Port Lincoln - What's to do there?

Apologies to anyone who lives in Port Lincoln, but we're on Crown Princess in December 2024 and one of the port stops is Port Lincoln and we're not sure what we can do there by ourselves

None of the ships excursions really appeal to us so we will be 'freestyling it' 

Looking at the map it looks like it's quite a walk from the wharf / pier to get into the town?

This could be problematic as wife has arthritis in her knee (due to have a knee operation Jan 2025) and can't walk for long periods without having to take a break / seat

Do they have any nice shops in town or any vintage / retro / charity / thrift stores?

We also like good coffee, so recommendations would be helpful there too!

any advise on what we can do there would be much appreciated! 🙂

we are in the same basket as you  there muffinz, but we believe there will be a market near the shore, I read there were  few places not that far from the dock to have coffee, we think it will be great time to have a good look around the ship and have a few cups of good coffee onboard..... the same goes for us at Kangaroo Island seeing we can't rent a car there like we did last time we were there and had a ball, a drink at the hotel the back to the ship for us

I think there was a shuttle bus running from the wharf to the centre of town in Port Lincoln.

We did the Taste of Port Lincoln excursion which was very interesting - we learnt a lot about the seafood industry there. The winery visit was great fun, they were very generous with the wine, and the dishes created with local seafood were very tasty.

I went on a tour there in March 2023 and our guide pointed out a French cafe owned by a baker who supplied the bread to the French president for a year. (There is a contest held in France every for the honour)

They said the cafe was very popular with the locals, it was on a corner near the port but that is all I can remember, but there might be a good cup of coffee there and one would think great croissants.

A local should be able to point out the way.

1 minute ago, sewgood said:

I went on a tour there in March 2023 and our guide pointed out a French cafe owned by a baker who supplied the bread to the French president for a year. (There is a contest held in France every for the honour)

They said the cafe was very popular with the locals, it was on a corner near the port but that is all I can remember, but there might be a good cup of coffee there and one would think great croissants.

A local should be able to point out the way.

I bet this is it:

L'Anse French Café & Croissanterie

Probably about a 15 minute walk from the city end of the wharf - it's quite a long wharf.

Screenshot_20240827_171057_Maps2.thumb.jpg.04a8cf1ce24aece970e078ceff4c0649.jpg

If it's your sort of thing, Port Lincoln Railway Museum opens on Wednesdays and (very enlightened) on cruise ship days: https://www.eprps.org.au/museum.html . Whilst there I also took the Princess hour and a half ‘Easy Port Lincoln’ tour - good value and left me plenty of time to visit the museum and have a general explore.

5 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

Whilst there I also took the Princess hour and a half ‘Easy Port Lincoln’ tour - good value

I did that tour as well and enjoyed it.

It was interesting hearing stories about the tuna wars in the 1970's.

I enjoyed the stories behind the tuna mansions as well.

thanks for the replies - I'll look at the visitor site for ideas

hopefully they'll have the shuttle going again, so wife doesn't have to walk too far - it will be Friday Dec 20 when we are in Port Lincoln

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I bet this is it:

L'Anse French Café & Croissanterie

Probably about a 15 minute walk from the city end of the wharf - it's quite a long wharf.

Screenshot_20240827_171057_Maps2.thumb.jpg.04a8cf1ce24aece970e078ceff4c0649.jpg

I looked at that map and saw 'Beer Garden Brewing'.... suddenly I feel more enthusiastic about going to Port Lincoln!

from the photos it does look like a nice little town

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It is a lovely place, with the shuttle to town where the market is. Be prepared for a long wait for the return trip as it run by locals and buses are really not on a schedule. Just a normal cruise experience! I will warn you it is quite a walk from the ship to the end of the jetty where the shuttle is, my husband had to take a break. Tour buses come on to the jetty so are more accessible.

we are back there in November and will probably stay on board.

Juls

• Like 2

Hi there, local here!

Of course I am biased, but I think there are lots of great things to see and do in Lincoln!

Everything that has been mentioned is great and there is a quite good museum trail if you like that kind of stuff.

The Beer Garden is great for a brew, as are most of the pubs along the foreshore. If you like gin and cocktails, the local distillery is worth a visit and very close to the wharf as well.

I just checked my roster and I'm not working that day so if you are not crazy axe murderers and would like a bit of a guide, I'm happy to meet up for coffee, lunch or run you around op- shopping, yell at me a bit closer!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

Hi there, local here!

Of course I am biased, but I think there are lots of great things to see and do in Lincoln!

Everything that has been mentioned is great and there is a quite good museum trail if you like that kind of stuff.

The Beer Garden is great for a brew, as are most of the pubs along the foreshore. If you like gin and cocktails, the local distillery is worth a visit and very close to the wharf as well.

I just checked my roster and I'm not working that day so if you are not crazy axe murderers and would like a bit of a guide, I'm happy to meet up for coffee, lunch or run you around op- shopping, yell at me a bit closer!

Hi, would you be able to find out if the Yacht club is open on cruise ship days? We are there 13th November. Times and if they will be serving food? Thanks for your kind offer. Juls