Alaska Ports are being invaded

Billthekid

We have been a few times when it wasn’t crowded, but our upcoming trip I doubt if we will even get off.  It is a two edged sword..the  the cruise industry has built these mega ships, people go on them, and they are ruining the environment for everyone. However if people don’t stop booking the BIG ships nothing will change. We were on the Discovery Princess over a year okay..too big ..would never go on anything like that again..plus it has been in Alaska all season. JUST SAY NO. If you don’t they will keep building more of these monsters. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

.....It’s pretty tempting when it’s in your own backyard, and I really just love being on a ship, but I don’t know how long we should continue to be part of the problem.

This reality, that as a cruise traveller I am part of the problem, really hit home for me last year in Alaska.

This past June we sailed on our first European River Cruise and experienced the same thing - over crowded ports with multiple cruise ships' tour groups all on the same tours and crowding the alleyways and walkways of the small, picturesque medieval towns.  It's one of the reasons my DW has said she hasn't any interest in getting on another cruise ship of any type.

• Like 2

HAL's 28-day Ultimate Alaska earlier this summer was refreshing for all the ports we visited as the only cruise ship. If you have the time, it's a great alternative to the 7-day milk runs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This whole thread makes me think of one of Yogi Berra's pearls: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Our only visit to Alaska (so far) barely ventured into the magnificence of that state. It was 2009, onboard Zaandam, 7 days, r/t Seattle. We visited Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and at least one other port. I don't recall any horror stories, but then we were new to cruising overall and enraptured over Zaandam. Sitka made a deep impression, and yes, entering the cathedral you knew you were in a place of worship with deep roots in an unfamiliar culture. I'm so glad to have that visit stored in the memory box.

We plan to return to Alaska, but will do one of the longer cruise tours, including 3 days at Denali.

Hearing about the current congestion makes me appreciate all the more the Midnight Sun cruise we made to Norway last summer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, the overcrowding in Alaska is very real. I don’t see an end to it as many are first timers to Alaska and the demand seems to be endless. I read a trip report on a Grand Princess cruise in July and 2000 of the passengers were new Princess cruisers, so most likely new to Alaska too.

I was on an eleven-day Alaska cruise on Queen Elizabeth in July. Cunard color-codes keys to show World Club status. People on their first or second Cunard voyage get a red stripe, then it goes up with gold, platinum (silver stripe) to diamond (black stripe). I have never seen so many red cards around the ship. There were so few diamonds, that when it came time to honor the "top sailor," with the most days on Cunard, it wasn't someone with 6 world cruises and 4,000 days. It was me! With my little 402 days. That's how few long-timers there were. 

I chose that itinerary for new ports. We went to Wrangel and Haines, where we were the only ships. We also sailed Misty Fjord, which was new to me.

One of the problems with crowding in the "usual" ports is that there are so many 7-day R/T cruises. They can't get very far and back in that time, so they all go to Ketchikan and Juneau, probably Skagway, ISP (or Sitka), and a glacier or two. If I do another Alaska cruise, I will look for something longer that goes to more distant ports. 

• Like 1

When evaluating cruise dates/ports, head to cruisetimetables.com.  Find your cruise, and at the very end of the itinerary detail is a "port loads" link, which will display all the ships and max capacity for each port day.  Currently showing dates through Oct '26.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Regrettably this is how it will be until there is a major correction either via local regulation or a a reason for the ships to go elsewhere (a more natural correction would be that port satisfaction drops). 

But in the meantime, as long as people keep paying the same prices, the lines will continue to send very large ships to these places since their profit margin is huge.  Star Princess coming in 2026 with 4k+.

Went to Prince Rupert on a shorter HAL voyage in the spring, it was a nice port call - as nice as Ketchikan anyway (good weather helped).  The development of new ports like PR and ISP are needed, but whereas PR had been an Alaskan port in the 80s, ISP is pretty new.  Not all places in Alaska will welcome the cruise ships.

Cruise lines will ultimately have to rely more on visiting bigger coastal cities and doing some pacific northwest blended itineraries with places like Vancouver, Seattle, Victoria, and even Astoria and Nanaimo.  These locations can better absorb the passenger loads and have the infrastructure to support them.  While the experience isn't "Alaska", there are many scenic and beautiful things to see and experience in these ports - it all comes down to marketing.

I wonder what would happen if instead of building new docks in Alaskan ports, the ports just closed a dock or two forcing rendering operations.  That resolves both the "too many ships" and "too many people" issues and meters tourists entering town.  Eventually port satisfaction will drop and ships might go elsewhere.

In the immediate term however, Alaska prices are very high right now and as long as people keep paying them, don't expect anything to change.  Should prices fall, ships will go elsewhere.  If more cities enact restrictions, it will likely make prices go even higher.

NCL has built a pier outside of Ketchikan which requires a shuttle bus.  Compared to the other lines, it's a pretty lousy situation especially considering most calls are just a few hours in the AM.  Perhaps the cruise lines should require the ships berth for a minimum number of hours (10+).  That would reduce the "hot bunking/berthing"  and better distribute the loads since the whole ship won't be rushing to get off and see everything in the same 5 hours.

In 2019 we sailed the Seattle 7 day milk run, but on the Amsterdam (1400pax), doing a one-off run from her normal 14 day voyages, on a Monday.  This allowed fewer crowds in most ports since we were there on off days (somewhat).  I think with Vancouver only having room for 2 midsize and 1 large ships or just 2 large ships it definitely helps meter the traffic.  Seattle was planning to build a 3rd cruise terminal near the stadiums (where HAL and Princess used to sail from years ago).  If that happens it will let some days have 4 ships leaving Seattle - most doing very similar itineraries.  Covid put a pause on that work but I imagine it will come back.  I applaud NCL for doing some 9/10 day Seattle voyages since it makes the port times better and spreads out the loads.  I wish the other lines would consider this also.

In 2013 we did a short pre-Alaska season coastal cruise RT from Vancouver on the N Amsterdam (I think) which included Port Alberni,  they rolled out the red carpet for everyone and had the Mars Hawaii waterbomber do a demonstration in the inlet for us.  That thing let go of so much water the wake moved the ship,  so glad I saw it.  My point is the smaller ports that don’t get regular cruise ship stops go the extra mile to make sure the passengers have a great time.  I wouldn’t mind seeing more smaller ports on itineraries 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jakers said:

Our daughter lives in Juneau and does not work in a cruise related industry. That being said, she moved to Juneau because she grew to love Alaska during our many cruises to the state. This year we cruised to Alaska on the NCL Jewel as she returned from Japan on April 29th. In most ports we were the only ship. We are returning to cruise on the Eurodam out of Seattle on September 28th after many ships have left. You don't go to the Caribbean during spring break and not plan on it being crowded. As far as the people who live and work in Alaska the tourist season only lasts six months. They get 6 months off which is way more than I do.

Not so much any more. A lot of locals have left the major cruise towns, the businesses that used to be owned by locals and served both locals and cruisers have mostly been sold to the same corporate companies that run the stores at caribbean cruise ports. Many workers come in for the swason then leave when the season is over. The native corporations are buying what the cruise following corps are not, at least they are local 

Juneau is a bit different since it is the state capital.

20 hours ago, Kaibyrd said:

When do the crowds start thinning out? We’re booked next year first week in Sept. 

It wasn't very crowded in Fairbanks in March.  I spent almost 2 week there for the aurora and the ice carving festival.  I do have to admit that it was a bit cold there.

DON

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thetideishigh2021 said:

In 2013 we did a short pre-Alaska season coastal cruise RT from Vancouver on the N Amsterdam (I think) which included Port Alberni,  they rolled out the red carpet for everyone and had the Mars Hawaii waterbomber do a demonstration in the inlet for us.  That thing let go of so much water the wake moved the ship,  so glad I saw it.  My point is the smaller ports that don’t get regular cruise ship stops go the extra mile to make sure the passengers have a great time.  I wouldn’t mind seeing more smaller ports on itineraries 

I would love to go to Port Alberni - seems like a unique place.  For a time, Nanaimo was also a port, but they haven't had large ships since before Covid (although the Noordam will stop there on her Great Bear Rainforest voyages).  I recall many years ago some ships made calls in Port Angeles, WA.  Another great city with convenient access to stunning scenery.

These ports may not have the "infrastructure" (large docks and diamond international outlets) that Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway have, but I wish HAL would consider them - they are certainly better positioned to do so than some of the other mainstream lines.

• Like 1

Wish HAL would bring back some of these shorter - or even slightly longer than a week voyage that go to some less visited places.  Quite honestly, the PNW has some of the best scenery but on many of the alaskan cruises, unless sailing the true inside passage, cruisers only see the scenery for 3 or 4 days while in Alaskan waters.

https://www.sequimgazette.com/news/cruise-ship-to-call-at-port-angeles/

7 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

so many 7-day R/T cruises. They can't get very far and back in that time, so they all go to Ketchikan and Juneau, probably Skagway, ISP (or Sitka)

Sitka for sure. ISP does not allow ships on 7-day (or shorter) sailings to call. It’s their form of crowd control.

1 hour ago, ryarger said:

Sitka for sure. ISP does not allow ships on 7-day (or shorter) sailings to call. It’s their form of crowd control.

That’s not true, sorry.  I have been there on several 7-day cruises including last week on the Ruby Princess.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

That’s not true, sorry.  I have been there on several 7-day cruises including last week on the Ruby Princess.

Agree, HAL's Eurodam makes an evening call there every week and some NCL ships make full day calls.

Edited by cruisingrob21

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

It wasn't very crowded in Fairbanks in March.  I spent almost 2 week there for the aurora and the ice carving festival.  I do have to admit that it was a bit cold there.

DON

And what ship were you on in Fairbanks?🙃🙃

1 hour ago, ryarger said:

last year was there  at ISP on a 7 day cruise on Princess, the following week was there on a 7 day HAL cruise.

@sunviking90 your post mentioning that RCL contributed funds to the dock in Sitka answers a question I had.

I was under the understanding that Princess Cruises were the leaders in Alaska cruising.  So, I was confused when Grand Princess was forced to share shuttles with Quantum of the Seas in Sitka.  I thought Princess would have priority.  

And yes, Sitka with  Grand Princess and Quantum of the Seas docked made it unpleasantly crowded in the streets around the beautiful church which we didn’t even attempt to see.

We were in the first Princess Cruise of the 2024 season so that would be considered a shoulder period, I would think.

The hawking of all the jewellery shop staff in Junea and the crowds,made me very glad I booked a tour that took me away from all that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@sunviking90 your post mentioning that RCL contributed funds to the dock in Sitka answers a question I had.

I was under the understanding that Princess Cruises were the leaders in Alaska cruising.  So, I was confused when Grand Princess was forced to share shuttles with Quantum of the Seas in Sitka.  I thought Princess would have priority.  

And yes, Sitka with  Grand Princess and Quantum of the Seas docked made it unpleasantly crowded in the streets around the beautiful church which we didn’t even attempt to see.

We were in the first Princess Cruise of the 2024 season so that would be considered a shoulder period, I would think.

The hawking of all the jewellery shop staff in Junea and the crowds,made me very glad I booked a tour that took me away from all that.

I think two ships at the Sitka dock always share shuttles. Queen Elizabeth passengers and NCL passengers shared when I was there 2 years ago. The morning was easy because only QE was there. But returning to the dock, when both ships were there, I had to wait in a long line. Just one line for all of us, no priority, no separating the ships.

18 hours ago, JeannieAZ said:

When evaluating cruise dates/ports, head to cruisetimetables.com.  Find your cruise, and at the very end of the itinerary detail is a "port loads" link, which will display all the ships and max capacity for each port day.  Currently showing dates through Oct '26.

very interesting site. Thanks for the post. 

12 hours ago, TRLD said:

And what ship were you on in Fairbanks?🙃🙃

My point exactly.  1) Go totally off season.  2) Go to places that are not accessible by ship or only by small (<200 or 300 passengers).  3) Travel by Alaska Marine Highways.  You may have to stay in a small town for several days because they don't not have a marine highway every day,  4) For the moment there are still small ports going out along the Aleutians that get very few tourists.  

I can name several small towns that are still for the moment unspoiled.

DON

Have been going to Alaska for 30+ years and have never cruised there. Therefore I've never been to the lower passage as it is too touristy. Have been on a couple of interesting ferry trips and I think I have been on almost every road up there. Just drove up to the Artic Circle last weekend and it was a great adventure. Just beautiful ! Winter is also great up there but can be quite cold (-50 f). Just can't get enough of that great state.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

My point exactly.  1) Go totally off season.  2) Go to places that are not accessible by ship or only by small (<200 or 300 passengers).  3) Travel by Alaska Marine Highways.  You may have to stay in a small town for several days because they don't not have a marine highway every day,  4) For the moment there are still small ports going out along the Aleutians that get very few tourists.  

I can name several small towns that are still for the moment unspoiled.

DON

I have to disagree with Don on the Alaska ferry system.  Our current governor has been gutting the ferry system over the last few years and service has become sporadic and somewhat unreliable.  Ferry terminal are located many miles out of some towns and the ferries sail with the tides, so you may find yourself stranded at 3am outside a closed ferry terminal in the middle of nowhere.  If you bring a car with you, you’re fine.  You can just drive to town.  I would also point out that in these small towns, lodging can be difficult to come by if you plan staying for a few days.  If you really want to get out in the wilderness, go on an expedition ship such as National Geographic, Uncruise, or Hurtigruten.

On 8/23/2024 at 12:18 PM, JeannieAZ said:

Thanks for sharing this site - very informative.