Princess Grill Off-Menu Ordering

Desert Cruisers

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Sandro

We were so lucky to have Sandro as our M’d as first time in QG. He said he is going to QV in Aug for Med cruises. Probably back onboard QV now. 

• Like 1

We've never observed too much "fawning"... we are regular and predictable enough to be addressed (and address) by name and have our glasses filled with our predictable drink even before the menu arrives.  Maybe we are too familiar but don't care. 

Maybe we enjoy the ambience and atmosphere of the Grills and the company of so many familiar faces (including fellow passengers) so much we don't really notice "others" but it would be distressing that anyone would feel ignored or slighted.  

I have real issues with Cunard "management" ashore but cannot, honestly, fault the folks who make us come back again and again.  And they are given major points for having nothing whatsoever do with "Silent Disco" and "Hey Guys" christenings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2024 at 10:51 PM, NE John said:

I agree. Some QG’ers may have thought M’d Sandro was kow-towing to DW recently but it was a simple situation that he could speak his Napoli dialect with her. He probably doesn’t get a chance to speak his dialect too much so he took advantage of that. They became fast friends, but no kow-towing. 

I agree.  Sandro was our M’d in QG on QE last year, and was a delight.  We have frequently been seated in close vicinity to widely-known guests, and I can in all honesty attest they have been treated no differently to other guests.  I have never witnessed any

k-towing behaviour from any Cunard staff, senior or other.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I agree.  Sandro was our M’d in QG on QE last year, and was a delight.  We have frequently been seated in close vicinity to widely-known guests, and I can in all honesty attest they have been treated no differently to other guests.  I have never witnessed any

k-towing behaviour from any Cunard staff, senior or other.  

It's more often than not 'in the eye of the beholder'. That's not to say there aren't any precious past passengers who 'expect' as I'm sure there are such folk around, apparently, but like you, haven't seen any fawning or the like and as I boringly say, we have a few QG nights under our belts so think we have enough experience to say so. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

It's more often than not 'in the eye of the beholder'. That's not to say there aren't any precious past passengers who 'expect' as I'm sure there are such folk around, apparently, but like you, haven't seen any fawning or the like and as I boringly say, we have a few QG nights under our belts so think we have enough experience to say so. 🙂

As a QG rookie, my first impressions of QG (did PG beforehand) is that the atmosphere was laid back, professional, and unfortunately for my wallet, I felt at home. I understand there may be one-off stories of someone being fawned over, but that the general vibe is far from those one-offs. But maybe I just know enough to be dangerous!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, NE John said:

As a QG rookie, my first impressions of QG (did PG beforehand) is that the atmosphere was laid back, professional, and unfortunately for my wallet, I felt at home. I understand there may be one-off stories of someone being fawned over, but that the general vibe is far from those one-offs. But maybe I just know enough to be dangerous!

Great experience. You can see why we and many, many others are hooked.

I often think there are two QGs. The stuffy, stuffed shirt one one or two have  banged on about in the past and and the convivial, comfortable yet still very professional one we enjoy.

I have come to believe the atmosphere is in the minds of individual  diners. I'm not saying everything is perfect all the time because it's not and we have experienced that but I reckon if you feel at home, then you WILL be at home and any little glitches can be smoothed out with a quiet word.

• Like 3

Having the same stewards and table throughout in QG,PG and BG are huge plusses I think, contributing to the sort of personalised and intuitive service that you simply don't get in other shipboard dining experiences.  It's worth every cent to us. We've had the same stewards, too, over a few cruises and years and astonished they remember our preferences, too. Maybe for the wrong reasons.... but we are remembered!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Great experience. You can see why we and many, many others are hooked.

I often think there are two QGs. The stuffy, stuffed shirt one one or two have  banged on about in the past and and the convivial, comfortable yet still very professional one we enjoy.

I have come to believe the atmosphere is in the minds of individual  diners. I'm not saying everything is perfect all the time because it's not and we have experienced that but I reckon if you feel at home, then you WILL be at home and any little glitches can be smoothed out with a quiet word.

That alien QG is what I have tended to feel on the few, ?2?, occasions I have lunched in the Verandah. Never in QG.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Great observation, I feel the same!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

That alien QG is what I have tended to feel on the few, ?2?, occasions I have lunched in the Verandah. Never in QG.

Only lunched in Verandah twice and both times we were with friends. Not our cup of tea at all.

• Like 1

Here, I don't think the occasional meal in the Verandah is either a good introduction or even inducement to try the Grills. We have had mostly very good experiences (not aboard QM2 however) but the tendency is to try too hard and the service can be well meaning but frankly bordering on fawning and kow-towing.  It's embarassing frankly and can be offputting. Some of the "touches" like being presented with a box of knives that would be illegal on the streets of London to cut your steak are... cringeworthy.  The last steak I had in QV's Verandah, for lunch was a delicious and tender Australian cut that did not need, thankfully, a Lee-Enfield bayonet to cut, either. It's an atmosphere totally at odds with what we've enjoyed in Grills over the years, well since 1993.  The maite d' then had served as the head steward at Chequers... he did not have to fawn over anyone, especially us!

• Like 1

Just off QA and we had a couple of modest PG tweaks - my partner likes plain food and doesn't eat fish and one night there was nothing suitable on the menu.  We asked for a steak instead (I'd read on here that in Britannia they keep a 'backup' menu of chicken/steak/salmon for plain eaters) and met mild resistance.  Our lovely waiter seemed a little perplexed and said he would ask the Maitre D.  When he came over he was amenable and a very nice (and large!) steak was prepared.  Another lunchtime I asked for rum and raisin ice cream instead of mint choc chip and again waiter seemed surprised, however rum and raisin was delivered.  I think the subtle context is an expectation to stay on piste in PG, and I guess with such a large restaurant on QA this is understandable.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wagtail adventures said:

Just off QA and we had a couple of modest PG tweaks - my partner likes plain food and doesn't eat fish and one night there was nothing suitable on the menu.  We asked for a steak instead (I'd read on here that in Britannia they keep a 'backup' menu of chicken/steak/salmon for plain eaters) and met mild resistance.  Our lovely waiter seemed a little perplexed and said he would ask the Maitre D.  When he came over he was amenable and a very nice (and large!) steak was prepared.  Another lunchtime I asked for rum and raisin ice cream instead of mint choc chip and again waiter seemed surprised, however rum and raisin was delivered.  I think the subtle context is an expectation to stay on piste in PG, and I guess with such a large restaurant on QA this is understandable.

Even with something as minor as a different type of ice cream, I think it is a good idea to ask the meal before, as someone would have to go down to the bowels of the ship to find it. Were you able to do this?

• Like 1

PG has a high staffing level, so really the waiters should quickly pick up that your partner prefers plain food and has a restricted diet. So I would make sure the  maître d' and your lead waiter are aware of this either just after boarding or at the first meal, and they can then accommodate that. That applies in Britannia, Club and QG. There is always plain food available, and listed in post 6.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 9:35 AM, exlondoner said:

That feeling is why I won't go back to Verandah on QM2.  I don't feel that way about lunch at Verandah on QE.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2024 at 4:30 AM, rog747 said:

Just back off QA PG 

yes there is a A La Carte off menu order choice in PG - some main course items to be ordered at Lunchtime such as dover sole, chateau B,  rack of lamb and roast duck, and the crepes....

This  menu is either found in your breakfast and lunch menu folder, or if not there just ask....

TBH they were so helpful you could almost ask for anything and they could make it happen....

I don't remember seeing the crepes on the a la carte menu on QA or QE recently, but they definitely were available. On both cruises, I ordered crepes Suzette for the table for the last night. I think I ordered them the night before.

If there's something on the alc menu you think you will want, don't put off ordering it for too long. The menu changes after the first week.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder