mobility scooters

Knickearth

I have rented for the first time ever a mobility scooter that will be delivered to my ship.  My question is: is there something like a form I would have to fill out with Princess itself?  Appreciate any info I can get.

Here is a bunch of information.

Mobility Equipment Guidance

Here are some important things to know about bringing a mobility device onboard.

If you will be using a mobility device or have special needs, we strongly recommend you travel with a person physically fit to assist with your needs both onboard and ashore.

Although we do not offer mobility devices onboard for personal use, you are welcome to bring your own device. Alternatively, we do partner with the following companies who provide wheelchairs and other medical equipment for rent, and they can deliver directly to the ship. If a rental is a better solution for you, please do contact them directly.

Please ensure that your mobility device meets the following specifications:

• Maximum device width: 22” for standard staterooms, 31” for wheelchair-accessible staterooms
  • Maximum combined weight of the wheelchair, including guest: 600 pounds (weight may vary outside the United States)

Your mobility device must be securely stored in your stateroom when not in use. This will ensure that hallways and other public areas are clear for other guests and crew to safely move throughout the ship. We do not offer alternate locations for mobility device storage onboard. For assistance onboard with charging your equipment in your stateroom, please contact your stateroom attendant.

If you are bringing other mobility equipment onboard or if you have booked Princess transfers, pre or post hotel stays, Cruisetours or shore excursions you must complete our Mobility Questionnaire (PDF) and return it to us at least 60 days prior to sailing.

Please be advised that filing out the Mobility Questionnaire is to ensure that our Access team can properly assist you with your accessibility and mobility needs. It is not an approval or confirmation of any request, nor does it guarantee being booked into or moved to an accessible cabin. Please ensure that you discuss your cabin needs with your Travel Advisor or our Reservations department.

Also in cruise critic is a title:

Special interest cruising

Disabled Cruise Travel

Check out the information there.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arizonaperson Did a great job with the information, If you didn't get an accessible cabin or lucky enough to get a folding scooter just be sure not to leave it in the hallway please, as they are hard to get around and you may find it moved by staff. We had an accessible cabin last time for DW's scooter and there is plenty of room in there for them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Moondoggy and Ariz.  I had that info and I already rented the scooter to be delivered to the cabin.  What I wanted to know is did I somehow have to register this info with princess itself.  Even the rental company did not know.

i plan on using it in ports - with no tenders so I can get around further than if I had to walk.  I also hope to not have to use it on the ship itself.

There is a mobility questionnaire ( so fill that out) in a link ( post #2) that I gave with information,not sure if it is really required,but I also gave disability thread/ forum too, much more information there.

At bottom of questionnaire is fax or email to return form. Says multiple times size of door in Princess.com mobility section as well as questionnaire & you have to store it in cabin.

or call your travel agent or Princess to advise of scooter.

Probably most important is ….does scooter rental company assure you it will fit through cabin door to store it when not in use? Assuming you don’t have accessible cabin.

Edited by arizonaperson

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

Thanks Moondoggy and Ariz.  I had that info and I already rented the scooter to be delivered to the cabin.  What I wanted to know is did I somehow have to register this info with princess itself.  Even the rental company did not know.

i plan on using it in ports - with no tenders so I can get around further than if I had to walk.  I also hope to not have to use it on the ship itself.

Do fill out the mobility questionnaire for Princess.  Be aware the staff will probably not allow you to motor up & down the gangway, they will want to push you in manual mode (it is also probably in your rental contract not to use it to motor on the gangway) read your contract carefully.  Safe travels!

A folding scooter is a smart choice - the crew are usually quite happy to load into onto a tender so long as you can step aboard. Full size, fixed mobility scooters are banned from the tenders.

Heads Up For UK cruisers:- There is a discussion on the P&O forum regarding powered mobility aids.  P&O will now only allow guests to use one if they are in a fully accessible cabin. As Princess and P&O are sister companies (the P&O, Princess and Cunard admin staff share an office) this may possibly affect bookings over all 3 cruise lines. 

5 hours ago, blloyd78 said:

A folding scooter is a smart choice - the crew are usually quite happy to load into onto a tender so long as you can step aboard. Full size, fixed mobility scooters are banned from the tenders.

I have seen that on a couple of our cruises it was not a ships tender but a contracted boat being used, they picked up a couple regular scooters for the passengers as long as they could step onto the boat. Those boats had several crew members and two of the crew would lift it over.

7 hours ago, happy42cruise said:

Do fill out the mobility questionnaire for Princess.  Be aware the staff will probably not allow you to motor up & down the gangway, they will want to push you in manual mode (it is also probably in your rental contract not to use it to motor on the gangway) read your contract carefully.  Safe travels!

I motored DW's scooter up and down the gangway (because she was afraid to 🤣) hers is not a rental though.

15 hours ago, Moondogy said:

Arizonaperson Did a great job with the information, If you didn't get an accessible cabin or lucky enough to get a folding scooter just be sure not to leave it in the hallway please, as they are hard to get around and you may find it moved by staff. We had an accessible cabin last time for DW's scooter and there is plenty of room in there for them. 

On my last Princess cruise there was a scooter parked in the hall every day of the cruise.  I complained top the desk about it every day and it was never moved.  So much for management enforcing rules.

DON

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

On my last Princess cruise there was a scooter parked in the hall every day of the cruise.  I complained top the desk about it every day and it was never moved.  So much for management enforcing rules.

DON

Was moved on my last cruise as I tripped over it and called for medical assistance.  It blocked 90% of the hallway.  Was gone in minutes and never reappeared.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Was moved on my last cruise as I tripped over it and called for medical assistance.  It blocked 90% of the hallway.  Was gone in minutes and never reappeared.

Some people are so thoughtless. Having a fall on holiday is no fun, I hope you were ok. The halls are also emergency exits so they should be kept clear. 

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I have also seen scooters (and regular wheelchairs) parked in the elevator lobbies mostly late at night, although that could be 8:30 pm!😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Well that is unfortunate, the non enforcement of rules. 

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

On our last cruise I saw them move a few of them. Guess it depends on the crew and the ship. It is a hazard in emergency situations. Could you just imagine (Heaven forbid) a fire with smoke filled hallways half blocked by scooters?? I'd like to think if you put your complaint about the safety issue it might be fixed faster 🤣

Edited by Moondogy

11 hours ago, Moondogy said:

On our last cruise I saw them move a few of them. Guess it depends on the crew and the ship. It is a hazard in emergency situations. Could you just imagine (Heaven forbid) a fire with smoke filled hallways half blocked by scooters?? I'd like to think if you put your complaint about the safety issue it might be fixed faster 🤣

I use one. You're quite right they shouldn't be parked outside cabins, it's awkward to you able bodied but impossible for me to pass. The room service carts are almost as inconvenient but usually I can push them along a bit into an alcove. People who leave their plates and uneaten food outside their door are at the bottom of the heap for me though, not really because it's difficult passing, I just don't like that sort of manners and consideration.

Most scooter and wheelchair users feel more strongly about this issue than you do, and are actually compromised by it, but are used to the able bodied's mindset and are inured to it, whether from passengers or crew we can see how you think!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If someone rents scooter but has never used one before, that can be a danger to others.

On a very long cruise(and it was the first couple of days into it), I stepped out of my cabin. A person in a scooter going as fast as they could, ran over top of my foot. ..Going too fast and apparently couldn't stop. Person wasn't in front of my cabin but down the hall when I was exiting. I had one foot in the hall. Needless to say, I had pain, hard to wear shoes the rest of the cruise. The person that did it. Jumped off his scooter . The scooter wasn't a mini size one but a heavy full size. He said he never had one before but thought it would be nice renting one. He demanded to see my foot and I was screaming in pain and said no. I never got his name and he never came down that hall again in the scooter.My friends next door to me were  also in the hall so he had to have seen them too.I thought later I recognized him but he wasn't utilizing the scooter, just walking.

• Like 1

I am currently on Enchanted in Boston with my scooter.  I have used a scooter for the past several cruises on multiple lines without incident. I always submit the form well in advance and also with the airline. Most passengers are very courteous. It makes my ability to get around much more enjoyable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dunchues said:

I use one. You're quite right they shouldn't be parked outside cabins, it's awkward to you able bodied but impossible for me to pass. The room service carts are almost as inconvenient but usually I can push them along a bit into an alcove. People who leave their plates and uneaten food outside their door are at the bottom of the heap for me though, not really because it's difficult passing, I just don't like that sort of manners and consideration.

Most scooter and wheelchair users feel more strongly about this issue than you do, and are actually compromised by it, but are used to the able bodied's mindset and are inured to it, whether from passengers or crew we can see how you think!

I don't know why you'd think I don't feel strong about this issue. I am still sort of able bodied, but my DW uses a scooter. I make sure we have an accessible cabin so we can park it in the cabin. If I can't get us an accessible cabin, I her scooter does come apart into 4 parts, I would take them apart everytime we go into the cabin and put it in there. It would not be easy for me but I feel that is what would need to be done. I had to retire because my job was too hard on this old body, 13 years in the army did wear and tear on this old body and 38 years at my last job was very physical. Not saying I want sympathy or anything, just saying one should not assume that not everyone takes this kind of behavior is acceptable. 

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

If someone rents scooter but has never used one before, that can be a danger to others.

On a very long cruise(and it was the first couple of days into it), I stepped out of my cabin. A person in a scooter going as fast as they could, ran over top of my foot. ..Going too fast and apparently couldn't stop. Person wasn't in front of my cabin but down the hall when I was exiting. I had one foot in the hall. Needless to say, I had pain, hard to wear shoes the rest of the cruise. The person that did it. Jumped off his scooter . The scooter wasn't a mini size one but a heavy full size. He said he never had one before but thought it would be nice renting one. He demanded to see my foot and I was screaming in pain and said no. I never got his name and he never came down that hall again in the scooter.My friends next door to me were  also in the hall so he had to have seen them too.I thought later I recognized him but he wasn't utilizing the scooter, just walking.

They should set up a tent outside of the ship where you have to pick them up and first. Make sure at the minimum make sure they know where the speed control know and that they do not have a brake and can't stop on a dime. 😞 I have used DW's scooter for things like loading onto the lift we have on the car (She doesn't like doing that) if you don't use them regularly they take time getting used to.

Edited by Moondogy

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

That isn't usually the case.  People who have scooters at home and use them regularly may rent one for use on the ship rather than bring their own.  I have a folding one that is narrow and light.  I also have a portable power wheelchair, but it is 1" too wide for the doors.  (Don't get me started on how impossible it is to get an accessible cabin.)  I have noticed a weird thing:  people are nicer to me when I'm in the wheelchair than when I'm using the scooter.  My own unsupported theory is that people think scooter users are just lazy but wheelchair users are genuinely handicapped.  Your experience with the bad driver just reinforces those ideas, I think.  Believe me, any of us who can't walk more than a few steps (or at all) would happily trade places with any of you able bodied folk.

We really aren't on the cruise just to annoy you.  Maybe we should just stay home?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kay S said:

We really aren't on the cruise just to annoy you.  Maybe we should just stay home?

Nope...never gonna happen. Keep right on going. I know how hard it is to get an accessible cabin. Last cruise we wanted to do the 7 day eastern Caribbean, but the only accessible cabin we could get was if we did it as a b2b. So we was forced to do a 14 day cruise just to get an accessible cabin. (They really didn't have to twist my arm too hard) but it is the point that we couldn't get it for just the 7 days.

• Haha 1