Guam - Santiago Sep. 8 - Oct. 17. Missives from The Andesite Line on Pursuit

Just now, frantic36 said:

Very cool photos and videos. The Papeete to Santiago is one itinerary I would like to do.

Awww thanks.

FYI rumors that in the future Seabourn may be skipping ports and doing a straight run for the repositioning. Lots of rumors these days.  Some may even come true.

• Like 1

Just now, PrincessTraveller said:

@highplanesdrifters love your photos and videos taken at Tahanea Atoll in French Polynesia 😍.  The water looks pristine!!!  So beautiful and even more so to pretty much have it to yourself.  What a special memory!

Thanks for sharing with all.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!  One for the memory bank

14 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Might I ask you to hijack and comment on any recent Paul Gauguin trips. Someone was grousing yesterday that after the Ponant purchase it became too "French First".  Thanks. 

I completely understand the comments. It's the same if any particular nationality is in an overwhelming majority aboard (including Australians!). It can very much influence your experience. In April we tried HAL - the right itinerary at the time to plug a hole in European trip. Experiencing sensorial overload from one nationality, we spent the first week in our cabins rocking in a foetal position as the push, shove, lack of manners and sense of entitlement was appalling. Skewed passenger profiles will always be an issue - even worse if you find yourself as extras on a charter.

FWIW - I've been reflecting back and can't believe our last trip was 2019 just before the Ponant takeover. We have previously sailed PG under Regent Seven Seas and Beachcomber. Even under Regent it could be very French. Under Beachcomber, if the passengers were predominantly French announcements would be made in that language first - it is French Polynesia. However, there are many US, Aust and NZ followers who are multiple repeat passengers and announcements would flip.

In the earlier days there could be issues with individuals and their smoking behaviour, but generally as the bans evolved internationally it was contained as per other ships. The beauty of PG is the fantastic open club at the back which means you sit under the stars for your evening drinks - and into the night. No need for structured entertainment and there usually was not any. An occasional guest performer of no note, but just a resident band and a troupe of young Polynesian women who provided craft sessions and dancing performances at ship events. The food was very good to exceptional, quite French with also strong local influences. We liked that fresh fish was taken on board most days from locals pulling along side or to the pier. Super fresh tuna.

It's not an expedition line, no zodiac but lagoon/beach accessible landing craft. Terrific beach swims at private motu, a day at their private island where the ship is off loaded for a BBQ, snorkeling with local tours can be organised or by ship excursions. Staff were always top notch. Predominantly Filipino most had worked the ship 20+ years and were each other's family and godparents to children. Unchanged itineraries meant everything ran as clockwork. A very happy atmosphere which allowed the focus to be on your needs. The itineraries are usually 7 days PPT return, with a 10 day to the Cooks every 6 weeks or so and a 14 day to the Marquesas each quarter. Over the years we have introduced many friends who have subsequently raved about its relaxing experience in a beautiful part of the world. One friend who has a sizeable business empire in a totally unrelated industry subsequently sent his managers on a trip to learn about service delivery.

We won't cruise Ponant generally. Have been to many of their info sessions but there is some block that holds us back, including the small suites. We would re-book Paul Gauguin despite the Ponant brand. We really hope Ponant hasn't messed with a great formula and kept the hard working staff. Sounds like your ship mates have unfortunately found that is not the case and had a lesser experience.

End of advertorial 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, BasandSyb said:

I completely understand the comments. It's the same if any particular nationality is in an overwhelming majority aboard (including Australians!). It can very much influence your experience. In April we tried HAL - the right itinerary at the time to plug a hole in European trip. Experiencing sensorial overload from one nationality, we spent the first week in our cabins rocking in a foetal position as the push, shove, lack of manners and sense of entitlement was appalling. Skewed passenger profiles will always be an issue - even worse if you find yourself as extras on a charter.

FWIW - I've been reflecting back and can't believe our last trip was 2019 just before the Ponant takeover. We have previously sailed PG under Regent Seven Seas and Beachcomber. Even under Regent it could be very French. Under Beachcomber, if the passengers were predominantly French announcements would be made in that language first - it is French Polynesia. However, there are many US, Aust and NZ followers who are multiple repeat passengers and announcements would flip.

In the earlier days there could be issues with individuals and their smoking behaviour, but generally as the bans evolved internationally it was contained as per other ships. The beauty of PG is the fantastic open club at the back which means you sit under the stars for your evening drinks - and into the night. No need for structured entertainment and there usually was not any. An occasional guest performer of no note, but just a resident band and a troupe of young Polynesian women who provided craft sessions and dancing performances at ship events. The food was very good to exceptional, quite French with also strong local influences. We liked that fresh fish was taken on board most days from locals pulling along side or to the pier. Super fresh tuna.

It's not an expedition line, no zodiac but lagoon/beach accessible landing craft. Terrific beach swims at private motu, a day at their private island where the ship is off loaded for a BBQ, snorkeling with local tours can be organised or by ship excursions. Staff were always top notch. Predominantly Filipino most had worked the ship 20+ years and were each other's family and godparents to children. Unchanged itineraries meant everything ran as clockwork. A very happy atmosphere which allowed the focus to be on your needs. The itineraries are usually 7 days PPT return, with a 10 day to the Cooks every 6 weeks or so and a 14 day to the Marquesas each quarter. Over the years we have introduced many friends who have subsequently raved about its relaxing experience in a beautiful part of the world. One friend who has a sizeable business empire in a totally unrelated industry subsequently sent his managers on a trip to learn about service delivery.

We won't cruise Ponant generally. Have been to many of their info sessions but there is some block that holds us back, including the small suites. We would re-book Paul Gauguin despite the Ponant brand. We really hope Ponant hasn't messed with a great formula and kept the hard working staff. Sounds like your ship mates have unfortunately found that is not the case and had a lesser experience.

End of advertorial 🙂

We were on Paul Gauguin for 10 nights in August 2023 and it was still very much as you described above. We loved it and would go again; although right now we are more interested in expeditions while we are still (barely) young enough to be able to do them. One unique experience on last year’s PG - a night snorkel in Moorea! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Awww thanks.

FYI rumors that in the future Seabourn may be skipping ports and doing a straight run for the repositioning. Lots of rumors these days.  Some may even come true.

Hope they don't start sailing a straight line...miss all kind of interesting places.    

We were aboard for Solomon Islands to Guam, and will be back in San Antonio for the round the horn via Antarctica sailing.  Are you staying on for that sailing?

Hope our favorite bar tender Candeleria will be aboard as she pretty much knows our couple of drinks.  Hope we can have Esther again as our suite attendant. 

Love all the great pics you share here. I need to do something with my gopro videos where I can start sharing them, but since we booked on Friday evening for the upcoming cruise, work, chores, and planning/packing seem to be the key features of the next couple of weeks...actually less than before we head down. 

• Like 1

@BasandSyb & @BioInfoLib

Thanks for taking the time to post PG info.  I had generally heard good things and was wondering if something had changed.  Perhaps a grumpy gus on board. I like having different nationalities.....as long as they are of the polite variety. 😃  We try Ponant in March, Japan and sub tropical islands.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rancher Dave said:

Hope they don't start sailing a straight line...miss all kind of interesting places.    

We were aboard for Solomon Islands to Guam, and will be back in San Antonio for the round the horn via Antarctica sailing.  Are you staying on for that sailing?

Hope our favorite bar tender Candeleria will be aboard as she pretty much knows our couple of drinks.  Hope we can have Esther again as our suite attendant. 

Love all the great pics you share here. I need to do something with my gopro videos where I can start sharing them, but since we booked on Friday evening for the upcoming cruise, work, chores, and planning/packing seem to be the key features of the next couple of weeks...actually less than before we head down. 

@Rancher Dave

Thanks for the kind words.  Sorry to miss you.   They are going to kick us off the ship in Santiago. 😅  We just got back from Antarctica/Cape to Cape on Silversea in March.  Killer trip.  There is a big change over of staff coming in Santiago so everyone will be fresh for you.  Food and service have been very good to excellent.  I suspect you will not suffer. Most importantly I think EL Juan and Claudio will be on through the first part of Antarctica.   You'll get the "A team" and a great Captian!

I too hope they stick with the interesting reposition  itineraries.

I download my Go Pro shots to the  phone gallery and edit from there. I've got a Samsung Ultra S23 which makes it incredibly easy.  When I get home it all goes to the Amazon cloud and plays on the TV for backround.

Wahooooo.....Antarctica here you come!

7 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@Rancher Dave

Thanks for the kind words.  Sorry to miss you.   They are going to kick us off the ship in Santiago. 😅  We just got back from Antarctica/Cape to Cape on Silversea in March.  Killer trip.  There is a big change over of staff coming in Santiago so everyone will be fresh for you.  Food and service have been very good to excellent.  I suspect you will not suffer. Most importantly I think EL Juan and Claudio will be on through the first part of Antarctica.   You'll get the "A team" and a great Captian!

I too hope they stick with the interesting reposition  itineraries.

I download my Go Pro shots to the  phone gallery and edit from there. I've got a Samsung Ultra S23 which makes it incredibly easy.  When I get home it all goes to the Amazon cloud and plays on the TV for backround.

Wahooooo.....Antarctica here you come!

Are some of the staffing changes earlier than some of them expected?   Hoping Peter remains on the expedition staff. We missed out having him dine with us and hope to do so this go around.  We had Rafa and a couple of the sub drivers, both of those went home in Guam. 

Love the idea of video in the cloud that can run on our main tv...thanks for sharing that thought!!!

highplanesdrifter -much as I have enjoyed all your wonderful posts and photos -  could you please get your spellcheck to get  'Captain'  right?  It is getting a bit irritating.  Sorry if I am being rude, but I am sure you do know how to spell it correctly, otherwise would not have mentioned it.

Just now, lincslady said:

highplanesdrifter -much as I have enjoyed all your wonderful posts and photos -  could you please get your spellcheck to get  'Captain'  right?  It is getting a bit irritating.  Sorry if I am being rude, but I am sure you do know how to spell it correctly, otherwise would not have mentioned it.

Ooops, sincerest of apologies.  Between editing on my phone, not being able to see without cheaters, hitting send without checking because I'm  rushing to cocktail hour, and spellchecker not spellchecking - I've most likely offended more than you.  Mea Culpa. 

Captain Captain Captain Captain 

Take that spellcheck!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Rancher Dave said:

Are some of the staffing changes earlier than some of them expected?   Hoping Peter remains on the expedition staff. We missed out having him dine with us and hope to do so this go around.  We had Rafa and a couple of the sub drivers, both of those went home in Guam. 

Love the idea of video in the cloud that can run on our main tv...thanks for sharing that thought!!!

I don't think there are any early departures.  I'll try and get a sense of who is staying. I have friends joining for the Christmas leg.

• Like 2

It's the last of four sea days. Pitcairn tomorrow, always iffy.  Will we land or just do laps around the island? 😄

Sunny with two to three meter swells and a lot of green gills around the ship. Oh my, what will they do when it gets rough?

It's been such a strange second leg.  The outdoor decks are often empty.  Lunch at the Collonade is worse than a Mayfly hatch.

Pool at 3:30pm

20241001_160301.thumb.jpg.18bab8cf86dba7e1bc7299b78f6ffc9d.jpg

Seven aft, 11a.m.

IMG-20241003-WA0007.thumb.jpg.a0f80cc5fbca4c2fe6d7e076aa565bff.jpg

Even the Bow lounge is rarely occupied by guests.  Here's some expedition staff planning the next show. Marcel loaded up on fabric in Papeete. Patrick is working on his costume.  Can't wait. 

20241001_123805.thumb.jpg.1414c5ebd9929a69c24d0aa0f7dc2e65.jpg

• Like 1

I hate spelchekers.  And computrs that think thy are smatter than you,

Good luck at Pitcairn tomorrow.  Zodiacs are a tough bunch. 

Edited by Fletcher
  • Haha 7

Just now, Fletcher said:

I hate spelchekers.  And computrs that think thy are smatter than you,

Good luck at Pitcairn tomorrow.  Zodiacs are a tough bunch. 

In 7th grade I won the spelling contest for 12 straight weeks until Becky what's her face beat me. I revealed that she had mistakes and I was actually once again the winner.  The teacher chastised me after class for not letting Becky win.  My spelling has gone downhill ever since.😅

My spelling is so bad that even spellcheck can't figure it out sometimes. 

@lincslady for you, I'll try harder.😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Ooops, sincerest of apologies.

No need to apologize, I am fully enjoying all your posts (whether spelled correctly or not). We all knew of whom you were speaking.  Not sure why this is an irritation as we all know how auto spell check can alter our spelling or quick typing can get in our way.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Even the Bow lounge is rarely occupied by guests.  Here's some expedition staff planning the next show. Marcel loaded up on fabric in Papeete. Patrick is working on his costume.  Can't wait. 

wife and I were talking about Marcel as we ate dinner tonight. Think he will be on our invite list for dinner one of the nights. 

JIC I plan to bring a box of transderm scop with me. Last time I used any was when working on a 110' boat in GOM during a hurricane.   There were people not well in 2m in South Pacific Tropical areas. 

• Like 1