Farewell to Rudi ?

Two days ago 9/1 I was making a reservation for Rudi's on the Nieuw Statendam, and mentioned that we had been eating there since it was launched on the Koningsdam.  The matri'd then said that this would be our last chance, that Rudi had "left the company" so it would be closing.  The replacement not clear, but something fish oriented.  I presume the 'company' is HAL, not Carnival Corp, given the successful Rudi-branded restaurants on Princess.  Going 'fish' sounds like a rebrand to Morimoto.  It's ironic - the full name is "Rudi's Sel de Mer"' and when opened it was focused on fish as a counterpart to steak at Pinnacle.  That wasn't successful, so it morphed into a varied French menu.  Why try fish again?  My humble opinion is that the big problem with Rudi's is the price, and being too too ritzy.  I would change the menu to classic French bistro, as a counterpart to Canaletto, and at about the same price.  Food prep and staff would be much cheaper.  And then broaden the Pinnacle menu with fish, and pop-up Morimoto like on the older ships.  More choice for everyone.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I too have always enjoyed Rudi’s, but I do agree with your thinking.  Though it would be fine with me if it remained the same!  I will be on the Rotterdam in January and was delighted to see it was still there when the specialty restaurant reservations opened.

1 hour ago, HollDoll said:

I too have always enjoyed Rudi’s, but I do agree with your thinking.  Though it would be fine with me if it remained the same!  I will be on the Rotterdam in January and was delighted to see it was still there when the specialty restaurant reservations opened.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

As well as on the Koningsdam in January!!

2 hours ago, JennysUncle said:

.  I would change the menu to classic French bistro, as a counterpart to Canaletto, and at about the same price.  

I like this idea.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JennysUncle said:

The replacement not clear, but something fish oriented. 

It will be Morimoto by Sea.  I wonder if anyone who has been on the Nieuw Amsterdam has already tried it?  Link to Nieuw Amsterdam Announcement

We attended one of his Master Chef’s pop-up, and it was fabulous.

Here is one of the threads where it is discussed:

Just off the Nieuw Statendam and Rudy's was essentially empty every night of our 21 day cruise. Clearly, it's a lost revenue opportunity (and cost center) for HAL.  Hopefully, a new restaurant will attract more diners....perhaps they should include it in HIA or HIA plus. We probably would have tried it on our next cruise as we just made 4 star so there's a discount...

We visited Rudi's twice during our July cruise on Statendam.  We loved it and both days were fairly busy but I do understand that many are put off for a number of reasons.

We are approaching 5 star mariner and so have lots of experience of the changes of the years and we look forward to new opportunities.  Rudi is still with the Carnival group.

On 9/4/2024 at 1:44 PM, ghstudio said:

Just off the Nieuw Statendam and Rudy's was essentially empty every night of our 21 day cruise. Clearly, it's a lost revenue opportunity (and cost center) for HAL.  Hopefully, a new restaurant will attract more diners....perhaps they should include it in HIA or HIA plus. We probably would have tried it on our next cruise as we just made 4 star so there's a discount...

I was on the Nieuw Statendam in July and Rudy's was empty most nights with just 3-4 tables being occupied. It was actually kind of funny. Tamarind was bursting at the seems every night (overbooked when I was there) while Rudy's was hardly occupied. I would double the size of Tamarind and forget the fresh seafood. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I would double the size of Tamarind and forget the fresh seafood. 

The fresh seafood program is fantastic!  I would not wish it to go away because it’s one of the things which I find appealing about HAL.

• Like 2