New NCL app roll out.

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

FWIW we asked our TA last month to book our MDR table for 2 reservations in the Pearl MDR on our 23-day B2B coming up in November. However, when our TA contacted NCL, she was told they now only make MDR reservations for tables to accommodate 6 or 8 guests.

I believe you and I did see that thread - and I think I even commented on it - yet the app and website are still allowing people to make reservations when they are travelling with less than 6 people, and I have yet to see an official announcement of the change, and I see NOTHING in the app or online that verify what your TA told you... 

If the cruise line has indeed made this change - they need to find a way to 1) tell their customers about the change - especially past customers who are used to making online MDR reservations in advance and 2) prevent their customers from making reservations if they are travelling in smaller groups if that is no longer permitted. Like I said - on the app - it gave the option to select the number of guests, I stated 3, and it gave me the reservation and confirmed the reservations. I wonder how many new and returning customers who have never been on this forum are doing the same thing as me because they never heard about this change. 

Also - their FAQ page hasn't changed - there is nothing saying I can't reserve for the main dining room as I used to. 

Frequently Asked Questions (ncl.com)

42 minutes ago, JSar said:

I believe you and I did see that thread - and I think I even commented on it - yet the app and website are still allowing people to make reservations when they are travelling with less than 6 people, and I have yet to see an official announcement of the change, and I see NOTHING in the app or online that verify what your TA told you... 

If the cruise line has indeed made this change - they need to find a way to 1) tell their customers about the change - especially past customers who are used to making online MDR reservations in advance and 2) prevent their customers from making reservations if they are travelling in smaller groups if that is no longer permitted. Like I said - on the app - it gave the option to select the number of guests, I stated 3, and it gave me the reservation and confirmed the reservations. I wonder how many new and returning customers who have never been on this forum are doing the same thing as me because they never heard about this change. 

Also - their FAQ page hasn't changed - there is nothing saying I can't reserve for the main dining room as I used to. 

Frequently Asked Questions (ncl.com)

I agree with everything you said, and hopefully NCL will formalize those MDR reservation rule changes soon. 

FWIW here is what we’re experiencing when we try to book a reservation for 2 using the new App in one of the MDRs on our Nov cruise. In this example it appears we can book a table for 2 on Day 6 in the Summer Palace MDR at either 5:30 pm or 8:30 pm. 

IMG_1443.thumb.jpeg.8af494ee66f49c6754914b483464a2e9.jpeg

After I selected the 5:30 pm option, I added it to the Cart. However, when I tried to then go to the Cart to complete the transaction, the App just gave me a blank screen. I then logged onto my NCL web account, went to the Dining section, and clicked on the Cart. It returned an error showing that my reservation request had exceeded the 15 minute wait period and subsequently rejected the reservation, even though I performed the App operation only a few minutes before. When I went back to the App, I was finally able to see the contents of the Cart and it was empty. For reference I got the same response when we tried to make the same reservation yesterday as well as just a few minutes ago.

So for us using the App on my iPad doesn’t allow us to book a reservation for 2, even though it gives the illusion it provides that option. And hopefully they resolve that issue one way or the other as the new App evolves. 

But that’s OK. As soon as we get onboard, we’re going to head straight to the Reservation Desk and make our MDR reservations. Or better yet, maybe by the time we board the Pearl on Nov 21, the App software will be updated so that we can book our MDR reservations once its connected to the onboard intranet and associated onboard server. 🤞

49 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But that’s OK. As soon as we get onboard, we’re going to head straight to the Reservation Desk and make our MDR reservations. Or better yet, maybe by the time we board the Pearl on Nov 21, the App software will be updated so that we can book our MDR reservations once its connected to the onboard intranet and associated onboard server. 

Having to immediately go stand in line and wait to fix an issue at customer service upon boarding is not okay.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Having to immediately go stand in line and wait to fix an issue at customer service upon boarding is not okay.

No, not customer service. But rather at a location where they are setup to make dining reservations. When we boarded the Jade for a 38-day B2B back in Oct 2022, we went to one of the restaurants setup to make MDR reservations. 

But my hope is that we will be able to make our MDR reservations using the new App once we board the ship. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I just downloaded the NEW NCL App and made reservations for 2 on the Breakaway on the day we leave the harbor at Taste (MDR) for 8:30pm without any issues. A bit later than I would like but I still made them just in case on departure day.

26 minutes ago, Bobby Winds said:

I just downloaded the NEW NCL App and made reservations for 2 on the Breakaway on the day we leave the harbor at Taste (MDR) for 8:30pm without any issues. A bit later than I would like but I still made them just in case on departure day.

Have you recieved your dinner confirmation email yet? No issues booking for 1 for me, but the confiramtion show 6 or 8 people for the MDR bookings.

27 minutes ago, Bobby Winds said:

Pay attention to your confirmation email. It might say 6 or 8 people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Winds said:

If I might ask, when is your embarkation day on the Breakaway, as its onboard server is scheduled to implement its new software interface to the App on September 15 (as noted in post #3)?

2 hours ago, Bobby Winds said:

If you decide that it is too late and you would like to eat earlier, just go to the MDR when you are hungry and ask to be seated. You will probably get in within 10 minutes, if not quicker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asawi said:

Have you recieved your dinner confirmation email yet? No issues booking for 1 for me, but the confiramtion show 6 or 8 people for the MDR bookings.

YES, but like you said the email says for 6 people. I just say the others heard that pirates might have boarded the ship, so they abandoned ship......lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, when is your embarkation day on the Breakaway, as its onboard server is scheduled to implement its new software interface to the App on September 15 (as noted in post #3)?

Not until Sept 29th.........could be that NCL is ahead of schedule on these new apps for the ships that were mentioned. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Winds said:

Not until Sept 29th.........could be that NCL is ahead of schedule on these new apps for the ships that were mentioned. 

Thanks! So when you clicked on the "Add to Cart" link, were you then able to actually go to the Cart to complete the transaction? As I mentioned above, I couldn't actually go to the Cart on the App after I added the 2-person reservation. For some reason my guess is that the actual Cart is on the Web server which of course now only allows me to book tables for 6 or 8, which I'm guessing is causing the "mismatch" hangup and subsequent failure.

However, if you were actually able to see the contents of the Cart on the App and complete the transaction, that gives me hope to try again a couple of weeks prior to our Nov 21 sailing on the Pearl.

On 8/30/2024 at 7:52 AM, shof515 said:

on my phone the google play store only has the legacy app, there is no new app 

did you look at the list above for rollout?  If you don't have a current reservation, I imagine it'll be last . .  .

18 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! So when you clicked on the "Add to Cart" link, were you then able to actually go to the Cart to complete the transaction? As I mentioned above, I couldn't actually go to the Cart on the App after I added the 2-person reservation. For some reason my guess is that the actual Cart is on the Web server which of course now only allows me to book tables for 6 or 8, which I'm guessing is causing the "mismatch" hangup and subsequent failure.

However, if you were actually able to see the contents of the Cart on the App and complete the transaction, that gives me hope to try again a couple of weeks prior to our Nov 21 sailing on the Pearl.

yes

• Thanks 1

FWIW I believe I just figured out how I checked in for our Nov 21 cruise on the Pearl via the App yesterday and my DW couldn’t until 21 days prior to our cruise. Yesterday morning I uploaded the new App, version 1.0.0, and she later on uploaded the App on her iPad in the afternoon after the new version 1.0.4 was uploaded to the Apple App Store. 

This morning my iPad recognized there was a new version (1.0.4) available for upload. When I subsequently uploaded this new version, it initially told me I couldn’t check-in until Oct 31, just like on my DW’s App was initially telling her yesterday. Then a few minutes later once the new version synched with the web server where it still shows that we are 100% checked in, the App now shows our Online Check In status as “Completed”.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

FWIW I believe I just figured out how I checked in for our Nov 21 cruise on the Pearl via the App yesterday and my DW couldn’t until 21 days prior to our cruise. Yesterday morning I uploaded the new App, version 1.0.0, and she later on uploaded the App on her iPad in the afternoon after the new version 1.0.4 was uploaded to the Apple App Store. 

This morning my iPad recognized there was a new version (1.0.4) available for upload. When I subsequently uploaded this new version, it initially told me I couldn’t check-in until Oct 31, just like on my DW’s App was initially telling her yesterday. Then a few minutes later once the new version synched with the web server where it still shows that we are 100% checked in, the App now shows our Online Check In status as “Completed”.

Interesting!   I wonder what the version number will be before I need to download it for our October cruise🤔

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! So when you clicked on the "Add to Cart" link, were you then able to actually go to the Cart to complete the transaction?

All of my reservations went through. I had some issues periodically - but the reservations are confirmed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JSar said:

All of my reservations went through. I had some issues periodically - but the reservations are confirmed. 

Cool. Did you get the confirmation email some folks have referenced above? If so, were the table sizes you booked for the 3 of you properly reflected?

36 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Cool. Did you get the confirmation email some folks have referenced above? If so, were the table sizes you booked for the 3 of you properly reflected?

Yes. My confirmation had tables for 4 and 6. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stellarose33 said:

if we have it installed already do we need to re-install the new one?

Which one do you have currently installed? The old one or the new one that just became available just a few days ago? In any event both the old one and the new one can coexist on the same device as they are separate Apps.

4 minutes ago, JSar said:

Yes. My confirmation had tables for 4 and 6. 

Cool. In our case our table for 2 reservation request never even successfully made it to the Cart, which actually exists on the mainland NCL server.

Edited by Ken the cruiser