How Much ! ! ! ! !

kakalina

I am sorry some people get so defensive, but for a ballpark.

Cruise at Christmas 7 days 1100

Airfare (great deal) 250.00

Excursions 300.

Night before in FLL 200.

Ship board expenses at departure (including the 70.00 tipping funds) 350.

Items at Publix prior to boarding 50.00

Extra tipping money for exceptional service and baggage toting! 150.00

Dinners and transportation before and after cruise 150

So tallying for a 7 day prime time cruise from FLL of::::::$2550 (per person) that said Rev. Neal's 500. per day is right in the ballpark.

Now have a 10 day Christmas and New Years in 2006 planned with DD and I..it is so worth it.

Linda

With a family of 4, we've easily spent enough to buy a nice new car, but as my cousin once said, I'd rather spend money doing things than accumulating stuff.

That's exactly the way I look at it. I went through a time in my life ... a long time ... where I honestly felt it was far better to accumulate nice "things" than to bother with stuff like travel and having great experiences. I always figured that when I retire one day, then I'll take the time to travel.

Then I watched a good friend die. He became ill and less than a year later he was gone. He never made it to retirement. He was planning on a lot of traveling when he retired too ... and since he was closer to retirement than me, he had already bought an RV. He was using it when he and his wife traveled to their daughter's place in Florida several times a year, and planned to see the whole U.S. in it when he retired. He was planning to hit the road for like a year. Then he became ill. About a year later he was gone. A year after that his wife, who was not in very good health now herself, went to live with the kids in Florida and sold the RV. So much for their plans of seeing the country ... and probably eventually the world.

This friend of mine made good money ... and I mean good ... like five times what I make. His wife doesn't have to worry about a thing for the rest of her life. Neither do the kids. Well, his wife probably has no desire to travel now because of her health, but I sure hope the kids use some of that money to live life ... truly live it ... by traveling and availing themselves of great experiences.

Through the sad story of my friend, I've realized that money is only as good as what you spend it on. Things won't make great memories ... but experiences will. That's why I don't worry about things anymore. I'd rather use my money to live ... and to me, cruising is my preferred way of living. And, I don't want to wait until some far off retirement day to do it. Who knows what my health will be by then ... or if I'll even be alive? So, I'd rather enjoy life NOW ... while I am able ... and then at least if my health does decline at some point, I'll have all those wonderful memories to look back on ... and they will sustain me through whatever troubles life places me in. Somehow, I doubt all the wonderful possessions one can accumulate in this world will be able to do that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

asking this question and getting a realistic reply.....is like asking someone how much they paid for their car........do you notice no one says because we all know we paid to much but hoping we didn't.....so don't want to know what others paid to just confirm our fear!!

I saw if we enjoy ourselves....at least we're getting something for our $...better than sitting in the bank....you can't take it with you!!

I guess it does not bother me when someone asks me on the cruise what I spent. Ususally they are surprised that there is some way to spend less than going thru AAA, or the cruise line itself, etc. Albeit it is becoming more difficult to find much difference in pricing these days.

I will break the ice................ for the few who want to know. For those of you who don't and have stated as much , feel free not to read or to respond.

We have spent around $19,000 for our 11 cruises, with a total of 81 days on the ocean. These cruises were in 3 interior, 5 O/V and 3 balconies. The costs we keep track of include the cruise with tax and port, airfare and pre and post cruise hotel stays where applicable.

As others have stated we enjoy sharing the cruise memories and time spent with each other more than accumulating "things" or driving the flashiest new car. Having recently lost a family member in the prime of life it drove home the point of the future only being as far away as the next breath or heartbeat.

I was just curious. Have any of you figured out, just for the heck of it, how much you have spent on cruising? :confused: .

Yup, sure have. Since '00 I've kept spreadsheets of all my expenses. The "travel" column is the largest---by a lot. Much, much more than housing, auto, food. Even jewelry.

At least I know that if ever money gets tight there's a little wiggle room in the travel budget. :D

And to answer Greg's question---I count cruise fare, trasnportation to/from port, shore excursions, tips, on-board expenses. I don't have to worry about how to record shopping purchases since there aren't any.

Very well said Rita, I have always believed in this. Before I retired I travelled, but due to only a certain amount of vacation and comp time I was restricted. Now I`m not, and I take 7-8 vacations a year, each one a minimum of two weeks. I`m enjoying it and just so thankful that I can do it.....jean:cool:

Rita (Kryos), you and I think so much alike. With me, it was my cancer diagnosis almost eight years ago that made me realize that material possessions mean so little in life if you don't have good health, a good family and great friends. Since then, I haven't bought any more expensive figurines, no longer buy expensive clothes (except for good shoes, of course) and spend all my disposable income on travel, theatre and good food. I wasn't planning on taking the 30-day cruise until I retired, but I decided that I might as well do it when I'm still relatively young (pushing 50) and still full of energy. Like I've said before, I have never regretted any of the six cruises I've taken.

Not unless:

1. You met her working onboard a cruise ship.

2. She was "independently wealthy."

LOL ... yes, I did leave myself open for that one, didn't I. And, you're right, BOTH would have to be absolutely true. :) Particularly on a pastor's salary!! :D

We have kept track of the costs and extras over the years of our cruises and actually all of our vacations (what else is there to do now). It seems like alot of money, but as has been mentioned, there are alot of memories to go along with it. We have all worked very hard for these moments and will continue to build the memory bank, Lord willing.

kakalina

how much money do you think Y0U have spent on cruising

Probably enough to purchase cars, houses and boats. :eek:

My point was to stimulate discussion and it has worked. Thanks for all your responses. I really do have manners, I just wanted ??? that would provoke thought. ;)

I, too, feel that we have at last discovered our true purpose in life ( cruising ) and want to enjoy it together as long as time, health, and yes, money permits. :D :D

Trisha

Archived