Can you bring snacks aboard ship

Dondada007

Always have and always will on any shipline we have been on....not even in it's original packaging. I have cheez its in zip locks, peanuts in zip locks, even sandwiches that I make to have on our flights wrapped in plastic. No one ever questioned me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

Always have and always will on any shipline we have been on....not even in it's original packaging. I have cheez its in zip locks, peanuts in zip locks, even sandwiches that I make to have on our flights wrapped in plastic. No one ever questioned me.

With a toddler this past cruise, we packed a s* ton of snacks. Some may have been opened from the travelling already and we had no problems. I think it's important, however, to note that the letter of the law is 'unopened' - so no fair being surprised if all of a sudden it doesn't get through!

Just like I bought a cute bottle of mamajuana in DR, just for a keepsake to put on a shelf...expecting it to be confiscated until we disembarked...but it wasn't.  Previously things like that did not make it through for us.

I always bring individual bags of nuts and some power bars for the long excursions that don't have lunch.

I also bring a can or two of Pringles for the midnight snack in the cabin!  Pringles travel better than bags of chips.

And of course, my husbands favorite breakfast cookie to have with our morning coffee on the balcony before we head out for the day 🥰

• Like 1

I do not think brining snacks onto the ship, except again, fresh fruit and vegetables, on embarkation day is ever a problem.  The issue is taking them off the ship for excursions.  The local port authorities are much more strict than the ships and they are the ones doing the inspections not the ship's personnel, who only screen bags coming back onboard, not leaving. 

23 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I do not think brining snacks onto the ship, except again, fresh fruit and vegetables, on embarkation day is ever a problem.  The issue is taking them off the ship for excursions.  The local port authorities are much more strict than the ships and they are the ones doing the inspections not the ship's personnel, who only screen bags coming back onboard, not leaving. 

I am always amazed during disembarkation, the piles of fruit on the tables that people have to take out of their pockets for fear of fines and/or imprisonment!

• Like 1

I watched a lady go to "The Naughty" room at customs because she forgot to take the apple out of her bag before getting off the plane from a foreign country back into the USA.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mcmomny said:

I watched a lady go to "The Naughty" room at customs because she forgot to take the apple out of her bag before getting off the plane from a foreign country back into the USA.

Ya - get why they do it (sort of).  When we were disembarking yesterday, there was one woman yelling at the person saying she "brought it in, why couldn't it be brought out?!"  The officer (or whatever their role) looked mildly amused, but adamant and patient....like you're telling me that banana is over a week old in the climate of the Caribbean, and it is not pudding?

also - what....why are you arguing about taking a banana!? put it on the table with the other 100 and go home!

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

What I can say is I have flown 100"s of times over my lifetime and get really annoyed with those who still don't understand the simple carry on rules but silly me recently didn't empty her refillable water bottle and had to go back thru security so I could dump it out and reenter with it empty! 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mcmomny said:

I also bring a can or two of Pringles for the midnight snack in the cabin!  Pringles travel better than bags of chips.

I re-discovered the canned "potato sticks" as a non-crushable option for my craving

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mcmomny said:

I always bring individual bags of nuts and some power bars for the long excursions that don't have lunch.

And of course, my husbands favorite breakfast cookie to have with our morning coffee on the balcony before we head out for the day 🥰

I have to bring planters peanuts and cheez its for my husband in our cabin or he'll have a meltdown. 

Like traveling with a toddler.....jeeze!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

Ya - get why they do it (sort of).  When we were disembarking yesterday, there was one woman yelling at the person saying she "brought it in, why couldn't it be brought out?!"  The officer (or whatever their role) looked mildly amused, but adamant and patient....like you're telling me that banana is over a week old in the climate of the Caribbean, and it is not pudding?

also - what....why are you arguing about taking a banana!? put it on the table with the other 100 and go home!

Not worth it all over a rotten banana unless she planning on making banana bread once out of there. 😆

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Slightly off topic but I remember having to go through an agricultural inspection when we drove cross country and went to enter California. 

Yes, I grew up in Arizona and they also had an agricultural inspection points thru out the State.

• Like 1