Buying Onboard Credit for B-to-B Cruises

We have two booking numbers for a back-to-back cruises (7+7 days). Each has some OBC included. 

We plan to buy some OBC before we leave for the cruise and, having not done this before, we are wondering if we just put the total amount we buy on the first cruise and what is left over will be transfered to the second cruise. Any info or ideas on what is the best way to do this would be appreciated.

If the bookings are linked the obc will be carried over. In addition, non-refundable OBC from the second cruise will be added to that from the first cruise after the first cruise and that total will be exhausted before refundable obc is used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure they put a Link ID on the bookings. You need to be in the sane room and you have to be in the same order on the booking for a link code to work. If you are switching rooms or passengers 1 & 2 are flipped, it won't work.

Guest services can take care of it if you can't link the bookings.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

We will buy some shipboard credit before we leave for this cruise. Is there anything we cannot use this credit for? Gratuities? Thanks for any info!

Just something I noticed when looking to buy OBC (as a Canadian), you buy them in USD and pay in USD so will get dinged on the higher exchange as well as credit card FX fees if yours charges them. We have a lot of OBC already, but it quite enough to cover our tips. I noticed if we instead prepay the tips for one of us we can pay in CAD and the exchange works out to only $132.00.  I chose to do it that way instead. If that makes sense, lol.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Just something I noticed when looking to buy OBC (as a Canadian), you buy them in USD and pay in USD so will get dinged on the higher exchange as well as credit card FX fees if yours charges them. We have a lot of OBC already, but it quite enough to cover our tips. I noticed if we instead prepay the tips for one of us we can pay in CAD and the exchange works out to only $132.00.  I chose to do it that way instead. If that makes sense, lol.

Oh, boy, thanks so much! How strange: when we prepaid our tips last cruise and the amount owing showed automatically in Canadian dollars on the HAL website. So,  buying OBC works differently for some reason.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

How strange: when we prepaid our tips last cruise and the amount owing showed automatically in Canadian dollars on the HAL website. So,  buying OBC works differently for some reason.

That is correct.  Flights and Pre Pay Crew Appreciation are classed as 'Travel Extras' and based on your HAL account 'home' currency.  In your case CAD, in my case Euro.  

Other 'Extras' ie wifi, obc, flowers, etc are based on the shipboard currency of USD.

• Thanks 1