Question about spa massage

JMB1969

Have never booked a massage on a HAL cruise, but an considering it for my trans-Atlantic crossing in November.  If you purchase a massage in the spa, does it include access to the Thermal Suite?  I have not been able to find the answer on HAL's website.  

Thanks in advance! 

I have never heard of complimentary access to the thermal suite or hydro-pool being thrown in with spa services. But as relates to the massage, let me offer two tips based on my experience on our last cruise: DW and I were each offered a $60 discount coupon on any spa service. The charge slip the masseuse presented did not account for the discount. When I presented the coupon, she rolled her eyes, scolded me for not having tendered the coupon at the outset, and took forever to back the original charge out and instate the reduced charge. I of course don't know if the massage for the discounted fee would have been different from the full-price massage I received.

My other point concerns the masseuse's high-pressure pitch for additional services and products. I had read on CC that such pitches are inevitable/unavoidable but can be cut short with a firm statement that you're not interested. My masseuse would not take no for an answer. I did not stiff her on the tip, but on the other hand I was not generous.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

I have never heard of complimentary access to the thermal suite or hydro-pool being thrown in with spa services. But as relates to the massage, let me offer two tips based on my experience on our last cruise: DW and I were each offered a $60 discount coupon on any spa service. The charge slip the masseuse presented did not account for the discount. When I presented the coupon, she rolled her eyes, scolded me for not having tendered the coupon at the outset, and took forever to back the original charge out and instate the reduced charge. I of course don't know if the massage for the discounted fee would have been different from the full-price massage I received.

My other point concerns the masseuse's high-pressure pitch for additional services and products. I had read on CC that such pitches are inevitable/unavoidable but can be cut short with a firm statement that you're not interested. My masseuse would not take no for an answer. I did not stiff her on the tip, but on the other hand I was not generous.

Thanks for the info.  A high pressured sales pitch is the last thing I want to deal with after a relaxing massage.

• Like 1

My wife and I always book a couples massage on each cruise. We thoroughly enjoy them. They provide an excellent relaxing massage. They do sometimes offer advice on extra skin products but a polite "no thank you" ends that conversation. The masseuse has never been overly pushy.

• Like 2

I’m trying to figure out if prebooking with the discount is better than waiting for a deal onboard. From my understanding it’s best to do it before boarding on HAL. $146 for 75 minutes is pretty competitive to on land. But I’d like to hear if there’s better deals to be had. 

• Like 2

We usually get some services from the spa on any cruise ship we are on. The great thing is that it's the same company for ALL the cruise lines, so we've run into some who were on other lines before.  

Feel free to ask for a discount, or if they have a specific day, they do a discount, as we've been successful with both options (NCL had a special Friday sale of 40% off once, and I got 50% off my 2nd appointment on our last HAL cruise!)

• Like 2

No to the question of having complimentary access to ThermalSpa w/booked service. 

As for specials on board - always. Usually best prices are on port days.

There will also be a 10/20/30 offering for booking 3 services; ThermalSpa does not count as 1 of the 3. You'll get 10% off least expensive service, 20% off the next and 30% off the highest priced service. 18% grats apply.

• Like 1

I got a massage during our transatlantic crossing in April & it was terrific. I packaged it with a special that included a few other services for a discount. Overall it seemed reasonably priced. As far as trying to sell products, when asked what products I used I kindly replied that I used the products recommended by my dermatologist. No further questions or attempts to push product. 

• Thanks 1

I just came back from the Westerdam and several months in advance I prebooked a massage one day and a facial for another. Once on board I added 3 more treatments. I always book them for port days so that they are less, but it is a good deal booking in advance. Other cruise lines we go on do not do this so I appreciate this discount. What happens when you do this once you get on board the money you purchased in advanced gets applied like ship board credit, then when you have your appointment they charge you what that price was then they tack on the 18% gratuity, you can add to that if you wish. So even if you do not add on the actual cost will be a bit more. Depending on how good they were and if they spent a lot of time with me depends on if I give extra. I did a back to back facial and massage that were to each be 50 , minutes the person who gave me the massage was actually for the facial as well and I was with her for one hour and 25 minutes so she went well over the allotted time and did not try to sell me anything but I discussed with her the Elemis products I was already using.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I just came back from the Westerdam and several months in advance I prebooked a massage one day and a facial for another. Once on board I added 3 more treatments. I always book them for port days so that they are less, but it is a good deal booking in advance. Other cruise lines we go on do not do this so I appreciate this discount. What happens when you do this once you get on board the money you purchased in advanced gets applied like ship board credit, then when you have your appointment they charge you what that price was then they tack on the 18% gratuity, you can add to that if you wish. So even if you do not add on the actual cost will be a bit more. Depending on how good they were and if they spent a lot of time with me depends on if I give extra. I did a back to back facial and massage that were to each be 50 , minutes the person who gave me the massage was actually for the facial as well and I was with her for one hour and 25 minutes so she went well over the allotted time and did not try to sell me anything but I discussed with her the Elemis products I was already using.

Your fortunate, the upsell is the main reason I avoid spa services, a half an hour of it the last time I had a massage, I think it was on the Eurodam, before Covid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Petronillus said:

That's why I've never done another massage after the first cruise I ever took on HAL. The unrelenting pitch at the end literally ruined it for me--mine wouldn't take no for an answer either, although it was my final answer.  UGH.  I'm glad you posted this--I was feeling a bit weak and thinking of booking a massage on our upcoming cruise.  I'll stick with the thermal spa visits and save myself the aggravation.

2 hours ago, Foggy Bay said:

That's why I've never done another massage after the first cruise I ever took on HAL. The unrelenting pitch at the end literally ruined it for me--mine wouldn't take no for an answer either, although it was my final answer.  UGH.  I'm glad you posted this--I was feeling a bit weak and thinking of booking a massage on our upcoming cruise.  I'll stick with the thermal spa visits and save myself the aggravation.

If DW & I got a similar discount offer in the future, I'd probably go back for a massage or a pedicure, but would not repeat my mistakes. I would present the discount coupon up front, and I would tell the attendant that her tip was contingent on omitting the sales pitch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ORTravelGal said:

As far as trying to sell products, when asked what products I used I kindly replied that I used the products recommended by my dermatologist. No further questions or attempts to push product. 

Great solution. The last time we booked massages on HAL (2007), I successfully got past the sales pitch after a few no thank yous. Meanwhile, DH came back to the room with $150 in products that sat decoratively by the tub gathering dust, eventually thrown out when we moved,

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Great solution. The last time we booked massages on HAL (2007), I successfully got past the sales pitch after a few no thank yous. Meanwhile, DH came back to the room with $150 in products that sat decoratively by the tub gathering dust, eventually thrown out when we moved,

I think they kind of count on that.  I would simply tell them in advance that I don't want to talk during my massage.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Foggy Bay said:

Oddly, I was only super pressured to buy lots of expensive stuff on the NCL cruises, but not on Princess nor HAL.  My wife and I did bought many products (we like Elemis and appreciate the tax-free price and discount) before, so when they sometimes start bringing something up to purchase, I usually tell them I already own that particular product (which may or may not be true).  😉  I've also mentioned before the service I was getting that I would not be interested in any extra products unless they had a deep discount (Amazon makes some outstanding sales of Elemis a few times a year).  

• Like 2

On one of my cruises last year, the massage therapist told me that she and the other staff were new that trip. She said that people who were doing a back to back brought back unopened products that they had been pressured to buy during the previous cruise.  She said as a result, the staff were being very careful about suggesting things. She also told me that the 18% service charge is her pay. The base price for the service goes to the salon. That is why the 18% is obligatory. Tipping is extra.  The staff were making it clear before taking a booking or doing any work, that the 18% had to be paid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ottawa traveller said:

On one of my cruises last year, the massage therapist told me that she and the other staff were new that trip. She said that people who were doing a back to back brought back unopened products that they had been pressured to buy during the previous cruise.  She said as a result, the staff were being very careful about suggesting things. She also told me that the 18% service charge is her pay. The base price for the service goes to the salon. That is why the 18% is obligatory. Tipping is extra.  The staff were making it clear before taking a booking or doing any work, that the 18% had to be paid.

That's good to know, for many reasons.  Might give them another try...because...ahhhhh. I need a massage.

4 hours ago, Ottawa traveller said:

She also told me that the 18% service charge is her pay. The base price for the service goes to the salon. That is why the 18% is obligatory. Tipping is extra. 

Although this was new information, somehow I have always felt that not tipping over and above the built-in was the same as stiffing the masseuse, manicurist, or the like.

So let's see, if the service hypothetically costs $100, I am charged $118, of which $100 goes to the concessionaire and a mere $18 to the person performing the service. That makes for a roughly 85/15 split.  "Workers of the world, you have nothing to lose but your chains!"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

...(Amazon makes some outstanding sales of Elemis a few times a year).  

I buy Elemis direct from them at a min 25% discount. I stock up when they have BOGO free a couple times/yr. Yes, tax is charged, but the discount still makes for good pricing. Now if they would pack a massage in the box...🥴

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I buy Elemis direct from them at a min 25% discount. I stock up when they have BOGO free a couple times/yr. Yes, tax is charged, but the discount still makes for good pricing. Now if they would pack a massage in the box...🥴

It has been many years since I bought an Elemis product on the ship but do frequent their web site and yes buy when they have the 25% discount or free products.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

I tell them I only have carry-on luggage (which I do) so I can’t buy anything. That shuts them up quickly. Eventually they might get smart and start trying to push smaller sizes. 

Please don't give them any ideas 🥴

• Like 1