Hotel Choice for San Pedro Pre-Cruise

Flying into LAX on Friday with 7:00 pm arrival.  Have Marriott or Holiday Inn points for hotel.  Female traveling alone to meet sisters on Discovery Princess sailing out of San Pedro on Saturday.  

Best hotel choice for Friday night?  LAX area or San Pedro?  Something with a decent breakfast.  

Transportation wise, I’ll Uber or Lyft.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TexasJam said:

Flying into LAX on Friday with 7:00 pm arrival.  Have Marriott or Holiday Inn points for hotel.  Female traveling alone to meet sisters on Discovery Princess sailing out of San Pedro on Saturday.  

Best hotel choice for Friday night?  LAX area or San Pedro?  Something with a decent breakfast.  

Transportation wise, I’ll Uber or Lyft.  

Since you have Holiday Inn points (presumably IHG points) I'd suggest booking the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. It's very close to the port and they have shuttle service to the cruise terminal for a small charge.

From LAX to the hotel take Uber or Lyft.

Edited by njhorseman

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Since you have Holiday Inn points (presumably IHG points) I'd suggest booking the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. It's very close to the port and they have shuttle service to the cruise terminal for a small charge.

From LAX to the hotel take Uber or Lyft.

...with the caution that you can't Uber from the LAX terminals, you have to shuttle over to the LAX-It lot and Uber from there. Only Uber exception is the "uber-expensive" ;o) Uber Blacks which can pick up at the terminals.  But yes, with a 7PM arrival into LAX, the Crowne Plaza in SP would be the best bet. On our last trip into LAX we didn't arrive until 9:30PM so we chose to hotel it at the airport and Uber down to the port the next morning.

LAX area is largely unexciting...nowhere really to eat except hotel restaurants...nowhere to venture out...though I guess you're arriving late enough that you won't care.  Still, I wouldn't stay there.  Worth heading straight to Pedro just to get all of the stress out of the way and leave yourself with an easy Saturday morning.  Long Beach may be a choice for some people...but not with as little time as you'd be there...you'd just be adding additional Uber rides and unnecessary trips.

The Crowne Plaza is perfect--especially with Holiday Inn points.  It's even walkable to the cruise pier (about three blocks) or a very short Uber ride...or a cheap hotel shuttle (yeah. the CP charges...but only something like $6...reserve a time slot when you check in).  I've never eaten at the hotel but there are lots of restaurant choices within a block or two.

Don't be afraid of the Uber pick-up deal at LAX...it's nowhere near as bad as somne might have you think.  We do it all the time (including last Thursday, returning from a cruise.  Since we came in on United, we walked the short walk to the pick-up lot.  You can do this easily from Terminals 1, 2 and 7.  For other terminals, there is a very short shuttle bus ride which picks up CONSTANTLY outside all of the baggage claim areas and drops you at the "LAX-it" lot.)   Hit the Uber or Lyft app when you get to the lot and they make it fairly easily...lots of signage directing you to the proper pick-up location for your ride (We had "32-A" for our Lyft ride...car was there in 3 minutes!).  

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.  Think I’ll book the San Pedro Crown Plaza and try to sleep in (my body will be on Texas time so that isn’t gonna happen).   

Can Uber Black be pre-reserved for LAX?

If you want an  inexpensive place to stay, with no frills attached, and free continental breakfast as well as free shuttle to the port, try Vagabond Inn....I have stayed there before and had no problems as it is quite a bit less expensive than others in the area. The good thing about it, is they have a fridge & microwave, where others do not....not the greatest reviews, but very doable\

We live in TX and have flown from San Antonio a few times to LAX and if it were me I would stay near LAX and Uber to the port the next day.  You will be a little later that weekday commute, but Friday night commute in LA can be horrible with everybody fleeing town for the weekend, especially if it rains as nobody in LA knows how to drive in the rain.  We are Hilton people and always stay at the LAX Hilton so I can't speak to any HI properties. Yes Uber black can be RSVP at LAX and also to the cruise port, we did it.  In fact if you're going to Uber after the cruise definitely RSVP.  We walked right out to our Uber Black while others had been waiting at the curb for 20-30 minutes and still hadn't gotten a confirmed driver.    

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

On 8/28/2024 at 5:06 AM, TexasJam said:

Something with a decent breakfast.  

Regarding the Crowne Plaza...their breakfast is real good for a hotel.  A stacked buffet in their restaurant, with table service after you get your food. I negotiate including their breakfast for my party when I reserve. I think it was $15 if I had to pay. Maybe more now. CP is a good choice for sailing from SP. And the shuttle is a good option.  Maybe 15 minutes the short distance to the pier.  Probably 12 of those 15 minutes is LA traffic!

23 hours ago, Cruzbw said:

Regarding the Crowne Plaza...their breakfast is real good for a hotel.  A stacked buffet in their restaurant, with table service after you get your food. I negotiate including their breakfast for my party when I reserve. I think it was $15 if I had to pay. Maybe more now. CP is a good choice for sailing from SP. And the shuttle is a good option.  Maybe 15 minutes the short distance to the pier.  Probably 12 of those 15 minutes is LA traffic!

Thanks.  I’ve reserved it on points.