Infinite Veranda

irishayes

2 hours ago, OysterD said:

Apparently, the definition of 'outside' is having a slight gap at the top and bottom of a side wall. Realistically, there isn't much else to differentiate between the two. 

CelVer834-76991-17049041112.thumb.jpg.5ec35c9343988084c2011f181dd90004.jpg

IMG_5713-1-1280x960.thumb.jpg.e682fce753cc5353b79cd1d90630d1fd.jpg

Thank you for posting these pictures. 
This is exactly what I pictured when I think about the difference between the two. Not really that much different. 

We just yesterday booked Beyond  Caribbean Jan 24, 2025 a Concierge C2 stateroom not knowing anything about the balcony. 
Have to say I was getting a little nervous reading some of these “you’re not outside” comments.
You’ve shown all of us that there really isn’t much difference between the two. 
I actually like those doors too!

Do they block out the light or can you see through them?

57 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The fully booked argument does not address profitability as the prices drop after final payment.  Even the oldest and run down ships are fully booked ...

Pretty sure X has better facts and figures than you do. Although for the sake of argument, I'd still disagree. I was looking for a last min (ish) cruise in the Med next month a few weeks ago and the two old M class ships had plenty of availability, Ascent was all but booked up (a few suites left) and Apex also had very few cabins left. Equinox and Silhouette also had plenty of free cabins at decent prices, so Silhouette it was. 

Moving into October it's the same story. Ascent and Apex are pretty much fully booked (exception of 1 Ascent cruise in mid Oct), plenty of space on Infinity, Constellation, Silhouette and Equinox. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

In the golden age of luxury liners there were no balconies. People had fantastic experiences just the same. An IV would have felt like heaven then. God help some of you who show such hatred to a perfectly fine innovation.

LOL - and my great grandmother did a perfectly fine job and was happy with using a wringer machine for her laundry - so by your logic, I should be happy with one, too!

Things change. The IV is an option. Some like it. Some do not.

Those of us who like actual balconies lament the lack of true balcony options on the E class ships. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Thank you for posting these pictures. 
This is exactly what I pictured when I think about the difference between the two. Not really that much different. 

We just yesterday booked Beyond  Caribbean Jan 24, 2025 a Concierge C2 stateroom not knowing anything about the balcony. 
Have to say I was getting a little nervous reading some of these “you’re not outside” comments.
You’ve shown all of us that there really isn’t much difference between the two. 
I actually like those doors too!

Do they block out the light or can you see through them?

The bifold doors in IV cabins do not block the light, they're frosted but that's it. The full length blackout blind is on the main window and drops down from the ceiling. Personally I loved waking up and just using the app to open the blind and having a great view out from the bed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

E class ships are fully booked the way they are. Regardless of the like or dislike of the IVs that creates no pressure toward a completely new design for Celebrity.

If the itinerary is good any ship will fill up.  People are still filling the M class ships. Also the new cruisers won't know the difference between a balcony and IV.

4 hours ago, OysterD said:

Apparently, the definition of 'outside' is having a slight gap at the top and bottom of a side wall. Realistically, there isn't much else to differentiate between the two. 

CelVer834-76991-17049041112.thumb.jpg.5ec35c9343988084c2011f181dd90004.jpg

IMG_5713-1-1280x960.thumb.jpg.e682fce753cc5353b79cd1d90630d1fd.jpg

your pics clearly highlights the big difference:

The real balcony (top pic) has chairs with high backs that recline - ideal for relaxing and enjoying the fresh air.

Anyone with back issues like my wife would find the chairs on the IV totally unsuitable/uncomfortable for more than a few minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I remember that I once saw one in a FB group and if I remember correctly - and assuming the numbers haven't changed much after I saw it - the outcome was pretty even. 

However, I also remember that the number of negative comments was higher 🙂 The people who like them - like me - just voted and left it at that.

I wish the fans of IV would just “leave it at that” instead of constantly trying to convince me that a window is better than a door.  🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

LOL - and my great grandmother did a perfectly fine job and was happy with using a wringer machine for her laundry - so by your logic, I should be happy with one, too!

Things change. The IV is an option. Some like it. Some do not.

Those of us who like actual balconies lament the lack of true balcony options on the E class ships. 

Have you had you hand caught between wringer😱

I bet your great grandmother would be much happier with a newer machine 

Have to agree the good old days were not great 😁

2 hours ago, OysterD said:

The bifold doors in IV cabins do not block the light, they're frosted but that's it. The full length blackout blind is on the main window and drops down from the ceiling. Personally I loved waking up and just using the app to open the blind and having a great view out from the bed. 

Oh that’s amazing! Thank you so much for your help! 
I see you mentioned you booked Silhouette. We also booked a cruise on Silhouette for Sept 2025 out of Boston. We’re about an hour from the port so we love those Boston departures. 
I’ll look forward to hearing how you like the ship. 

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

You are neglecting a design factor. 
You can´t add regular balconies to E class design. So a new Celebrity ship with more regular verandas would have to be a completely new design again -- > higher cost -- > no go.

E class ships are fully booked the way they are. Regardless of the like or dislike of the IVs that creates no pressure toward a completely new design for Celebrity.

Celebrity has already announced that the next class of ship will have a much better mix of traditional balconies vs IVs.

• Like 2