the Vista in February and now I'm feeling a bit hesitant!

I am leaving on Sunday August 18. I just received this email:

Dear Carnival Vista Guest,

This week, our shipboard and shoreside technical teams have been working to resolve an issue that is limiting Carnival Vista’s cruising speed. Otherwise, there is no impact to ship operations.

To accommodate our repair plan, the ship will be arriving very early Sunday morning, August 18, to Port Canaveral (approximately 3:30 AM) to allow for a full day of work with our engineers and technical experts. We are also planning a later departure that evening to maximize the workday, but given the sea day on Monday, this will not affect our arrival time for Half Moon Cay on Tuesday, August 20.

Please continue with your plans to get to the cruise terminal for embarkation within your pre-selected terminal arrival appointment. Once on board, you will be able to take advantage of all the usual fun activities and entertainment that the team has going for you, but as is customary, we will not be able to open certain venues and services until we enter international waters.

Captain Francesco Fiorentino and the entire Carnival Vista team are looking forward to hosting you for a fun and memorable voyage next week.

Sincerely,
Colleen Oliverio
VP, Guest Services - Contact Centers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, gardengalaz said:

They also received a 25%FCC.

• Like 2