GRATUITIES/TIPS/DAILY SERVICE CHARGE – ULTIMATE GUIDE

Guindalf

On 9/5/2024 at 2:41 AM, the penguins said:

Thanks.

I think the sommeliers get a 20% gratuity on every bottle/drink you order. 

Is is 20% on every PAID for bottle? I would think the majority of passengers would try to drink within their package limits. That being the case, how would the sommeliers get tipped? on package consumption alone? We usually tip them separately for exceptional service.

4 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

Is is 20% on every PAID for bottle? I would think the majority of passengers would try to drink within their package limits.

Yes.  20% on all bottle purchases, and they get their spiff on all onboard wine and drink related activities they book as well.

And some of us do enjoy nicer wines than are provided 'within our package' ... even the so-called "Premium" package where the by-the-glass options are mostly pretty ho-hum.

3 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

Is is 20% on every PAID for bottle? I would think the majority of passengers would try to drink within their package limits. That being the case, how would the sommeliers get tipped? on package consumption alone? We usually tip them separately for exceptional service.

When you order a drink from the Sommelier from within your drinks package they get the 20% grat just the same e.g. the drink you ordered was $8 you pay “nothing” as it’s from your package Sommelier gets $1.60 in real money.

In general tipping has gotten out of hand in the U.S. Restaurants have started to add anywhere from 16 to 20 auto tips to the bill along with a 3% "convenience" charge for paying with a credit card, Fast food has jumped on the wagon with suggested tips at the kiosk where you order and pay for your order, if you order food to be delivered via one of the food delivery apps the restaurant charges a fee and then you tip the driver. Enough is enough.  My rule is if I stand when I'm ordering no tip. If I cruise I pay the suggested tip and the tip I was charge for the drink package and no more.  This is what everyone has agreed to pay when they booked the cruise. What the cruise line does with their staff in terms of compensation is between them and their staff who have agreed to the terms when they signed the contract.

For the life of me I don't know where some of you get the nerve to ask the staff about their salary and tips. How would you like it if another passenger asked your annual salary? Those who would have you believe that they over tip is as exaggerated as the numbers Brits I read about at guest services who remove the tips.

• Like 4

Got an email from Costco with a $50 coupon to order on line with instant cart , the closest Costco is 45 mins away, ordering online Costco has higher prices so I thought the $50 discount would cover the difference 

Go to check out than a screen comes up for a tip ,with a statement that $0 tip your order would be delayed 

I canceled the complete order , screw instant cart , I am paying more per item already , stuff on Costco online that is not delivered by instant cart doesnt not ask for a tip 🤬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Got an email from Costco with a $50 coupon to order on line with instant cart , the closest Costco is 45 mins away, ordering online Costco has higher prices so I thought the $50 discount would cover the difference 

Go to check out than a screen comes up for a tip ,with a statement that $0 tip your order would be delayed 

I canceled the complete order , screw instant cart , I am paying more per item already , stuff on Costco online that is not delivered by instant cart doesnt not ask for a tip 🤬

It's totally out of control now and it's a real turn off in terms of tipping.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 1:21 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Beyond outrageous. I've always loved Costco for both their quality and business practices: their folks are paid a living wage, etc. I did use their delivery service a few times during lockdown in the spring of 2020 and of course I tipped that person. But to say it will be "delayed"??!? Sounds like blackmail to me. This is all on their new CEO.

12 minutes ago, TJ O'Pootertoot said:

Banking on the no-such-thing-as-a-stupid-question philosophy, I'll throw out a softball, as I'm new to Celebrity:

If you order the "free," in-room continental breakfast, do you tip the attendant who brings it? And if so, a couple of bucks in cash right then and/or at the end of the cruise?

Yes I give the delivery person a few dollars - the amount depends on how much we order.  It may or may not be your room attendant who delivers it.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2024 at 1:26 PM, sofietucker said:

Beyond outrageous. I've always loved Costco for both their quality and business practices: their folks are paid a living wage, etc. I did use their delivery service a few times during lockdown in the spring of 2020 and of course I tipped that person. But to say it will be "delayed"??!? Sounds like blackmail to me. This is all on their new CEO.

Sounds like it’s on insta cart to me…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TJ O'Pootertoot said:

If you order the "free," in-room continental breakfast, do you tip the attendant who brings it? And if so, a couple of bucks in cash right then and/or at the end of the cruise?

Unless it is our butler doing the the delivery, we pay when the food is delivered as there is no guarantee you'll ever see the person that delivers your food again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Unless it is our butler doing the the delivery, we pay when the food is delivered as there is no guarantee you'll ever see the person that delivers your food again. 

Kinda like tipping the pizza delivery guy. 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

Kinda like tipping the pizza delivery guy. 🙂

Exactly.  Anything done by anyone other than Butler, stateroom assistant, sommelier, dining room or  waiter/assistant waiter gets tipped when warranted in real time.  Those others are tipped at the end of the cruise, again where warranted. 

• Like 1