*LIVE* from the Norwegian Encore – 7-Night Alaska and Glacier Bay August 11-18, 2024

IMG_7727.thumb.jpeg.42b1f68f8934c92f913f12c441dd9ff2.jpeg

Town is 7 miles away. It is a short port call. The last shuttle back is 11:00 am. Don’t miss the shuttle. 

There was an embellished, fabricated story a few weeks back when a family was “left behind”. And,,, maybe in the 2 1/2 hours between last shuttle and ships departure, they could have just jumped into a taxi or Uber (yes, available here) they would not have been “left behind”. Shopping? Drinking? Whatever, but they missed the ships departure. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Town is 7 miles away. It is a short port call. The last shuttle back is 11:00 am. Don’t miss the shuttle. 

There was an embellished, fabricated story a few weeks back when a family was “left behind”. And,,, maybe in the 2 1/2 hours between last shuttle and ships departure, they could have just jumped into a taxi or Uber (yes, available here) they would not have been “left behind”. Shopping? Drinking? Whatever, but they missed the ships departure. 

Yeah, I was dubious of the initial and sensationalized story, but the very basic takeaways remain:

1) NCL excursion guarantee means it waits for NCL busses/tours/shuttles, not individuals. If you are not on the bus, the ship leaves.

2) Always take the numbers of port agents from the Freestyle with you, either in paper or as a photo on your phone. Research ahead of time and keep a note of numbers for taxis or info on Uber/Lyft in the ports.

3) Keep your passport either on you or in the cabin safe where NCL can find them.

4) Make sure NCL has a way to contact you when you go ashore. Every now and then, check that your phone is working.

5) Keep an eye on the time, always. Don't assume you can get on the last shuttle or tender easily. (I personally like to get back to the ship 90 minutes before all aboard, to be safe.)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Having seen video of the line passengers waiting to get on the bus from the town back to Ward Cove

it somewhat makes me scared for my cruise next year when both the encore and joy will be docked together at ward cove 

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I have booked a Ketchikan shore excursion via NCL that is scheduled to end at 11 am , I am not sure how can I get back if the last shuttle is at 11. I am thinking to cancel and book a shorter excursion

30 minutes ago, M1230 said:

I have booked a Ketchikan shore excursion via NCL that is scheduled to end at 11 am , I am not sure how can I get back if the last shuttle is at 11. I am thinking to cancel and book a shorter excursion

shore excursions have decided buses just for the excursion

the shuttle bus is only needed if you want to go town

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, M1230 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Shore Excursion buses pick up and drop off at the dock. You have no problem. 

The free shuttle is for those who want to go to town on their own. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

it somewhat makes me scared for my cruise next year when both the encore and joy will be docked together at ward cove 

They have nice, dedicated double decker buses. But, Berth 4 is a hike from downtown creek street area. 

IMG_7928.jpeg

IMG_7734.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Can you tell that we’re 15 minutes past all aboard time and the crew is tearing down the gangway area…

Some are playing “chicken” with the captain. 

IMG_7990.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Choir of Man is a must-see show on the Encore. The Birds attended opening night when this cast of the COM installed on the Encore in April. 

A cast normally signs-on as a group and signs-off as a group. This week, one cast member left their contract early for personal reasons and a new cast member installed. So,,, the show schedules are all messed up to give the new cast member time to rehearse on the real set. 

IMG_8049.jpeg

IMG_8050.jpeg

IMG_8051.jpeg

IMG_8052.jpeg

IMG_8047.jpeg

IMG_8046.jpeg

• Like 3

I couldn't agree more on Choir of Man. We were on the Encore for its first two cruises in 2019 and I saw it 6 times then and got to know the performers. Great guys and they performed on different venues on the ship also saw the show 4 more times on the Encore on the Panama Canal cruise fall of 2022. The Encore is my favorite ship.

18 minutes ago, cruiseInd1 said:

do you know if priority boarding is worth at NCL encore ?

To me, it is a pure money grab. Not useful. 

- Priority boarding if you are arriving before 11:00 am. Some benefit

- Priority tendering - none on this cruise

- Priority disembarkation - not really useful to us. 

- We never want to eat in our room 

- We never use the spa, especially on port days. 
- Canapés I can get something better at the buffet or Observation Lounge 

• Like 2