Stay in SF

We are doing a cruise out of SF in Feb. We have never been to SF so we know absolutely nothing about this city except what we read online. We will be flying in on Tuesday and our cruise leaves on Thursday and we will also be doing a 2-day post stay. So, with money a factor, where should we look to stay, either pre-cruise or post-cruise?

We are seniors and really can't do any 'schlepping' of luggage around for any sort of public transportation getting to and from a hotel. It would be either a taxi or an UBER. We were thinking of renting a car, but since we have a short pre-cruise and short post-cruise, that doesn't seem like the best option.

How is getting around in SF by public transportation? We also have a general idea as to what we would like to see but since we have never been, any good suggestions would also be appreciated.

How far is the airport in relation to the cruise terminal? Should we look to stay by one in particular, or look to stay more central in the city?

Again, any help would be most appreciated. 

Cheers

Len

2 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

We have never been to SF so we know absolutely nothing about this city except what we read online. We will be flying in on Tuesday and our cruise leaves on Thursday and we will also be doing a 2-day post stay. So, with money a factor, where should we look to stay, either pre-cruise or post-cruise?

It really depends on how much you want or don't want to see. What is the money factor? Your budget will dictate a lot here. It's certainly one of the more expensive cities in the US but is manageable most of the time. 

3 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

We are seniors and really can't do any 'schlepping' of luggage around for any sort of public transportation getting to and from a hotel. It would be either a taxi or an UBER. We were thinking of renting a car, but since we have a short pre-cruise and short post-cruise, that doesn't seem like the best option.

Renting a car to stay in the city makes zero sense. Ubers are plentiful, cost effective (when compared to renting and paying for parking), and the best way to get around. The only possible justification for renting a car would be a day trip up to Napa Valley or exploring along the coast to the South. 

4 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

How is getting around in SF by public transportation?

I would just stick to Uber if you don't want to schlep. 

5 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

How far is the airport in relation to the cruise terminal? Should we look to stay by one in particular, or look to stay more central in the city?

I would focus on SFO unless Oakland has a screaming deal. Without a ton of traffic airport to downtown is in the range of 30 minutes give or take. I wouldn't stay at the airport unless you were on an extreme budget-- transportation costs downtown will outweigh a lot of savings. 

I also wouldn't plan on staying in or around Oakland at all if that is the airport you do end up using. San Francisco, like all major cities, has its challenges right now but Oakland isn't a place I would want to spend time as an out of town visitor. 

• Like 2

First, don't rent a car it's just not cost effective; use Uber.  Second, don't stay by the airport it's out in the boondocks.  I would look for hotels near the Union Square, Port, or Financial District in that order.  Cost will be very dependent on time of year, day of week, and events in The City.  I'm Hilton brand loyal we had lived just 90 minutes from The City.  When prices were reasonable we would do a long weekend (FRI-SUN).  At times, we could get Hilton Union Square (killer top floor bar) for $250 a night.  Another time I got the St Francis for $180 a night.  Generally, weekends are cheaper as there's no business travelers with expense accounts in town.  I would look for a tour to the wine country one of your days there.  Also, book an Alcatraz tour another day.  Maybe look to see if there's a walking tour of Chinatown that might work for you.  Years ago we did a great walking tour using Wild SF Tours, but I think they went out of business during Covid and never came back.  They also had a walking tour of the Haight we wanted to do but never got to.  The Foreign Cinema is a fun place for dinner and a movie.        https://foreigncinema.com/

One of our go to spots for dinner has always been Le Colonial  https://www.lecolonialsf.com/

11 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

We also have a general idea as to what we would like to see but since we have never been, any good suggestions would also be appreciated.

If you tell us what you had in mind to see, we can narrow down to some likely suggestions given you will have only one full day on your Wednesday pre cruise and a little time after your arrival on Tuesday (depending on when your flight gets in).  

I'm happy to offer some suggestions after we hear back from you!

~Nancy

On 8/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, KeepCalmBearOn said:

For accommodations, look at the Columbus Motor Inn, Cow Hollow Inn, Chelsea Inn and Coventry Inn, all from the same local company.

Thanks for the suggestions on tels. Is this a good area to be located?

Cheers

Len

On 8/17/2024 at 2:48 AM, oakridger said:

If you tell us what you had in mind to see, we can narrow down to some likely suggestions given you will have only one full day on your Wednesday pre cruise and a little time after your arrival on Tuesday (depending on when your flight gets in).  

~Nancy

We really don't know exactly what we would like to do and see. Since we do have limited time, we know we would like to do Alcatraz, after that, we are open to anything. Someone, on our roll call, mentioned a good company that does walking tours and we would be interested in that. We are really not museum-type people and I consider myself a decent amateur photographer, so I am always interested in good pics. We would probably stay on the SF side and not get into Oakland, and again, any suggestions as to 'must see' type of things would be appreciated.

Cheers

Len

What is the best way to get around SF? Public transportation/UBER??

On 8/17/2024 at 2:48 AM, oakridger said:

~Nancy

Hi again Nancy and thank you so much for your offer of help.

A couple of other questions

Since we will be there in mid-February, how would we expect the weather to be? I know it won't be near as cold as we, from NY, might encounter, but if we plan on walking around quite a bit, are we dressing for winter?

Also, do you know anything about the Hop-On/Hop-off bus that runs around the city? We use them a lot when we are in Europe, to see cities and get a feel of them. I looked at one of their web pages, and it does seem to get us around, even if we just get a taste of the city. Have you heard anything about them?

Cheers

Len

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

What is the best way to get around SF? Public transportation/UBER??

Uber, taxi or Lyft will just be much more comfortable and save time waiting around for bus/streetcars, etc.  I haven't used the Hop On Hop Off bus in San Francisco but have enjoyed them in other cities worldwide.

On 8/17/2024 at 1:35 PM, KeepCalmBearOn said:

For accommodations, look at the Columbus Motor Inn, Cow Hollow Inn, Chelsea Inn and Coventry Inn, all from the same local company.

These are decent places and not high cost options. (as compared to Nob Hill Mark Hopkins, Fairmont or Union Square Hyatt, etc.)

Google the hotels @KeepCalmBearOn suggested.  They are convenient to Fisherman's Wharf where you will pick up the boat to Alcatraz (Pier 33) and Presidio-Golden Gate Bridge-Golden Gate Park and points west.  Also, close to Pier 27 where your ship is most likely going to be docked.  Are you sailing on Princess?

Google Maps

Edited by oakridger

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

Since we will be there in mid-February, how would we expect the weather to be? I know it won't be near as cold as we, from NY, might encounter, but if we plan on walking around quite a bit, are we dressing for winter?

San Francisco is 65°F every day!!  Just kidding but not too far off the truth!  Expect daytime to be around upper 50's to low 60's. See chart from this year below.  

It will probably/hopefully rain sometime in there...be prepared.  Alcatraz will be cooler and windy most likely.

image.thumb.png.9915fe0036ba7e15e73765e1c84f8939.png

Edited by oakridger

I loved visiting Alcatraz but be advised to make your ticket reservations as early as possible as they sell out often, even in the "winter" months.   I recommend using the official National Park Service website for information about tickets.  You can get them through other third party tour sites but I just personally prefer not using a middleman if possible.

Fees & Passes - Alcatraz Island (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

~Nancy

I would not recommend Alcatraz for seniors or for people with limited time. It sucks up a lot.

SF is a photographers dream, the Painted Ladies, Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, Cable Cars, Transamerica Building, Chinatown, North Beach, the Palace of Fine Arts, Crissy Field, the Dreamworks campus, Sutro Baths, Baker Beach and so much more.

15 hours ago, oakridger said:

I loved visiting Alcatraz but be advised to make your ticket reservations as early as possible as they sell out often, even in the "winter" months.   I recommend using the official National Park Service website for information about tickets.  You can get them through other third party tour sites but I just personally prefer not using a middleman if possible.

Fees & Passes - Alcatraz Island (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

~Nancy

Thanks again, Nancy. I see from that website that they offer the Alcatraz tour plus an Angel Island tour also. This Island I really have never heard of, is it something we should consider doing?

Cheers

Len

1 hour ago, Giantfan13 said:

Thanks again, Nancy. I see from that website that they offer the Alcatraz tour plus an Angel Island tour also. This Island I really have never heard of, is it something we should consider doing?

Cheers

Len

If time is limited I would skip Angel Island.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

SF is a photographers dream, the Painted Ladies, Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, Cable Cars, Transamerica Building, Chinatown, North Beach, the Palace of Fine Arts, Crissy Field, the Dreamworks campus, Sutro Baths, Baker Beach and so much more.

Some of the best skyline photos of SF would be from Treasure Island at sunset.  Plus, the museum there is pretty interesting.  

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked a hotel about a mile from Fisherman's Wharf so that seemed like the best location. We are doing 2 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise, so thanks for all the great suggestions.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

We have booked a hotel about a mile from Fisherman's Wharf so that seemed like the best location. We are doing 2 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise, so thanks for all the great suggestions.

What hotel? "a mile from Fisherman's Wharf" could be a not so good area, depending on which direction the mile is.

17 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

What hotel? "a mile from Fisherman's Wharf" could be a not so good area, depending on which direction the mile is.

Truer words were never spoken.  One block can make a huge difference let alone one mile.  

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 8:51 PM, KeepCalmBearOn said:

What about Hyatt Centric?  Is that one in a relatively safe area?  We just booked it for our January cruise.