Question on Diamond status free Spec dinner

Mud_Shark

We are new to MSC but appreciate that MSC has status matched our Princess loyalty level and granted us Diamond status.  In reading the perks, it mentions a night of free specialty dining.  Can someone please provide info on any restrictions associated with this.  As in:

1) is this perk limited to certain cruise lengths or any short cruise is also included?  (we sail on a 4 night in Jan and a 7 night in October with MSC)

2) Are there any fees associated with this - as in are gratuities included or extra?  If extra how much are they?

3) Are there venue restrictions or is this good at any of the restaurants?

4) Are there menu restrictions - as in only certain items are included?

5) Can you make a reservation before boarding to use this perk?

Thanks for any and all help.

Don

1.) Afaik there is a limitation on cruiselength. I don't know if 4 nights get the perk, 7 days for sure.

2.) If you do not have extra premium plus Beverage package the drinks are not included. if youre cruisin' in YC the normal beverages are free up to 14 Dollars. Bottled wine you have to pay for in any case.

3.) There are restrictions, depending wich venues on that particular ship. i highly recommend butchers cut.

4.) the menues are restricted, only certain dishes are included except at Hóla - but don't use the perk in that Restaurant, you can get all you can eat for about 20 bucks.

5.) Nope, you are not able to prebook, you have to wait and make the reservation once you boarded the ship.

Edited by Mezqal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The diamond meal is available on 3 night cruises also.  There is a limited menu to order from, but if you wish to sub for something else, you get a 50% discount on the item.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSC's a la carte restaurants have a concept of a "dining experience menu," which a more limited menu from which you can choose one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert when using your Diamond credit or the specialty dining package. I have always found plenty to choose from on the dining experience menus, but if you do want something from the full menu, you can substitute that item for whichever course you want to swap and only pay 50% of the price of the item from the a la carte menu.

Do not waste your Diamond dining credit at Hola! or Kaito Sushi (not to be confused with Kaito Teppanyaki) as the prices for sushi and tacos are already very reasonable. If you use your credit at Teppanyaki, you will be charged an additional surcharge (it used to be $10, not sure if that is still the case).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are taking our first MSC cruise next year. My husband matched to Diamond via his Hilton status, however I am not Diamond/do not have any status to match. I think I read somewhere that the Diamond specialty meal is just one meal per person. If I am interpreting this correctly, does this mean he gets the free specialty dining but I do not?

9 minutes ago, Cjkfree said:

We are taking our first MSC cruise next year. My husband matched to Diamond via his Hilton status, however I am not Diamond/do not have any status to match. I think I read somewhere that the Diamond specialty meal is just one meal per person. If I am interpreting this correctly, does this mean he gets the free specialty dining but I do not?

It's one meal per cabin, regardless of how many Diamond members there are in the cabin.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It's one meal per cabin, regardless of how many Diamond members there are in the cabin.

To clarify, I think it is one meal each for both people in a cabin (limit of two people), nothing for a third or additional people in the cabin. The phrase "One meal per cabin" may be misunderstood as only one meal period. In other words, a Diamond member with a cabin mate who is not Diamond would be able to have the specialty meal for him/or herself and the cabin mate.

Edited by JAGR
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

To clarify, I think it is one meal each for both people in a cabin (limit of two people), nothing for a third or additional people in the cabin. The phrase "One meal per cabin" may be misunderstood as only one meal period. In other words, a Diamond member with a cabin mate who is not Diamond would be able to have the specialty meal for him/or herself and the cabin mate.

Good point.