swimsuit cover up - color bleed

jennylane

a few weeks ago i bought a bright turquoise tankini at jc penney with a matching cover up, a cotton multi colored sundress. the fabric is very thin, you couldnt wear it as a real dress, but its very cute over the suit and i was thinking i'd even wear it over the suit to go on a shore excursion. the top section is white, mid section is turquoise and bottom third is dark brown. the colors go horizontally, but the colors do blend into each other in almost a tye dyed effect.

here's my dilemma. last night i tried everything on again that i had bought, made sure i wanted to keep things, and then took tags off and washed everything on my handwash cycle on cold. i washed the cover up by itself, and when i took it out of the washing machine, the top white section had turned light light TAN :mad: . so....i washed it again, thinking it might come out (i did not dry it). no, it came out the same (not worse though, interestingly enough). i considered taking it back when i realized last night was recycling night, and the tags had gone out with the recycling!!!!

so, today i bought another one, yes, i like it that much. so here's my question. do i dare try to wash it? should i soak it first and if so, in what? just cold water...or add salt...or vinegar...or something else? or should i take it to a dry cleaners and have them do it?

i figured i'd just keep the other one as a backup and if i end up wearing it, i'll tell myself that it looks like maybe its supposed to be that way....

I bought a swimsuit at Dillards a few years ago and the colors also ran while wearing it at the beach. Went swimming, sat on white towel - result was tie-dyed white/hot pink towel. Took it back to Dillards with no tags or receipt and they refunded the price. You should try that with Penny's.

Just show them the two, and you should get a refund.

I've taken things back to Penney's without tags. Once they see the damaged goods, esp with your new one and a receipt, I can't see any reason they wouldn't refund it!

In the future, use the Shout Sheets that are made for grabbing color. They work pretty well!

ok, at everyones suggestion, i did go back to penneys today and returned the original and faded one i had bought. she didnt blink an eye and i got a refund...no problem.

then went to target and picked up the shout sheets. came home and nervously tossed the new one into the washing machine, all by its lonesome, with the shout sheet and on cold, of course. guess what?!?! it came out great!!! the top is still white! when i took the sheet thingie out of the washing machine, it was discolored, so it obviously grabbed color from somewhere!

thanks everyone!!!!

yup, thats what i did, took the faded one back with the tags from the one i had just bought. i felt a teeny tiny bit guilty, but i guess i really didnt need to feel that way, i mean i did purchase another one after all....

Archived