Icon of the Seas cabins with 20% obstruction

We have booked cabin 8564 and my TA says that it is noted to have a 20% obstruction.  But when I questioned what that obstruction might be she couldn’t get an answer from Royal.  So I looked at an exterior picture of the Icon and lo and behold there are 3 cabins decks 8, 9 and 10) that show huge white pillars of some sort on these particular balconies.  So I would like to know if anyone has stayed in one of these 20% obstructed cabins and what are your feelings on staying there.  Royal doesn’t discount those cabins even with an obstruction.  There’s still time to change our cabin but the inventory is getting low.

Thank you

This is a tour of #8164 which is directly across the ship from #8564 in your same category:

I just watched the video and saw no obstruction on the balcony (maybe I just missed it). On the ship map, it says it's obstructed too. It's also an extended balcony, so a little bigger than some of the others. Enjoy!!

Edited by SilkySal
add

Other than with the video provided by @SilkySal I don't have any direct experience with this particular stateroom.  But in general, minor obstructions often would include window washing equipment that might be located nearby, or a partially obstructed downward view resulting from lifeboat positioning on a lower deck, or some form of superstructure or other such object in view, such as you refer. 

But the video doesn't seem to indicate what the obstruction might be, so if it were me I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.  Nor would I think any type of discount should be involved as whatever minor obstruction may exist will not likely take away from your balcony enjoyment.  In fact as it is described as a larger balcony it likely is in a premium fare category as a result.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

22 hours ago, SugSug said:

We have booked cabin 8564 and my TA says that it is noted to have a 20% obstruction.  But when I questioned what that obstruction might be she couldn’t get an answer from Royal.  So I looked at an exterior picture of the Icon and lo and behold there are 3 cabins decks 8, 9 and 10) that show huge white pillars of some sort on these particular balconies.  So I would like to know if anyone has stayed in one of these 20% obstructed cabins and what are your feelings on staying there.  Royal doesn’t discount those cabins even with an obstruction.  There’s still time to change our cabin but the inventory is getting low.

Thank you

Dear Guest,

We're counting down the days until we welcome you onboard the beautiful Icon of the Seas for our February 8, 2025 sailing! We've recently taken delivery of Icon of the Seas after 5 years of ideation to creation. Along the way, the ship that gets delivered can look slightly different from the blueprints drafted years ago - even more so when it's the first ship in a class.

After conducting our final thorough review of our newest ship, we've noted that your room has a slightly obstructed view of up to 20% due to the structure which supports our window washers. For a majority of your time onboard, your view will have minimal obstruction, then for a brief period the window washer may be stationed outside your balcony.

The time and effort you took to plan your cruise is important to us, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Nonetheless, we're confident that all there is to do and see onboard Icon of the Seas will more than make it up to you! If this accommodation no longer meets your travel needs, please feel free to reach out to your partner or directly to us at:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1