Medical ?

Cruisegirl6

2 hours ago, alexandria said:

Please discuss your cruise plans, as well as the concern about getting necessary medication while away, with your physician.  It may be inadvisable for you to sail at this time with balance and gait issues unless you are prepared to possibly make your way around the ship using a cane, walker or mobility scooter.  Or it may just simply be inadvisable.  You and your physician need to make that determination together.

If your physician clears you to sail, he can go over any risks that would be posed by your doing so prior to a full review of all test results and proper dispense of any Rx that may be indicated.  Frankly, I would expect any licensed and competent physician would refuse to "call in" or send a new prescription to a pharmacy/drug store in a foreign country on your behalf before discussing with you the results and proposed treatment plan. 

And please, whatever you do, DO NOT walk into a business in Mexico (or any other foreign country) and ask for any type of medication.  First, there is a risk (perhaps substantial) that what they will provide you will not be genuine, pure, effective or unaltered.  Do you have any idea how many American citizens have died as a result of ingesting fentanyl-laced pills that were brought into the US from Mexico?  Many thousands.

Even if what you receive is genuine and safe, when you fill an Rx at your local pharmacy, the pharmacist knows what you are currently taking, whether you have any allergies and so on.  If there is the potential for adverse drug interactions or allergic reaction, the pharmacist can consult with your physician before dispensing.  And when dispensing a medication that is new to you, your local pharmacist will provide you instructions on how and when to take the medication and what side effects, if any, to expect.

Finally, from a legal standpoint, acquiring or attempting to acquire anything you would consider "prescription medication" in a foreign country can expose you to adverse consequences, including arrest and imprisonment.  It is simply unwise.

Again, I urge you to speak with your physician about your travel plans and your desire to acquire appropriate medication while on your cruise.  I suspect that if the physician does indicate it is okay for you to sail, since this appears to be a chronic condition, he/she will not discuss any treatment plan or prescribe any new medications for you until you have returned.  If so, please be sure you understand the risks of sailing without having a treatment plan in place.  And discuss with him/her what mobility assistance is appropriate to best ensure that you can cruise safely and minimize your risk of injury from a fall onboard.

Best wishes.

I find the Mega in Cozumel to be quite reputable.  That said, OP is not cruising to Cozumel.

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alexandria said:

Please discuss your cruise plans, as well as the concern about getting necessary medication while away, with your physician.  It may be inadvisable for you to sail at this time with balance and gait issues unless you are prepared to possibly make your way around the ship using a cane, walker or mobility scooter.  Or it may just simply be inadvisable.  You and your physician need to make that determination together.

If your physician clears you to sail, he can go over any risks that would be posed by your doing so prior to a full review of all test results and proper dispense of any Rx that may be indicated.  Frankly, I would expect any licensed and competent physician would refuse to "call in" or send a new prescription to a pharmacy/drug store in a foreign country on your behalf before discussing with you the results and proposed treatment plan. 

And please, whatever you do, DO NOT walk into a business in Mexico (or any other foreign country) and ask for any type of medication.  First, there is a risk (perhaps substantial) that what they will provide you will not be genuine, pure, effective or unaltered.  Do you have any idea how many American citizens have died as a result of ingesting fentanyl-laced pills that were brought into the US from Mexico?  Many thousands.

Even if what you receive is genuine and safe, when you fill an Rx at your local pharmacy, the pharmacist knows what you are currently taking, whether you have any allergies and so on.  If there is the potential for adverse drug interactions or allergic reaction, the pharmacist can consult with your physician before dispensing.  And when dispensing a medication that is new to you, your local pharmacist will provide you instructions on how and when to take the medication and what side effects, if any, to expect.

Finally, from a legal standpoint, acquiring or attempting to acquire anything you would consider "prescription medication" in a foreign country can expose you to adverse consequences, including arrest and imprisonment.  It is simply unwise.

Again, I urge you to speak with your physician about your travel plans and your desire to acquire appropriate medication while on your cruise.  I suspect that if the physician does indicate it is okay for you to sail, since this appears to be a chronic condition, he/she will not discuss any treatment plan or prescribe any new medications for you until you have returned.  If so, please be sure you understand the risks of sailing without having a treatment plan in place.  And discuss with him/her what mobility assistance is appropriate to best ensure that you can cruise safely and minimize your risk of injury from a fall onboard.

Best wishes.

Hello.  I do have a foldable cane.  Yes, I been cleared to sail, but I am not allowed to fly, the reason why we booked this cruise as we were suppose to fly to Aruba for two weeks last month, and I was unable to fly.  I been like this with these symptoms for 9 weeks now, if I need medication and unable to get it what is another week waiting, I just was curious to whether I was able to get it, but its ok if I don't.  

Your absolutely correct about being cautious getting medications in Mexico, fortunately, we are not going there but to the ABC islands.  I have friends that live in Aruba that would be able to bring me to a pharmacy, but I was asking just out of curiosity.  Your absolutely correct about taking other medications and interactions, if I need any medication, I can wait, great advice thank you!

In the past 17 days, I taken 6 mri's, 4 ct scans, 4 ultrasounds, heart tests including stress test (which are pending due to the surgeon not releasing results until I see him on the 18th but was advised by his associate that they always look at the results immediately after tests).  Today,  I get nerve conduction studies which takes 48 hours for my neurologist to get the results and I board saturday.  I honestly feel I have parkinsons disease which there is no test, it is diagnosed after they rule out all the other things which I have done and they found no reason for my balance issues.  ugh.

10 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

same thoughts as Zitsky. You have some nasty symptoms. Feeling like you are falling…not good. Sounds as though your balance is off, or sensation, but then you are going on a ship.  Definitely not the same as being onland  The waters between Florida and the ABC s can be a bit rocky. 

2ndly.  Health Insurance?..     Does your doctor know you are travelling?  perhaps he can assist you in making the best decision,   Best wishes

Hello, yes my physicians all know I am traveling and gave me the okay only the advised not to fly which I am not.  

That is exactly how I feel swaying like on a ship in very rough seas.  I do have international health insurance that does cover pre-existing conditions just in case, I always have it on all my trips through the years.  🙂

• Like 2