2nd time on O first on Vista - some thoughts

Techno123

Just returned from a 10 night cruise on Vista - Monaco to Athens. Concierge suite, on Simply More so included wine/beer with lunch and dinner, $600 for excursions and included gratuities (we are UK based)

Ship - whilst a bit 'blocky' from the outside, Vista's interior is lovely. Some of the artwork is impressive but some of the more modern abstract paintings not so much to my taste. The Veranda suites are compact in comparison to the equivalent on the newer SB and R ships but tastefully decorated and (surprisingly) quite a lot of storage. Not much room to pass at the foot of the bed and bathroom is probably best one person at a time but these are minor issues. Good sports facilities - great putting green, driving net, bocce/croquet pitch, shuffleboard, bag toss, pickle/paddle board court and a dedicated walking/running track. Line of sight in Vista longe not so good and being on one level it seemed very low. We only had one sail away event (the last night) which surprised me.

Food, Drink and Dining Venues - food, on the whole was good to very good - better than SB and on a par with R. I initially loved the Grand Dining Room, but, as we eat later, it sometimes had an air of the Marie Celeste. Enjoyed the specialities, although the system went down in Toscana and we waited over an hour between appetiser and main (more on that later). Ate twice in the Terrace Cafe in the evening - Greek night and the last night when we had a pizza which was good - not the best but definitely better than the lunchtime offerings. I found the lunchtime appetisers in TC limited and did not like the ice cream at all (sorbets were good though). I have commented elsewhere re mine and hubbies opposing views on being served at the buffet - I don't mind but, they definitely make servings too big unless you are VERY specific 😁Loved the coffee in Barristas. There was an adequate range of wines and the ones we tried were palatable. We purchased the Prestige package and probably came out even in the end, however, because there are different offerings, the need to present the card slowed the service and there was definitely not the same level of drinks service in the pool area when I was there (not even the offer of iced water) so had to go to waves to order nor was it comprehensive in the Vista lounge (again I think this is due to the necessity to produce the card which needs to be run by the staff member slowing service down).

Staff - excellent - friendly, helpful and we were referred to by name a few times. As mentioned by others, the wine service was a little slow to start with but we used to ask the serving staff to send the Sommelier over so did not wait long. We always find a table in TC or Waves, get our drinks then our food so not an issue for us in the way it was for those who get food first and have practically finished before drinks arrive.

Other passengers - I would say the passengers were definitely younger than our last 2 cruises on R and SB where we were at the younger end of the demographic. There were a significant number of passengers who were Spanish first language who I believe were from Columbia plus a large group who I think were travel advisers, plus a few families with older teenagers - very few younger children.

Ports of call - we made all ports of call and no reduction in time onshore. 3 tender stops, two of which used port tenders which I haven't experienced before.

Noise - absolutely none from adjacent cabins - a little noise from the corridor if a group of people walking and chatting but otherwise very quiet.

Gripes - not very many 😁 As I mentioned, there was an issue in Toscana with the electronic ordering system. We received appetisers and had also ordered a Primi and Secondi. 45 minutes after arriving a member of staff came to tell us the system was down and asked what we had ordered for our main -  we anticipated the arrival of the Primi and possibly a wait for main my husband eventually left after an hour having only had his appetiser as he wanted to watch the show. I stayed and staff were very apologetic to me, but of course he had already gone. I fully understand systems go down but the communication around this was not what I would have expected. He did refer to this on his mid cruise survey and up to the point of us leaving the ship, no-one contacted him to apologise or to offer another night. On our last SB cruise there were definitely some food issues reported (by others, not us this time) but senior members of staff made it their mission to seek out those customers to apologise and seek a resolution for them. He didn't expect staff to chase him round the ship to apologise but I don't think a phone call and an offer of another booking was too much to expect.(Yes I know we could have done it ourselves but it's how a company reacts when things don't go well that is the measure of their customer service).

All that said it was an enjoyable cruise - not perfect, but if you travel expecting perfection you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for your balanced review and for your comparison with Seabourn and Regent. I agree with you that you should have been offered another night at Toscana, possibly by the Maitre D' on the very night. How were O's excursions? Which other O ship did you sail on? Would you return on O?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mhdesno2 said:

Thank you for your balanced review and for your comparison with Seabourn and Regent. I agree with you that you should have been offered another night at Toscana, possibly by the Maitre D' on the very night. How were O's excursions? Which other O ship did you sail on? Would you return on O?

The Maitre D' after apologising, did say you must come back but then did not do anything to arrange that with me 😢

Our first cruise with O was Insignia in a veranda - far too small so probably not Insignia unless we splurge for a higher level. Vista, yes I would (if I can persuade hubby 😜) although she is at the just a bit too big re passenger numbers although in fairness she didn't feel crowded but I'm used to ships with 450 to 700 passengers.

I found the ship excursions to be on the expensive side so my $600 only covered 2 and as we like active excursions (read hiking and biking) I usually organise my own but we had to use up that SM credit. Choices were made based on the temperature in that area in August. Following a guide around ancient ruins or towns with all the standing involved was not for us as we like to keep moving so we did an open top bus tour in Rome (August is just too hot to walk around Rome and we have spent a week there previously). It was fine - I think there were about 30 of us, air conditioned coach in and out with guide and a double decker tour of Rome which took in all the sights/sites.

The second one was Volcanic Santorini which meant we didn't actually set foot on Santorini itself (I'm afraid I have read horror stories of the queuing to go up and down to Fira in the cable car and whilst I would have happily come down the donkey trail under normal circumstances, I ruptured my Achilles tendon earlier this year which is holding up well to some significant hiking bit I didn't want to risk slipping in a donkey deposit). That was very good with an excellent guide (Alex) - we crossed the Caldera on a wooden boat, hiked up and down the new volcanic island (fabulous views from the top) saw the sulphur mists and felt how hot the rock was where it came out. Then we sailed to another area for a swim where the sea mixes with the volcanic water. 

Everything else we organised ourselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Techno123 said:
11 hours ago, mhdesno2 said:

The Maitre D' after apologising, did say you must come back but then did not do anything to arrange that with me 😢

Completely understand your disappointment.

Remember the 'what is luxury' thread? Luxury is the maitre d' makes it happen. Oceania is you DIY.

If you go to reservations the next day they should confirm a revisit - or that's how it worked a few cruises ago for us after a challenging night at Polo. You may need to recite the events, I don't remember how automatic it was ("confirm" may not have been immediate?), but it did work for us. 

This does NOT make it right that you didn't get another night in Toscana. Perhaps understanding the process will make it easier to achieve desired results in future. 

• Like 1

That Santorini excursion sounds perfect! We'll have to try it next time we're there. Last year, we did the donkey route up and down due to the never ending line at the cable car, then we took a municipal bus to Oia. The weather in May was beautiful for the climb. I would just suggest that you don't wear white shoes for it 😉.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My nephew is currently on holiday in the area. He spent a few days in Santorini before moving on to Naxos for most of his stay. He reckons Santorini is the most beautiful place he knows  - which, as someone born and raised in Mallorca and visiting that island regularly, is saying something. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mhdesno2 said:

That Santorini excursion sounds perfect! We'll have to try it next time we're there. Last year, we did the donkey route up and down due to the never ending line at the cable car, then we took a municipal bus to Oia. The weather in May was beautiful for the climb. I would just suggest that you don't wear white shoes for it 😉.

It was very enjoyable and there was a breeze so the walk to the top was pleasant. There were a few passengers on the tender who had walked down from Fira - the delightful aroma of 'Eau de Donkey Poo' announced their arrival 😜😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harters said:

My nephew is currently on holiday in the area. He spent a few days in Santorini before moving on to Naxos for most of his stay. He reckons Santorini is the most beautiful place he knows  - which, as someone born and raised in Mallorca and visiting that island regularly, is saying something. 

I love Majorca (well the north and central sections). We know several people who have holidayed on Santorini and they all say how beautiful it is (until the cruise passengers arrive). On the day of our visit there were 11500 cruise passengers in port - on such a small island that is far too many. Yes the island needs tourism but this level of overcrowding will drive away the people who want to stay on the island. Perhaps they need to restrict it to one ship per day. (Or 2 small ones). We might have to go back to stay but check how many cruise ships are in port first 😂😂

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

Remember the 'what is luxury' thread? Luxury is the maitre d' makes it happen. Oceania is you DIY.

I think this is the issue and you have hit the nail on the head - on the luxury lines the guest's happiness is paramount and if something goes wrong, they make the effort to put it right. They don't expect the guest to DIY. I was happy to go with the flow but my husband has far less patience and also expected that same level of consideration he has seen and experienced on other lines.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

love Majorca (well the north and central sections)

The nephew and his father originate from Soller but have lived in the UK for many years. They were there this summer and said it was extremely busy with tourists - parking was all but impossible. There has been a demonstration there over too much tourism (as there was also in Palma). We've often holidayed on the island, staying in the Pollensa area. Possibly be back there later next year as a 4th holiday (three weeks in Tenerife in January, cruise on Vista in June and a week away in the UK somewhere)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harters said:

The nephew and his father originate from Soller

The last time we were there we stayed in Deia and hiked to Soller and back along the side of the Serra de Tramuntana. Pollensa is also a lovely area - one of my favourite holidays ever. But yes, the Spanish people are not happy. A lady gave an interview where she said the residents had to restrict their water consumption and yet the tourist hotels had no such restrictions. Things like that and those you mention plus Air BnBs taking all the affordable housing and it is no wonder they are not happy

3 hours ago, babysteps said:

If you go to reservations the next day they should confirm a revisit - or that's how it worked a few cruises ago for us after a challenging night at Polo. You may need to recite the events, I don't remember how automatic it was ("confirm" may not have been immediate?), but it did work for us. 

This does NOT make it right that you didn't get another night in Toscana. Perhaps understanding the process will make it easier to achieve desired results in future. 

We sailed on SS 3 times, had similar cases. I'm not sure it was handled much better on SS which is considered a luxury line.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

But yes, the Spanish people are not happy

In Pollensa, there are now restrictions on tourist property lets. They have to be licensed. I gather there are now very few licences for apartments, so making affordable accommodation available for locals. But no licence needed for the much more expensive villas out in the countryside

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We sailed on SS 3 times, had similar cases. I'm not sure it was handled much better on SS which is considered a luxury line.

That is sad to hear. Trying SS for the first time on the Nova next Feb. Not so keen on how much they have raised the price of La Dame and Kaiseki for the Nova - was hoping for (as Richard Gere put it in Pretty Woman) some major 'sucking up' considering the cost of the cruise plus the additional charge 😂😂

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

That is sad to hear. Trying SS for the first time on the Nova next Feb. Not so keen on how much they have raised the price of La Dame and Kaiseki for the Nova - was hoping for (as Richard Gere put it in Pretty Woman) some major 'sucking up' considering the cost of the cruise plus the additional charge 😂😂

Take a look:

We enjoyed our SS cruises very much, but to me the price difference is not worth it. The service might be slightly better on SS, but not a huge difference.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2024 at 6:23 PM, Techno123 said:

All that said it was an enjoyable cruise - not perfect, but if you travel expecting perfection you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Agree with overall assessment as we cruised the Vista and had some annoyances that I won’t bore everybody with but when it was all said and done we came to the conclusion that the cruise experience viewed holistically was very good and we booked on the Allura for next year with the expectation of another positive experience. 

Edited by IDL
  • Like 1