Littleton Christchurc gondola

Greetings. I see we dock in Lyttleton, and wish to take the gondola in Christchurch. How far do we travel to get to the gondola? Should we take a tour? Ship tour is sold out but I think there are others we could try. Thank you for your advice. 

14 minutes ago, dianeh said:

Greetings. I see we dock in Lyttleton, and wish to take the gondola in Christchurch. How far do we travel to get to the gondola? Should we take a tour? Ship tour is sold out but I think there are others we could try. Thank you for your advice. 

Getting out of the Port is another thing.. but that aside.. the Gondola is only a 5-min drive from the Port. Presumably you're going into Christchurch first? Bus, taxi, Uber? Do the Gondola on the way back from the city. Perhaps get the bus/shuttle into the city that is offered from the Port.. do your thing in the city.. then catch an uber to the Gondola. It's not a bad wee walk down the hill from the Gondola back to Lyttleton (have done it both ways - you sure get a sweat up going up!! But going down is easy haha). 

Unless it's changed in the last 18 months you can't walk off the Lyttelton wharf. There used to be free shuttles that dropped off in Lyttelton although I believe the drop-off point has changed since we were there.

Posted (edited)

The shuttle from the ship to Lyttleton drops you close to Norwich Quay anyway.

For those who feed like they have had one creme brulee too many and are feeling fit, you can walk there via the Bridle Path. The path is accessed by some stairs, just to the east of the big roundabout (below the start of the tunnel). 

It is a steep walk of around 2km, and only for those fit at heart. Whichever way. I believe the ship tour would be a waste of money.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unless it's changed in the last 18 months you can't walk off the Lyttelton wharf. There used to be free shuttles that dropped off in Lyttelton although I believe the drop-off point has changed since we were there.

Still the same - passengers can only leave the wharf on the shuttle bus (free) that drops people off close to the centre of Lyttelton.