Is a Princess W.C. really that bad?

panda1960

I see a lot of negative comments for Princess world cruises.  Are they really that bad?  Has anyone went on one in the last few years and enjoyed it.  DH and I are booked on the Coral Princess out of Fort Lauderdale for 2026.  We like the combination of the price and itinerary.  We've looked at other W.C's but the itineraries didn't suit us or they were out of our budget.  It's hard to look forward to a cruise that gets so many bad comments and reviews.  I'm hoping to hear from some cruisers that actually enjoyed there Princess W.C.  Thanks:)

Paging @Heidi13  He has detailed information posted on his most recent - and final - experience with a Princess WC.  The search function isn't working for me to find a couple of links for you, but if he sees this, I'm sure he'll either provide some details here or steer you to one of his detailed posts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, panda1960 said:

I see a lot of negative comments for Princess world cruises.  Are they really that bad?  Has anyone went on one in the last few years and enjoyed it.  DH and I are booked on the Coral Princess out of Fort Lauderdale for 2026.  We like the combination of the price and itinerary.  We've looked at other W.C's but the itineraries didn't suit us or they were out of our budget.  It's hard to look forward to a cruise that gets so many bad comments and reviews.  I'm hoping to hear from some cruisers that actually enjoyed there Princess W.C.  Thanks:)

Thanks to @aungrl for paging me on this one.

For some perspective, I worked for P&O/Princess for 7 years as a Navigator and then our son also worked for them for 10 years. We also cruised extensively with them, so my experience is 1975 - 2015, a total of 40 years. I met my wife of 44 yrs on a P&O ship, so she also has extensive experience with them.

We noted a gradual reduction in quality from the late 90's, but our 2015 WC R/T Sydney aboard Sea Princess was our final cruise with them. The standards dropped below our minimum expectations and customer service post cruise was a joke.

A World Cruise, for many pax  is a once in a lifetime experience for many cruisers, sadly this wasn't the case. In Sydney, the had a welcome World Cruisers screen by the pool, but since only about 25% of the pax were aboard for the entire voyage, it wasn't a World Cruise. In addition to the 4 segments, to fill the ship they added Sydney to Melbourne (2 nights), Sydney to Freemantle and Melbourne to Freemantle. If I remember correctly, the Sydney to Melbourne had about the same number of pax as the World Cruisers.

The first acceptance of it being a World Cruise was on departure Freemantle, where more World Cruisers joined the ship. Yes, the post Sydney to Sydney World Cruise went to Freemantle, so they added a 2nd World Cruise. However, that was the only recognition of it being a World Cruise, as from that point until the day before Sydney, it was multiple segments. At the end of each segment 75% of the pax disembarked, so the cruise line had to focus on the majority. Us World Cruisers were definitely the minority, as we were on a floating bus around the World.

While the dining experience and food is highly subjective, we had some significant issues. On departure Sydney, we had a sharing table of 8. Every one got on well, then about 4 nights into the cruise we noted the table set for 10, which was really tight. Apparently, a couple originally assigned to our table didn't show, so they were replaced. We were not happy, refusing to spend 100 nights cramped at the table. I discussed it with our Asst Hd Waiter, who advised it was the direction of the Maitre'D. I requested the Maitre'D come to our table to discuss, as we were the first table in the dining room. He returned stating the Maitre'D advised if I wan;ed to speak with him, I would have to go to him. My response was, "Hell will freeze over", but I will pass my experience shoreside. The next evening, we agreed to arrive early and finding the table set for 10, removed 2 of the settings and chairs, forcing the Maitre'D to back down,

The quality of the victuals is highly dependent on the Corporate purchasing, but the onboard galley staff can assist in making poorer cuts more palatable. Unfortunately, the Executive Chef was poor, being one of the first off the ship in every port he wasn't IMP. I recall one evening with lamb chops that almost every plate in our vicinity was returned. Chainsaws were required to cut them. Most meals were served, tepid, at best.

Post cruise, we waited in Sydney for a flight home for a couple of days, so we provided detailed feedback, both pros and cons, on the cruise. Shortly after returning home, we received a call from customer service thanking us for our balanced feedback and wanting to discuss the issues we raised. At the conclusion of the call, he mentioned that he could provide US $100 in compensation for our poor experience. My reply was I hadn't considered compensation, but since he brought it up, I consider it insulting. Basically, it went to management and we couldn't agree, which is consistent with the experience of other pax.

If sailing from L/A. I believe you are on Coral Princess, which was saved by public opinion from the Carnivalisation of adding extra cabins, as per Isalnd Princess.

BTW - we sailed both Island & Coral Princess many times and with Diamond/Sapphire were our favourite Princess ships. Diamond/Sapphire are better built (Japan) than Island/Coral (France), but still not bad ships.

Having also completed a Viking World Cruise, I suggest comparing the total cost of a World Cruise, not just the base fare. We completed a 2015 Princess WC and then a 2020 Viking WC. The Viking WC base fare was about double the Princess fare. However, once we returned home the daily cost was identical.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for replying and also for your thorough review.  At this time I think we will stay booked with Princess being we have another year to decide if we want to cancel or not.  This itinerary is very attractive to us compared to some of the other world cruises.  I guess if we go with low expectations maybe (fingers crossed) we will be pleasantly surprised.  After posting this topic I did find a blog from a couple from Tampa that seemed like they enjoyed their 2023 world cruise on the Island Princess.  Just out of curiosity how was it that your Viking cruise daily cost was identical when it started out double the price?  

1 hour ago, panda1960 said:

Thanks so much for replying and also for your thorough review.  At this time I think we will stay booked with Princess being we have another year to decide if we want to cancel or not.  This itinerary is very attractive to us compared to some of the other world cruises.  I guess if we go with low expectations maybe (fingers crossed) we will be pleasantly surprised.  After posting this topic I did find a blog from a couple from Tampa that seemed like they enjoyed their 2023 world cruise on the Island Princess.  Just out of curiosity how was it that your Viking cruise daily cost was identical when it started out double the price?  

I'm sure Heidi13 will be back with additional detail, but the basic answer is that so much is included in the Viking fare that you would have to pay for separately on Princess that it netted out to a similar per day cost.

• Like 2

I can’t comment on a Princess WC as I have only done 2 on HAL.

I have disagreed with Heidi13 in the past about the per diem cost being the same on Viking and Princess. IMO, if you drink a lot, do many over priced cruise line shore excursions, have to fly biz or 1st class internationally, then perhaps it’s close. If you don’t need/want these things, you can save money by going with a mid tier ship.

However, we flew to FLL in coach so our flights were quite inexpensive. My DH drinks alcohol, but I don’t. I only drink water - no sodas, juices, coffee…

Therefore our bar bill was quite low. He brought about 18 bottles of wine onboard (paying corkage for his favorite brands) and bought a wine package while onboard to supplement it. Sometimes he had cocktails before or after dinner too. 

We abhor cruise line shore excursions. They are overpriced and you are forced into buses with large groups. Bathroom stops are an ordeal as you have to wait in line with an entire bus load of people. Meals are slow since there are so many people. We find excellent local guides for a fraction of the cruise line prices. We have quick paced tours with knowledgeable, personal guides. IMO so much better and so much cheaper. 

Our total was substantially less than the price for Viking. I do believe Viking has a higher quality product than HAL - and smaller, more intimate ships. However I just wasn’t willing to pay for all the extras that I wasn’t going to use. YMMV.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your replies.  I appreciate hearing about all experiences good or bad but I do agree that expectations and personal preferences have a lot to do with individual experiences.  I am not expecting high quality food on a  Princess cruise.  I have 20 plus cruises on all the major budget cruise lines like Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity etc.  I have had very good and very bad meals on all of them.  I usually can find something I like.  I was hoping my original post would include some positive experiences on a Princess W.C.  I have already read many negative comments and reviews prior to posting this topic.  If we don't take this Princess cruise we probably won't be going on a W.C because the price would be over our budget or what we are willing to pay.  So with that said are we better off going and making the best of what Princess has to offer, or should we skip the experience of a world cruise?   

One of the most important aspects for DH and I is that on a world cruise you get to see so many countries without having to travel to each one individually.  No packing and unpacking.  No lugging all your luggage on the trains and planes.  No having to check in and out of hotels etc.  I don't like to fly and haven't in  over 20 years so being able to do a RT world cruise out of Fort Lauderdale is a dream come true in itself.  We are from Michigan and would drive to the port.  We have several options for parking long term.   We know of a guy that charges 30.00 a month to park on his property.  The only problem is he is located in Sebastian area so we would have to have transportation to and from the port.  Or we could just shell out the 10.00 per day fee to park long term near the port.  Way more expensive but much more convenient.  

16 hours ago, panda1960 said:

As with many things these days it is imperative to review more than the basic cost, as with mass market cruise lines and also flights, the total costs can quickly add up. For perspective, we booked similar cabins on both ships, a midships balcony on a lower deck. The Princess cabin was considerably smaller than the Viking Cabin.

The total daily cost has many variables depending on your flight and cruising preferences. For us, we don't fly cattle class any more, only first or business. Viking included Business Class flights in the base fare and also transfers to/from the airport. If you are Americans and cruising to/from US ports, this may not be a huge cost, but for us, flights to L/A and then back from LHR are expensive.

Viking also include the cost of procuring Visas, which saves considerable time and expense. Depending on the itinerary, you could be applying at multiple embassies/consulates for Visas. With Viking, you complete a form, mail your passport to their vendor, who acquire all Visas, and return your passport in 6 - 8 weeks. I note more Visas are becoming electronic, so less requirement to visit embassies. The Viking Visas would have cost us over CAN $1,000.

Another pre-cruise benefit is luggage shipping. Viking ship 1 bag per person from home directly to the vessel. Since World Cruises are longer, we generally take more baggage, so this is a huge benefit, as we had 2 less bags to lug to the ship.

The base fare also included all port fees and taxes.

Viking guarantee each pax a shore-excursion in each port. In most ports, you have no choice, as the free shore-ex is identified as "Included". In a few ports, they provide 2 options, of which you can select 1 of them. The included tour is generally the basic tour in each port - a walking or bus tour, providing an overview of the area. However, in Komodo Island, the 2 hr walk around the island was the included tour and in Safaga, it was a 10 - 11 hr tour to Luxor. Viking also offer additional shore-ex options at additional cost, but provide extensive On-Board Credits. On the 2023 Viking WC, if memory is correct, we had CAN $11,000 OBC. The OBC covered the costs of the optional tours we booked.

Once onboard the vessel, you have minimal, if any additional costs, on the Viking ship. You can incur costs in the shops, spas, cooking classes and some specialty fitness programs. The list of included services on Viking is extensive:

- internet

- both specialty restaurants

- all alcoholic drinks (up to US $15), which include everything except specialty bubbly, whisky, brandy, etc

- all soft drinks

- all tea/coffee, including specialty teas/coffee

- filtered water (clear or sparkling) supplied to cabin twice per day

- unlimited bottles of water given out at gangway in each port

- laundry - washers, driers and even soap liquid provided

- no additional cost items on any menu

- no gratuities

- complimentary unlimited access to the Nordic spa

- ability to bring aboard unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. They will even serve your own wine brought aboard the vessel in the dining rooms/bars. No corkage fees.

At the end of the Viking cruise we had no bill, whereas with Princess you settled the account at the end of each segment.

The included flights, visa fees, luggage shipping and extensive OBC make up a good portion of the price delta. The onboard costs are entirely dependent on what you enjoy on a mass market cruise line.

Many will enjoy a mass market WC and complete it at less overall cost than a Viking or similar premium/luxury brand, but my wife and I are at the stage in life where we would rather really enjoy 1 cruise than skimp to afford multiple cruises. An example being flights, no way we will suffer cattle class even for 8 hours.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, panda1960 said:

Thank you both for your replies.  I appreciate hearing about all experiences good or bad but I do agree that expectations and personal preferences have a lot to do with individual experiences.  I am not expecting high quality food on a  Princess cruise.  I have 20 plus cruises on all the major budget cruise lines like Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity etc.  I have had very good and very bad meals on all of them.  I usually can find something I like.  I was hoping my original post would include some positive experiences on a Princess W.C.  I have already read many negative comments and reviews prior to posting this topic.  If we don't take this Princess cruise we probably won't be going on a W.C because the price would be over our budget or what we are willing to pay.  So with that said are we better off going and making the best of what Princess has to offer, or should we skip the experience of a world cruise?   

@panda1960 Here is a link to a blog from a couple who did the Princess WC in 2018 (https://roundtheworldwriter.blogspot.com/2018/01/day-1-embarkation.html) ... from what I remember, they got a great deal on the price ... and as far as I remember, they enjoyed it. They have since done one Viking WC ... and have another WC booked (can't remember with which cruise line). Anyway, she has written about both; you can access them from the archives.

Edited by 2552phxcrzr

4 hours ago, panda1960 said:

One of the most important aspects for DH and I is that on a world cruise you get to see so many countries without having to travel to each one individually.  No packing and unpacking.  No lugging all your luggage on the trains and planes.  No having to check in and out of hotels etc.  I don't like to fly and haven't in  over 20 years so being able to do a RT world cruise out of Fort Lauderdale is a dream come true in itself.  We are from Michigan and would drive to the port.  We have several options for parking long term.   We know of a guy that charges 30.00 a month to park on his property.  The only problem is he is located in Sebastian area so we would have to have transportation to and from the port.  Or we could just shell out the 10.00 per day fee to park long term near the port.  Way more expensive but much more convenient.  

@panda1960 I think the cruise itinerary looks wonderful! Admittedly I have never been on a world cruise, but it is my dream as well. I would absolutely still go on it regardless of unfavorable prior reviews. People find it easier to complain than to compliment, and you might regret missing out on the chance to do this fantastic voyage. 

We are from Michigan as well! Just a quick suggestion which you have probably already thought of, but just in case. Maybe rent a car for a one-way trip from your location to FLL? You could drop it off at the FLL airport and take a quick taxi to the cruise terminal (it's only a few miles). That might work out to be more convenient than worrying about your parked car on someone's property. Just a thought! 

Good luck and enjoy your trip and post pics!!

Maureen

On 9/4/2024 at 9:02 PM, Heidi13 said:

He returned stating the Maitre'D advised if I wan;ed to speak with him, I would have to go to him. My response was, "Hell will freeze over", but I will pass my experience shoreside. The next evening, we agreed to arrive early and finding the table set for 10, removed 2 of the settings and chairs, forcing the Maitre'D to back down,

'''

Just reading that ONE para, made me realize the different way and sensitivity with which we approach our cruising as compared to you. We have only done a few Viking River cruises but many WCs on Princess. We fly cattle class.

1 hour ago, sultan_sfo said:

Just reading that ONE para, made me realize the different way and sensitivity with which we approach our cruising as compared to you. We have only done a few Viking River cruises but many WCs on Princess. We fly cattle class.

I take it if you have done many W.C on Princess you must have enjoyed them.  I was hoping to hear from someone with some positive views.  I take the good with the bad.  I know everything isn't going to be to my liking.  

3 hours ago, mofrances said:

@panda1960 I think the cruise itinerary looks wonderful! Admittedly I have never been on a world cruise, but it is my dream as well. I would absolutely still go on it regardless of unfavorable prior reviews. People find it easier to complain than to compliment, and you might regret missing out on the chance to do this fantastic voyage. 

We are from Michigan as well! Just a quick suggestion which you have probably already thought of, but just in case. Maybe rent a car for a one-way trip from your location to FLL? You could drop it off at the FLL airport and take a quick taxi to the cruise terminal (it's only a few miles). That might work out to be more convenient than worrying about your parked car on someone's property. Just a thought! 

Good luck and enjoy your trip and post pics!!

Maureen

Thank you Maureen:)  I'll have to look into a rental car from MI to FL.  I imagine it would be pretty expensive but you never know.  I was considering a rental car to travel from Sebastian to Fort Lauderdale.  We know a lot of people that store their rv or boat with the guy who rents space on his property.  My husband has even checked it out before and felt it would be perfectly safe leaving a car or even an rv with him.  He's been doing this for 20+years.  Normally we stay in Florida for the winter in our rv (trailer it back and forth from Mi) but like yourself a W.C has always been a dream of mine.  So in 2026 we are hoping to make it a reality.  Hopefully you will be able to do the same some day:)  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, panda1960 said:

I take it if you have done many W.C on Princess you must have enjoyed them.  I was hoping to hear from someone with some positive views.  I take the good with the bad.  I know everything isn't going to be to my liking.  

Yes -- we were on WCs on the old Pacific Princess and also 2023 & 2024 WCs on Island P.

Many of the negative reviews are from posters who are upset with a few isolated incidents. In 2024WC, we know some were very upset because Suez had to be replaced by Africa. But the itinerary was revised in a way that retained most of the European ports. Be prepared with a plan in case you are informed that Coral 2026 WC may need an itinerary change.

Just go with a positive attitude. Get to know the crew and officers -- senior officers and the Captain will be visible. Engage them. Everyone will have some off-days.

The link below is from a recent cruiser on Island Princess. Many of the opinions are relevant for the WC as well.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3016729-live-from-the-land-of-princess/

ENJOY -- WC is a very special journey.

Edited by sultan_sfo

IMHO, if your options are a WC with Princess or none at all, I would say go on the WC! We have never been on a WC yet, but it's getting near. We've been on many cruises on different lines. We are half-glass-full people and take every little mishap - and they happen on all of them -- with a positive attitude. We've never been on a bad cruise. If you're like us, I'm sure you will have a great time.  🙂

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sultan_sfo said:

Yes -- we were on WCs on the old Pacific Princess and also 2023 & 2024 WCs on Island P.

Many of the negative reviews are from posters who are upset with a few isolated incidents. In 2024WC, we know some were very upset because Suez had to be replaced by Africa. But the itinerary was revised in a way that retained most of the European ports. Be prepared with a plan in case you are informed that Coral 2026 WC may need an itinerary change.

Just go with a positive attitude. Get to know the crew and officers -- senior officers and the Captain will be visible. Engage them. Everyone will have some off-days.

The link below is from a recent cruiser on Island Princess. Many of the opinions are relevant for the WC as well.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3016729-live-from-the-land-of-princess/

ENJOY -- WC is a very special journey.

Thank you for your reply and good advice:)    Also thanks for the link.  A positive attitude goes a long way no matter where you are or what your doing.  I guess we can always find negative if we look for it.  As long as DH and I stay healthy and safe I will make the most of the cruise and enjoy it to the fullest.  With realistic expectations:)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sultan_sfo said:

Yes, we all have different standards and expectations of what we expect from a cruise line.

With respect to the Maitre'D refusing to come to the table, during the 7 years I worked for P&O/Princess, this would NEVER have been an acceptable response. I can't imagine any crew member, especially a senior supervisor responding to a pax, "If you want to talk to me you need to come see me."

You may find that acceptable, personally I do not. In my Princess days, they would be down the gangway with their bags following quickly.

Our son also worked for Princess for 10 years, and the officer/crew expectations specifically stated they cannot say no to a pax. If that ethos was still in force in 2015, it is the classic example of very poor management, when the senior dining room supervisor doesn't follow what they preach.

• Like 3