Cunard Gins

hampshirelad

They are fine, there are four slightly-varied flavors meant to represent dry style, more juniper/floral, more briny, etc.  They make nice gifts and the bars sell them in small four packs for $25USD. I'm not sure I would use them for every day cocktails. We asked at the Commodore Club for a cocktail that would work in the drinks package every day to taste them. Again not objectionable but they have much better gins available.

Try Cotswolds branded gin if available. Botanical and fresh tasting. Fever Tree tonic required of course. I brought four bottles home of that gin home from QM2 last year. 

• Like 1

@hampshirelad

Maybe Brits use the term "house gin" (or "house liquor") different from the way we in the U.S. do, but I would expect a "house gin" to be what they'd pour if I asked for, say, a gin-and-tonic or a gin martini without specifying a particular brand of gin. I'm not sure what the house gin on Cunard is, but my educated guess is Gordon's.

By contrast, the four "Queens" gins are higher-priced gins in the way that Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, and Hendrick's are. On our recent 14-night QA cruise, I had a QA gin martini every night in the Chart Room, but my wife had her martinis made with QE gin. All four of the "Queens" gins are excellent in their own way, but you have to try them yourself to see which one you like best. 

Jim

1 hour ago, hampshirelad said:

I described them as Cunard "House " gins because I saw they were the main gins featured on the complementary bar in the QG cabins

I always have Gordon’s from lifelong habit, though, as it’s the export version, it is slightly more alcoholic than the stuff on sail in the UK.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I always have Gordon’s from lifelong habit, though, as it’s the export version, it is slightly more alcoholic than the stuff on sail in the UK.

and we always go for Bombay Sapphire. I've started giving it away as thank you's to neighbours who water my pots for me when we're away. They're almost lining up to do me the favour!!!😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

34 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

and we always go for Bombay Sapphire. I've started giving it away as thank you's to neighbours who water my pots for me when we're away. They're almost lining up to do me the favour!!!😁

Our current favorite is Harahorn from Norway. It's a little hard to find in the US, but worth the effort. We haven't thought of giving it away to our cat sitter, but that's an excellent suggestion.

• Like 1

Pickerings Gin is the more easily available gin from the distillery (Summerhall in Edinburgh) that makes Cunard and they’re all very nice. The Navy strength and standard gins are really solid for a G&T.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Agree with U for Bombay S. especially for G&T.