Is Holland America Line falling behind?

Sdfgh

53 minutes ago, EtaC said:

Well, scanning is a little tough for me but in general the music ended between 1130 and midnight. I'm looking at one where the last RS set started at 11 and the Billboard at 1045.

Wow, that's different. In my experience, Billboard and RSRR have never played at the same time!! They play alternate 45 minute sets.  So, if one started at 9:30 (play until 10:15) and the other would start at 10:15 and play until 10:45. How did that sound with both rooms playing simultaneously?

I certainly hope things are 'packed until midnight' on my upcoming Oosterdam cruise. I'll post photos because on every single HAL ship I've sailed by midnight all the bands are packed up and maybe one or two people are left wandering to their rooms. Heck, most of the time by 11:30 things are pretty sparce. 

. I suspect most HAL folks like to go to bed before midnight. I would prefer entertainment to run later, but in all reality that's a first world problem and I'm just grateful being able to cruise and adjust my schedule accordingly. 

But, those looking for a late night partying past midnight as a fun part of their cruise vacation, you should maybe give HAL a pass or adjust expectations.  I'm taking my hubby on his first HAL cruise and I'm already preparing him for the lack of entertainment and activities when compared to other main stream lines. 

Edited to add: I just went and looked at one of the dailies I posted in my live thread. This particular evenings entertainment was completely finished by 11:15 (45 minute sets starting at 10:30).  The entertainment on the world stage was a movie. There was a classical matinee at 4:00. I can pretty much guarantee that on this night by 11:30 the ship was ghostlike. 

On Pinnacle class ships BBKings and RS/BB can play simultaneously because they are separated by doors (although the music does bleed if you have good ears). Maybe that's the case on the Oosterdam now that they got rid of BBKings musicians? So maybe they can play at the same time? 

image.thumb.png.a75212c4ebf17c30dd401d003ae22d86.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

On Pinnacle class ships BBKings and RS/BB can play simultaneously because they are separated by doors (although the music does bleed if you have good ears). Maybe that's the case on the Oosterdam now that they got rid of BBKings musicians? So maybe they can play at the same time? 

On all the non-pinnacle ships Rolling Stone Lounge is a completely separate area from Billboard. Remember the old Queens Lounge? That's now Rolling Stone Lounge on those ships.Billboard is further forward, not connected to RS at all.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it kind of sad that Holland America literally "put all of their chips" on this Music Walk concept. If you love to dance and/or sit and listen to different kinds of music in the evenings, then HAL is now definitely a good choice. No one can argue that. 

It's not enough for us in terms of evening entertainment.... and it doesn't even begin to address the issue of daytime onboard activities. 

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 2

I wouldn't say that HAL got rid of BB Kings on the Vista class ships. They faced a choice. With only two viable spaces for Music Walk venues they went with Rolling Stone and Billboard vice BB King's and Billboard. As far as I can tell the Pinnacles with three spaces still have all three venues And yes, the loss of Lincoln Center Stage hurts but isn't a fatal blow (Again my opinion. Your milage may vary). There was also a jazz trio that played in the Ocean bar most of the evening (to about 1030) and recorded ballroom music from 6 to 7.

I've attached two schedules from my recent cruise. One is from a port day in Rhodes. The other is from a sea day. I leave it as an exercise for the student to determine if there is enough activity for their satisfaction.

Sea day.pdf Rhodes schecule.pdf

On 9/16/2024 at 11:05 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

On other main stream lines we close the bar at 2:00-3:00 a.m. and then hit up one of the 24 hour food venues for some bar chow.

Other than a sea day the following day I'm curious how you can get to bed about 0330, then get up a just a few hours later to get off the ship for an excursion whether self, or with a ship tour?  I cannot fathom keeping this schedule after paying this much money to sail to different countries, cities, etc.  Exception might be a TA with days on end at sea.

For us a "ghost ship" at night is wonderful and we know this ahead of time with HAL, Oceania, etc.

2 hours ago, mb777 said:

Other than a sea day the following day I'm curious how you can get to bed about 0330, then get up a just a few hours later to get off the ship for an excursion whether self, or with a ship tour?  I cannot fathom keeping this schedule after paying this much money to sail to different countries, cities, etc.  Exception might be a TA with days on end at sea.

For us a "ghost ship" at night is wonderful and we know this ahead of time with HAL, Oceania, etc.

Am curious why anyone who was already asleep, would care whether others are awake (and enjoying themselves) late at night.  Some of my fondest HAL memories are of the late nights (well past midnight) sitting in the Crow's Nest with a few other night owl passengers and some crew (including the Captain) on the Prinsendam.   More recently, we would generally close down the bar at BB Kings or Rolling Stone (depending on the ship) sometime after midnight. If one wanted to stay up until 2am on a HAL ship, they would not be able to find an open bar (or any venue). 

On our longer HAL cruises, it is very common for the ship to become a "ghost ship" by 10:30.  But there are always a few of us "night owls" who socialize until well past midnight.  If I get to bed by 1 or 2, it is not a problem to be up and out by 9.