Charter flight questions

OKCer

Earlier today we received our final details for our December sail, to include hotel, charter flight, Ushuaia, details. One quick question. It notes for the charter flight from BA down to Ushuaia, each guest is only allowed ONE checked bag weighing no more than 50lbs, and ONE carry-on weighing only 13lbs. This seems a bit strict to me, especially allowing only one carry-on at such a light weight. Are backpacks/purses not allowed to be stowed under a seat, with luggage stored in the overhead? I’m needing to rethink my packing/luggage plan with this strict guidance. Any insight into a backpack purse from a previous guest is greatly appreciated. 

This is the guideline for a lot of domestic flights outside the US, and its consistent with other domestic airlines I flew in country. That said, they did not seem to be weighing or strictly counting carry ons and many had more. I had a backpack and a small purse and it was fine. 

Different cruise but a charter BA to Ushuaia.  Don't be first in line when check in opens (or anyplace close to first).  We were first in line for a charter flight and attendants were rested and just starting their day and very carefully weighed our suitcases and carryons and we were overweight in one suitcase and was told I could rearrange stuff and get reweighed.

It seemed to me as they got further down the line they didn't seem to pay as much attention to the weight (probably if it was too bad, they would do something).  We had rented our muck boots to be at the ship, many of those who brought theirs wore them on the plane.

On our flight last year they did not weigh any carry-ons during our check-in in either direction.  Unless you are a suite guest you don't get your seat assignment until check-in so space could be limited.  I believe they honored frequent flyer programs they are aligned to.  You had to add your info at check-in.

Posted (edited)

This was discussed by me ad nauseam here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2961925-carry-on-baggage-discrepancy-causing-a-serious-issue/

The desperately short version is this:

1) The airline states a limit, which may or may not be in agreement with Atlas;

2) Having been informed of the "limit" a passenger is expected to adhere to it;

3) Do they really check and weigh stuff? It is the airlines prerogative, some are more strict than others. I've been in places where everything is weighed, and some where they just blew it off.

4) On my Antarctic trip, they did not weigh - but I observed their "regular" flights everything was being weighed. Perhaps the private charter they waive a blind eye to?

5) The desk agent DID flag a few people on our flight that had really big backpacks, however they seemed to be able to board with them after some discussion. At least one of them did. I think another (or more) essentially had to "ramp check" them.

6) If your carry on looks "normal" they will likely let you by, but obviously big stuff will get their attention. It seems size more than weight throws up a flag.

7) If you are flying domestically within the country (not on a private charter) then yes, be prepared for stuff to get weighed.

I should add one thing... at the pre-cruise hotel all of the Atlas luggage that was being checked through to the ship was staged in a separate area in the lobby the morning we left. I did observe staff weighing all of that luggage individually before moving it to a different (though nearby) area. I don't know if any was "flagged" for being "overweight" or what would happen in that event or if they were running a total weight of everything to forward on to the airline.

Edited by Michael_A

I feel like this question is more about the number of bags allowed rather than the weight. Can we take a checked bag and two cabin bags (a backpack and a regular carry on) or will they deny that even if below the permitted weight. 

Thank you @Michael_A, sounds like you experienced a confusing mess. As @ukpylot noted, I’m more or less curious if I’m allowed to bring a backpack and store under my seat on the charter flight, in addition to the luggage that can only be 13lbs in the overhead bin. 

On 8/31/2024 at 5:40 PM, OKCer said:

Thank you @Michael_A, sounds like you experienced a confusing mess. As @ukpylot noted, I’m more or less curious if I’m allowed to bring a backpack and store under my seat on the charter flight, in addition to the luggage that can only be 13lbs in the overhead bin. 

I asked on our Atlas FB group and a half dozen people all replied saying they took both a roller bag for the bin and a backpack/small bag for under the seat and it was no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the post above about one checked bag on the charter flight.  Do they really only allow one checked bag on the charter flight? How firm are they on that.  I did try a search and this was the  thread that came up (operator error, I'm sure!)

We are allowed 2 checked bags on our international flight from the US.  I thought we might need them, since we will be returning with the large parkas.  

Thank you for any input.  We are going in January 2025, so it is coming up!

23 hours ago, BigNance said:

I read the post above about one checked bag on the charter flight.  Do they really only allow one checked bag on the charter flight? How firm are they on that.  I did try a search and this was the  thread that came up (operator error, I'm sure!)

We are allowed 2 checked bags on our international flight from the US.  I thought we might need them, since we will be returning with the large parkas.  

Thank you for any input.  We are going in January 2025, so it is coming up!

I am pretty certain there is no way to check two bags on the charter flight. Sounds like you are planning to bring too much clothes. One checked bag per person should be more than enough and you should still have room for the parka going home. Nearly everyone I spoke with on my Antarctica expedition packed much too much clothes, including myself. It is totally casual and the boots and parka they provide are extremely warm. Start working on making your packing list shorter. Enjoy this trip of a lifetime.

X2 with ridethetide. One bag is doable, but it's easy to overthink and thus overpack. I originally set out with 2 checked bags; my plan was to have the hotel keep one until we returned and stuff any excess into that for the flight home. However, American Airlines thwarted that by loosing 1 bag on the inbound flight (later recovered). The attire on the ship is very casual, and there is the option of laundry half way through (no charge, depending on your cabin). In retrospect, I took too much stuff. If I were to go again I could easily make 1 bag work (for clothes...).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ridethetide said:

I am pretty certain there is no way to check two bags on the charter flight. Sounds like you are planning to bring too much clothes. One checked bag per person should be more than enough and you should still have room for the parka going home. Nearly everyone I spoke with on my Antarctica expedition packed much too much clothes, including myself. It is totally casual and the boots and parka they provide are extremely warm. Start working on making your packing list shorter. Enjoy this trip of a lifetime.

Thank you. Will do! Although, it will be difficult. I am an admitted over packer 😬

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Michael_A said:

and there is the option of laundry half way through (no charge, depending on your cabin). In retrospect, I took too much stuff. If I were to go again I could easily make 1 bag work (for clothes...).

I presume you can do laundry at regular cost any time? I was planning on taking something like 5 days of clothes and doing laundry twice on my trip in December. Working on my wife to do the same 😁