Return Transatlantic Crossing Question(s)

janny444

We are considering a 14 night Transatlantic crossing with a stop at New York on QM2.....will there be enough time at New York to do an excursion and if so does anyone know what excursions will be available ? 

Would like to do a ship's tour that gives an overview of New York with possibly 2/3 stops at the main points 

Cunard does offer some excursions for the 'turn around' day - the number of offered excursions varies depending on how many passengers are continuing for the next segment of the sailing [back to Southampton; to Quebec city; Caribbean]. Excursions range from a drop off / pick up by Macys Herald Square [Cunard does not run a free shuttle bus], to some possible destinations outside the city [mostly shopping focused].

All passengers must disembark [even if briefly - in transit passengers no not need to pack] so the ship is 'zeroed out' before passengers can start boarding.

With a normal arrival time, in transit passengers and self disembarkation passengers can leave the ship at about 0700 - with in transit passengers able to re board at about noon. 

An alternative to Cunard's tours is that a ferry stop is just outside the terminal gate - with multiple options providing public transportation access or in a reasonable walking distance to attractions. 

• Like 1

Cannot help with what excursions are available but despite the cost I would definitly go with a ships's excursion as that will get you through the dreaded US immigration process earlier - I would say quicker but as they only have one speed that would not apply in this case.

A day in Manhattan.....

You CAN do it on your own....
My take would be to get off at the earliest self-disembark time usually around 7am so you can quickly clear immigration and walk over to the nearby ferry service over to the Wall st district, lower manhattan. 
Research for a breakfast diner....

Do some homework of the main sights and or shops you want to see - maybe Times Sq, Broadway, 42nd St, Macy's, St Patrick's Cathedral on 5th ave, Bloomingdales, and a walk up to Central Park.
Hail a cab back to the ferry terminal....

If you want to see or go up the Empire State (which is close to Macy's) then you need to pre book your tickets.
You could also do an early tour over to Ellis Island - the boats for this go from near the ferry from the ship. Again you must book.
The boats will sail past and likely call at the Statue of Liberty island.

In a little over a year we are taking a Southampton-NY-Québec voyage.  The tours are already showing on "MyCunard."  For New York there are four excursions plus two pricey private car and private guide tours.  The four excursions are priced from $79.20 to $123.30. The length of those tours are four, six and seven and a half hours.

5 hours ago, rog747 said:

Bloomingdales, and a walk up to Central Park.

A slight correction…Saks Fifth Avenue is adjacent to St. Patrick’s and Rock Center. Bloomingdale’s is further uptown on 59th and Lexington and a bit out of the way for a the itinerary as mentioned.  
All good ideas to spend some time and get the quick NYC look-see. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

In a little over a year we are taking a Southampton-NY-Québec voyage.  The tours are already showing on "MyCunard."  For New York there are four excursions plus two pricey private car and private guide tours.  The four excursions are priced from $79.20 to $123.30. The length of those tours are four, six and seven and a half hours.

Is it possible to tell me what the 4 tours are....not the pricey ones 😀

We have done R/T TA a few times and find the NY Ferry very walkable as only short distance and very cheap. Straight to Pier 11 (Wall Street) and then you can explore at your will. My only advice is get up early to see sail in to NY and then buffet breakfast and then disembark early with those that are self disembarking at end of cruise. No problem with customs through very quick and easily be in Wall Street by 8am.

7 hours ago, janny444 said:

Is it possible to tell me what the 4 tours are....not the pricey ones 😀

Being a year away it is possible there may be more excursions added.  That was my experience on some other cruises we have taken.  I said there were four, but one is a duplicate marked "accessible."  I am unable to link the actual pages as they are visible only after I log in to My Cunard.

The cheapest one at $79.20 is New York Highlights - a taste of the "Big Apple."  It offers a "leisurely drive through the city's pulsing streets."  It includes a visit to the 9/11 Memorial.  It is a four-hour tour departing at 8:30 a.m.  The accessible version is the same but is marked only one place left even though it is over a year away.

The "Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island" tour is six hours, departing at 9:00.  The cost is $108.90.  

The third tour is "New York Insight and top of Rockefeller."  Besides a visit to the observation deck of Rockefeller Building it includes a walk in Central Park  and a visit to Grand  Central Station.  It is 7 1/2 hours departing at 8:15 and the cost is $123.30.