Weather expected on a Transatlantic cruise at the end of November.

Bobreg

Hi everyone.

We are booked on the Moon on a Transatlantic from Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale at the end of November. Our last TA from Europe to the US was in 2009 on a bigger ship (Independence OTS) and we don't remember what the weather was on the crossing. We would like to try the different restaurants especially the ones outside but we would like to have the experience of the experienced cruisers as to which part of the cruise would be best to dine outside.  We know that many factors can change the prediction (tropical storms, El Ninio, etc) but we just want to have a ballpark figure of when is the best time to book outside venues (between Lisbon and the canaries or after to Fll).

Any suggestions is welcomed as we are totally in the dark.

Thanks.

Lise and Robert.

I was on Silver Dawn transatlantic last November/December.  I never book The Grill prior to a cruise because you just don’t know what is going to happen.  It might be fully booked, but rain puts some people off and the tables end up half empty on the night.  I ate out there a few times, sometimes wearing my puffer jacket.  I don’t remember any particular weather events though.  Really, any day should be okay.  It is usually warmer as the ship heads south, obviously.  I would just wing it!

Posted (edited)

On that itinerary, the emergency drill will be on the 23rd, so the first sea day on 24th will likely be the Captain's welcome party and a formal (optional) night. After that you are in the Canaries and the temperature is likely to be warm enough not to worry about for the rest of the cruise.

To actually answer your question, the weather can be anything but the outside venues are covered, and have wind shields and overhead warmers so I would have no hesitation booking whatever venue you fancy for whenever you fancy.

And remember that it is very easy once on board to cancel a reservation you don't wish to use, but may be harder to make one.

Edited by jollyjones

Thanks for the advice. I guess we will follow your suggestion and book the restaurant we want to try even if we have to cancel later.

Something to think about. It will be less than one month to the shortest day. It may get dark fairly early. You might want to check the sunset times and average daily temperatures for your ports. The transatlantics that cross the equator probably have more warm days.hope you have a great cruise. Please come back and give us an update. 

I ran this up for our late November Lisbon to FLL TA last Fall on Dawn.  That said, one never knows from one year to the next.  In 2023, it was more pleasant in Lisbon than the traditional temperatures would indicate.  Seas were very calm.

2022 Weather

Lisbon                        25 Nov, Low 52, High 63

Canary Islands         28 Nov, Low 68, High 77

Antigua                        7 Dec, Low 73, High 84

Puerto Rico                 8 Dec, Low 77, High 84

2021 Weather

Lisbon                        25 Nov, Low 48, High 54

Canary Islands         28 Nov, Low 61, High 73

Antigua                        7 Dec, Low 79, High 84

Puerto Rico                 8 Dec, Low 77, High 84

2020 Weather

Lisbon                        25 Nov, Low 54, High 61