Need low fat eating tips due to recent gall bladder issues

Alifay

Posted (edited)

Hello!

In the last week I’ve developed some gall bladder problems and am working with my care team to address it. My cruise is Sept 9, and I will need to go lower-fat than I usually do.  We have the new premier package and will be eating dinner in the specialty restaurants every night (Harmony, Crown Grill, and Rudi’s). 

What are your tips for staying low fat to save me from excessive gall bladder pain?

My plans so far:

Bring my own low fat salad dressings

Order sauces on the side 

Ask items to be prepared with minimal fats/oils

Enjoy lots of fruits and veg

Stay away from anything deep fried

Any other tips ?  Thanks!

edit to add: I already don’t eat red meat and will lean more towards seafood options

Edited by Alifay

You will have much better options in the MDR than at the specialty dining restaurants.  The Assistant Manager in all restaurants is the person you want to contact about your meal plans.  In the MDR, take a list of the foods you are able to eat and your desired requests.  They will place an order the night before.  

Specialty Restaurants are more restrictive in what you can order or modify.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

They use a lot of butter.  You’ll need to speak to the SD head waiter of each venue and ask to have the foods prepared low fat for you.

Stay away from all that mousse and cakes.  Fruit platters would work for you.

You could add your dietary restriction to the website.  Go to booked guests

>manage booking (used to be cruise personalizer)>check in>dietary restrictions >click on your name>allergy>add Low Fat 

Not a specific category for low fat, but you could enter there or just talk to the manager or head waiter.  They will help with choices.  You’re going to get to know them, eating there every night.

Get back to us snd let us know how the new premier package works out in the SD restaurants.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Filet mignon at Crown Grill. Virtually fat free. 

You don’t mention World Fresh Market, but the Princess buffets on every ship I’ve sailed have had excellent salad bars. And low fat dressings. Seek out a chef for advice at the buffet. 

I work with MDR and buffet crew to keep the dairy off my plate. It shouldn’t be difficult to get help keeping the fat content low. Consult with a dining room manager. 

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You will have much better options in the MDR than at the specialty dining restaurants.  The Assistant Manager in all restaurants is the person you want to contact about your meal plans.  In the MDR, take a list of the foods you are able to eat and your desired requests.  They will place an order the night before.  

Specialty Restaurants are more restrictive in what you can order or modify.

My husband has been looking forward to specialty dining. I don’t eat red meat and it’s basically the only time he gets steak haha. His own fault, he could cook it himself but no. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

They use a lot of butter.  You’ll need to speak to the SD head waiter of each venue and ask to have the foods prepared low fat for you.

>manage booking (used to be cruise personalizer)>check in>dietary restrictions >click on your name>allergy>add Low Fat 

Not a specific category for low fat, but you could enter there or just talk to the manager or head waiter.  They will help with choices.  You’re going to get to know them, eating there every night.

Get back to us snd let us know how the new premier package works out in the SD restaurants.

This is all so helpful, thank you so much. I’ll make sure to ask them to use light oil/butter.  The specific dessert recommendations are great, I was also thinking fruit plate and maybe sorbet. 

I’ll let you know how it goes!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Filet mignon at Crown Grill. Virtually fat free. 

You don’t mention World Fresh Market, but the Princess buffets on every ship I’ve sailed have had excellent salad bars. And low fat dressings. Seek out a chef for advice at the buffet. 

I work with MDR and buffet crew to keep the dairy off my plate. It shouldn’t be difficult to get help keep the fat content low. Consult with a dining room manager. 

I don’t eat steak, otherwise that would be great. I’m going to see if they can modify the seabass, it’s my favorite meal ever. I might have to forgo the fried prawns and the creamy sauce but it’ll probably still be great. 

You’ve seen low fat dressings?!  I was sure I hadn’t, which is why I planned to bring my own. 

Thanks for the advice !

We were on the Island in June. My husband can’t have salt ( heart condition) so Mario the head waiter in Reserve dining gave him the menu every day and the planned every meal for the next day. It was amazing. They prepared everything just for him. Just love Princess. 

• Like 4

One of my cruise companions is allergic to Rosemary which they use liberally. Every evening the headwaiter brings the next-day menu, and they plan a special meal just for her.

Outstanding service! 👍 👍 👍 

A bonus is that the rest of us get to see what will be served the next evening. 

Next Friday, the 6 of us head for Alaska. 😁

• Like 2

I learned pretty quickly through trial and error.  You can eat anything you want — depending on whether you enjoy pain afterwards!   Early on I remember I had some fried chicken, and, well, that was 10 years ago and I haven’t made that mistake since.  Ask your doctor for a referral to talk with a nutritionist when you return from your cruise.  I learned so many helpful tips. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alifay said:

I don’t eat steak, otherwise that would be great. I’m going to see if they can modify the seabass, it’s my favorite meal ever. I might have to forgo the fried prawns and the creamy sauce but it’ll probably still be great. 

You’ve seen low fat dressings?!  I was sure I hadn’t, which is why I planned to bring my own. 

Thanks for the advice !

I didn’t see them myself, but in June we took my daughter’s family with us on Enchanted.  My son in law has a degree in exercise science and nutrition.  He limits certain ingredients including fat and I saw him at the salad bar every day. I know he talked to a chef at the buffet before he took his first plate of anything. 

Posted (edited)

The tough one will be that you plan dine at Harmony. Originally, they had a more varied menu but most of the dishes now reflect Cantonese style, mostly fried. So when the appetizers says Spring Roll, it will likely be the fried wonton wrapper, not the unfried Vietnamese rice wrapper style.

One thing I've learned is Princess is footloose about how they name dishes. 

Their menu is available online, so some pre-planning will help. Bottom line, ask your waiter to make recommendations.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Thank you so much. I just did as you said for my dear hubby who has a severe allergy to anything sunflower

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

The tough one will be that you plan dine at Harmony. Originally, they had a more varied menu but most of the dishes now reflect Cantonese style, mostly fried. So when the appetizers says Spring Roll, it will likely be the fried wonton wrapper, not the unfried Vietnamese rice wrapper style.

One thing I've learned is Princess is footloose about how they name dishes. 

Their menu is available online, so some pre-planning will help. Bottom line, ask your waiter to make recommendations.

Don't ask your waiter for recommendations. Waiters are not trained to handle dietary restrictions. Head waiters (or restaurant managers or whatever they're called now) are the ones with the training.

Also it's too late to ask when you get to the restaurant. I recommend you treat the specialty restaurants the same way you would treat the MDR. Order your menu from the head waiter the day before. That will give them time to customize the preparation. If they can't customize it satisfactorily for you, you can change your reservation to another restaurant.

Also, I recommend you talk with a head waiter in the MDR each evening before a sea day, even if you're not eating dinner there. You can pre-order your lunch the day before also.

• Like 2