Some Antarctica Clothing and Silver Cloud Expedition Questions

TourTripper

I'm leaving on Nov 28 on the Silver Cloud Expedition.  Has anyone cruised that ship in the Antarctic..  As its an older ship I'm a little concerned about lack of stabilizers and how it handles in rough Drake Passage Seas.  I'll be wearing a scopolamine patch, but sill concerned about getting seasick.

Also some clothing  questions, and take in consideration that I live in Florida and easily get cold

I'm thinking a base  and fleece lined hiking/snow pants for the zodiac and possible hikes. 

does that make sense?

For a hat, it seems most people in pictures have a beanie... is that just good days? 

How heavy do your gloves need to be?

I'd appreciate any other advice.  I've been on a shopping spree online, but with little cold weather experience I feel like I'm just guessing.

thanks in advance

If you search this site you will find lots of advice about Antarctica.

We were on the Cloud 2 years ago and the stabilizers were ok. When the sea is rough you will feel the motion on any ship.

You can get soaked in the zodiacs. So you need waterproof pants, not snow pants. You also need waterproof gloves.

Bring both light waterproof gloves and heavier "ski" gloves.

It isn't that cold in Antarctica. We were ok with a long underwear, plus either smartwool pants or athletic pants depending on the weather, topped by very thin waterproof pants.

The jackets they provide are very warm, and the rental boots are fine. Bring thicker socks for the boots.

Bring a gaiter for your neck on the cold days, and a wool beanie hat.

Also bring walking sticks,

Don't forget sunglasses and sunscreen.

And finally, bring slip on waterproof sandals to wear from your suite to the boot room. The floor in the boot room gets quite wet. Not thongs, they don't work with thick socks.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, TourTripper said:

I'm leaving on Nov 28 on the Silver Cloud Expedition.  Has anyone cruised that ship in the Antarctic..  As its an older ship I'm a little concerned about lack of stabilizers and how it handles in rough Drake Passage Seas.  I'll be wearing a scopolamine patch, but sill concerned about getting seasick.

Also some clothing  questions, and take in consideration that I live in Florida and easily get cold

I'm thinking a base  and fleece lined hiking/snow pants for the zodiac and possible hikes. 

does that make sense?

For a hat, it seems most people in pictures have a beanie... is that just good days? 

How heavy do your gloves need to be?

I'd appreciate any other advice.  I've been on a shopping spree online, but with little cold weather experience I feel like I'm just guessing.

thanks in advance

As someone from a warm climate, I feel your angst!  I was on Silver Wind in December, but we encountered the Drake Lake.  I don't get sea sick anyway. 

Beanie is definitely necessary.  Ones with ear covers can be useful at times.  A gaitor is extremely useful.  If using ski pants, make sure they are totally waterproof.  I wore thermal leggings under track pants (fleece pants) and then my waterproofs over that.  Just rainbird pants.  I also wore a long sleeved thermal under a thin merino wool jumper (pullover).  Then the Silversea parka.  You might prefer the thermal layer and a fleece pullover.  One pair of thick socks were fine under the boots, but some people liked a thin pair of socks under the thick ones.  I also took a cheap pair of non-brand "Crocs" for the mudroom.  So easy to slip into.  I had cashmere gloves that I wore under leather gloves and never felt cold at all.  Many wore ski gloves.  They didn't have to be waterproof as you could put your hands in your pockets.

On the ship, long sleeve shirts over a cami/singlet did the job.  I always carried my puffer jacket in case we headed outside to view whales or icebergs.

Edited by Port Power

4 minutes ago, Hign n Dry said:

PP

Is a puffer jacket included with Parker?

Ta

The Silversea parka is double layered.  The internal layer is like a puffer jacket, the external is the waterproof and windproof layer.  For Antarctica, I think it best to leave the two layers zipped together ready for each day's outings.  Along with many other passengers, I took a separate light weight puffer jacket or ski jacket to grab for going out on deck at a moment's notice.

• Like 1

The parka they provide is very warm, but you won't have it until you are actually onboard, so you will need some other sort of jacket until then.  Layering is key.  The outer pants definitely need to be waterproof.  And yes, a beanie sort of hat is needed or at least was for me.  Gloves need to be waterproof as well.

We didn't think it was rough at all going through the Drake, but of course, no one can predict for sure.  We have been in way worse seas in the North Atlantic between Greenland and Svalbard. 

3 hours ago, Hign n Dry said:

We did the peninsular in 2018 with Seabourn and they provided a Puffer as Well as the Parker.

PP did I read that you did Cape to Cape earlier this year on the Wind? 

No, I did Silver Wind Alaska, Falklands and South Georgia in December/ January. IMHO, I don’t think it’s worth going down there if you don’t include South Georgia.   @highplanesdrifters did the Cape to Cape.

• Like 1

thank you all... sorry I didn't check out this site before; and now I'm sorry I'll miss South Georgia.

Regarding the pants, I've bought a lightweight and mid weight base layer, and I ordered a fleece lined Hiking pants, which I'll top with waterproof pants ( either rent or buy).  I'm wondering if a about a different mid level.  Based on some of  comments  I'm not sure about the fleece lined pants? is that too much?

I'm also taking a pair of sketcher "go walk"  pants for on the ship, or a possible base layer.  Does that sound right?  Trying hard not to overpack. 

thank you all again.

4 hours ago, TourTripper said:

thank you all... sorry I didn't check out this site before; and now I'm sorry I'll miss South Georgia.

Regarding the pants, I've bought a lightweight and mid weight base layer, and I ordered a fleece lined Hiking pants, which I'll top with waterproof pants ( either rent or buy).  I'm wondering if a about a different mid level.  Based on some of  comments  I'm not sure about the fleece lined pants? is that too much?

I'm also taking a pair of sketcher "go walk"  pants for on the ship, or a possible base layer.  Does that sound right?  Trying hard not to overpack. 

thank you all again.

Only you know if you particularly feel the cold. I did have one pair of fleece lined pants, but never wore them.  Track pants were so much easier for the same result.

Around the ship you don’t need thermals.  Jeans or slacks are fine, even thick-fabric pants, with lightweight long sleeved tops.  You can always add on a gilet, pullover or cardigan, etc, or a cami or t-shirt underneath.  Even a normal button through shirt and a jacket.

On the Cape to Cape on the Cloud, the sea's motion wasn't bad most of the time. A storm is a storm, though, and you might encounter one. 

I like to wear a mid-weight base layer (e.g. Patagonia light fleece long johns or leggings) under my waterproof rain pants. Too many layers and I feel overstuffed. I'd usually wear a long-sleeved capilene T or quarter-zip with the double-layer Silversea parka. A gaiter or balaclava to protect your face can be hugely valuable.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Port Power said:

No, I did Silver Wind Alaska, Falklands and South Georgia in December/ January. IMHO, I don’t think it’s worth going down there if you don’t include South Georgia.   @highplanesdrifters did the Cape to Cape.

@Port Power is right!  Have to do South Georgia.  Next time I'll be looking for a trip that does just South Georgia with South Sandwich. 

Cape to cape with @FauxNom was mind blowing, even for the expedition team. But we had perfect weather. Barely more than a few meter swell the entire trip.

Agree on clothes. Antarctica is not terribly cold. I use just a thermal layer under rain pants. Sometimes skip the puffer under the outer.  Be prepared for snow squalls with hat, gloves,  and neck gator.  Actually I just wear earmuffs and put the hood up if one hits. 

Found these gloves to be perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXTYWQ2V?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

You'll want something like this for your phone:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CG9BBC3F?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Port Power said:

Wonderful, thank you. We’re doing Cape to Cape in March 2025. Committed irrespective of the Avian Coughs n Cold’s. Just a few questions on kit which I’ll pose to @highplanesdriftersif they don’t mind. Thanks again PP.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hign n Dry said:

@highplanesdrifters As I’ve said above where doing Cape to Cape in March 2025. Are wellingtons really needed or just a good pair of waterproof hikers? Appreciate your advice.

Assuming you're doing Falklands and South Georgia, YES, you will need wellies. Unless you can get expedition staff to carry you from the zodiac to shore. 🤣 which I've seen happen.  We bought Bogs for our first trip down there, but rented last time.  Not worth the hassle of hauling for $75. They are surprisingly comphy to tromp around in. I bring Dr. Scholl inserts for arch support.  How old does that sound! Eek.

I did a live report, just go back to February. Might be helpful. Yell if you have any more questions. 

@FauxNom suffered through the trip with us.  I agree, quarter zip thermal top works best for me.

You're going to have an awesome time. Might be our favorite trip to date.  

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Assuming you're doing Falklands and South Georgia, YES, you will need wellies. Unless you can get expedition staff to carry you from the zodiac to shore. 🤣 which I've seen happen.  We bought Bogs for our first trip down there, but rented last time.  Not worth the hassle of hauling for $75. They are surprisingly comphy to tromp around in. I bring Dr. Scholl inserts for arch support.  How old does that sound! Eek.

I did a live report, just go back to February. Might be helpful. Yell if you have any more questions. 

@FauxNom suffered through the trip with us.  I agree, quarter zip thermal top works best for me.

You're going to have an awesome time. Might be our favorite trip to date.  

Thank you @highplanesdrifters appreciated, just for clarification did you wear your wellies on all walks? South Georgia, Tristan, Nightingale, Gough? Just had a squizz at the boot rental $148.00 Oz Dollars, it is what it is I guess.

Really appreciate the advice.

• Like 1

C2C was my favorite cruise, hands down. I'm so pleased to know you're going! 

I always bring my own boots and wore them on all the Falklands/South Georgia walks because we hat wet landings. Tristan was sunny and warm, with a dock, so I just wore sturdy walking shoes that day. We didn't actually get off the zodiacs on Gough and Nightingale because of guarding seals! But the boots are handy in the Zodiacs in case of splashes and waves.

• Like 2

We had no problems packing Muck/Bogs boots for our Antarctica Cloud trip. We both have 30" REI rolling duffels (which we love) and they fit fine, especially when stuffed with socks, underwear, etc. When buying them is cheaper than renting, and to be absolutely certain that we had boots that fit, buying them seemed to make more sense to us, especially since we'll be using them again next year on a SSea cruise that this time will include Falklands/South Georgia.

Edited by taxatty
  • Like 1

you will need waterproof boots for all wet landings, which is pretty much every landing on this trip.  

As far as the fleece lined pants, I took a pair and wore them under my waterproof pants for the zodiac tours.  You can get really cold then as you aren't moving around and are pretty much sitting on a rubber platter in a bowl of ice water.   I almost froze to death on a zodiac trip to look at icebergs in Greenland once, and have no desire to repeat that experience.  When you are on land, up and moving around, it generally doesn't feel that cold unless the wind is really blowing. 

• Like 1

I did the Antarctica/South Georgia/Falklands trip about a year and a half ago. I agree that it was not as cold as I expected. Usually wore a smart wool top and bottom with some sweats on top, then rain pants and parka. Often wore only soft cotton gloves or nothing while hiking. But needed the warm, waterproof gloves and an extra layer when we did zodiac only rides (gets much colder and wetter just sitting in the Zodiac!)

In terms of Seasick, I got very sick on this cruise and ended up visiting the ship doctor 3 times for shots!  I have tried pretty much everything (pills, patches, prescription, non-prescription, etc). If you tend towards seasickness, you might want to look into a Relief Band type option -- it's an electronic version of the seabands you see many wearing. So far, it has helped more than any other remedy (I bought them after the Antarctica trip!)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hign n Dry said:

Thank you @highplanesdrifters appreciated, just for clarification did you wear your wellies on all walks? South Georgia, Tristan, Nightingale, Gough? Just had a squizz at the boot rental $148.00 Oz Dollars, it is what it is I guess.

Really appreciate the advice.

Crikey, $148..... that's bootflation!

Like @FauxNom said landings are rare on the Tristans.  VERY rare, including Tristan itself. Even the zodiac cruises are iffy. Our first time at inaccessible  the captain did  laps around the island...then he went the other way. 🤣 Staff threw in impromptu party around the pool. Expedition team sang and danced.  A good time was had by all.  Fyi, Sometime even  the supply ships are held up for days offshore. Tristan is one of the most interesting populated places I've ever been too.

As for the cold tush on Zodiacs, I bought thermal shorts for a little extra warmth and less bulk.  Also think about what group you are in. First group, very cold rubber. As the day goes on the sun and someone else's tush heats the zodiacs up. Think of that first group as the toilet warming slaves in Ephesus. Perhaps treat them a little nicer. Buy em a drink in the Obs lounge.

Another reminder, as you near Africa it's going to get a lot warmer.  Lazy pool days aplenty.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2024 at 8:27 PM, Hign n Dry said:

Wonderful, thank you. We’re doing Cape to Cape in March 2025. Committed irrespective of the Avian Coughs n Cold’s. Just a few questions on kit which I’ll pose to @highplanesdriftersif they don’t mind. Thanks again PP.

We’ll be on the same cruise - looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Hi from Vancouver. Outdoors gear above the minimal functional standard and getting into pricy: my source is rei.com, lots of stores in USA too.  

If  you truly must have a label showing you and your wallet are both most discerning, arcteryx.com.  Pity, though, equipment reviews don’t always rate them as highly as one might think. 

good luck!!!

Thanks!  I've been shopping REI.  I've gotten a heavy merino base, which everyone says is too much, but I'd rather have it since I get cold so easily; and a light ( 185) merino base.  I'm looking at their fleece pants, hoping they might go on sale.  Based on all this wonderful advice, I've ordered a merino wool gaiter and waterproof glove.  I'm renting the boot,.  I have waterproof rain pants, or may rent theirs.   I went thru my closet and found a few fleece tops and turtlenecks  that work... after all, its a short cruise, 4 days travel ( back and forth across the Drake) and 4 days in Antarctica.  Time didn't permit the addition of the Falklands.  Plus I'm going as a single,... ... which makes it quite pricey.

thanks again.  This group is a wealth of knowledge and experience!  

• Like 1