Family reunion cruise with smaller children- comparing Royal Caribbean and Carnival

I am trying to plan a family reunion for our adult children and their small children (will be 2, 5, 6, & 10). We have the options narrowed down to the Carnival Mardi Gras or the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas. I have gotten the idea from reading reviews that Carnival Cruises may have better Kids' Clubs for smaller kids. It would be nice that the 2 year old could participate. Any thoughts?

I would go the boards here of each line and ask about programs for the 2y/o.  I know Carnival starts their program at 2 and will change diapers.  Have not sailed Royal so do not follow that board.  EM

Talk to the parents.  We actually sailed Cunard to Norway because we had a 2 year old, and Cunard was the only cruise line that would take 2 year olds into drop off daycare that sailed to Norway.  As insane as it is to sail Cunard with small children, it was worth it for the ports and daycare is an absolute necessity for our family.

Other parents of 2 year olds will prefer to not utilize the kids club.  2 is a tough age because some 2 year old will be love the kids club and never want to leave and others will refuse to stay.  You have to be prepared for the possibility that the child might refuse to attend the kids club at all.  They'll give the parents a beeper and call them if the child cannot adjust.

Please note that many RC ships have a babies and tots nursery.  The hours aren't guaranteed and you have to pay for them but if you feel strongly about sailing on RC versus Carnival its something to consider (we need guaranteed daycare so its not something I've used or could advise you on).

Some RCCL ships will have small splash pad areas for diapered kids, I don’t think any carnival ships have any water play areas for them (no cruise ships allow swim diapers in pools). Carnival kids clubs start at 2, RCCL 3, but many ships have nurseries for a cost.