HIA Price Increase?

BaliThai

I am new to HAL and am taking a long cruise on HAL in early 2025.

In my planning spreadsheet I wrote a note that indicated that the HIA package was going to increase in price on November 10. Sadly, my foggy brain cannot remember where I read that - and I can't find any confirming information. Was that note a figment of my imagination or is there a price increase coming for the HIA package that I can't seem to find confirmation about . . . this part of getting older stinks!

Thank you!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

My memory says it was $50 and has been $55 for a while.

I wrote that on my spreadsheet after it was $55 . . . maybe it is early senility catching up with me! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaisyFire said:

We just booked a 7 day Alaska 2026 and the cost was $420 more with HIA Bonus pkg. The HAL website info says HIA is $55 per day … so wondering if it’s $60 because it’s HIA Bonus version? 

What does your Booking Confirmation say?

Look on last page and it would look something like this (except for 7 days instead of 14):

image.png.f7347c31e913099b89782c86ce8ce052.png

Edited by oakridger

2 hours ago, DaisyFire said:

We just booked a 7 day Alaska 2026 and the cost was $420 more with HIA Bonus pkg. The HAL website info says HIA is $55 per day … so wondering if it’s $60 because it’s HIA Bonus version? 

Yes mine also calculates out to $60.00 per day per person.  Mine is also HIA Bonus version

The difference between the $55 price and people who see it higher may be if they purchase it when they purchase their stateroom at time of booking. I have calculated that it is dfferent that way (and different for different cabin classes, etc.). Since I do not buy the insurance, I don't think that is it. So I am not sure. But they are still stating that it is $55 per day to add it. I am just curious where I got the notion that the price was increasing . . . and if it is, I need to get off the dime! LOL!

1 hour ago, BaliThai said:

The difference between the $55 price and people who see it higher may be if they purchase it when they purchase their stateroom at time of booking. I have calculated that it is dfferent that way (and different for different cabin classes, etc.). Since I do not buy the insurance, I don't think that is it. So I am not sure. But they are still stating that it is $55 per day to add it. I am just curious where I got the notion that the price was increasing . . . and if it is, I need to get off the dime! LOL!

Perhaps there is some gratuity added to the $55 (for the portion that is associated with the drink package)? I have our sons booking without the pkg. I can try to model a purchase to see if that’s it. 

Well - that didn’t work. It says that reservation is not eligible for the HIA. So I can’t test my theory. As I type this, it does occur to me that we don’t have the Have it All package but rather the HIA Bonus which likely accounts for the $5 difference per day. The standard HIA package includes the Signature drink package and Surf WiFi. The Bonus pkg has Elite beverage and premium WiFi. 

1 hour ago, DaisyFire said:

Perhaps there is some gratuity added to the $55 (for the portion that is associated with the drink package)? I have our sons booking without the pkg. I can try to model a purchase to see if that’s it. 

It is interesting to look at various options.  For example, we have an outstanding booking on a VOV cruise for which we booked a discounted outside cabin rate with no perks (other than a very generous on board credit of about $1500 from our cruise agency).  If we wanted to book that same cabin with the early booking HIA package it would add $99.29 per person/day to that booking price.  Is HIA worth $100 a day (per person)?  Not in my world.  At $55 it would be a reasonable value for folks who do take advantage of the drink package.

We have previously booked HAL cruises with HIA, but not with this kind of add-on price.  In this case, based on our own spending habits, we will likely save over $2000 by NOT booking HIA.  Sometimes the packages are a very good deal, and other times they are not!  

As to drink packages, they already include the usual HAL 18% add-on (HAL loves add-ons).  Things also get a bit more complicated for 4 and 5* Mariners who get discounts in Explorations, with wine packages, etc.  

We are 4* Mariner and we evaluate the HIA offered, cruise by cruise; sometimes it is worth it to us, sometimes not…on a longer itinerary or one with many sea days such as ocean crossing, if we can buy the HIA early package that includes the $15/less wine, better WIFI, and crew appreciation, for us it sometimes makes sense even when factoring in our 4* benefits…. Other times, we rely on our 4* benefits and give HIA a pass. Its a very personal decision based on your own calculation…. Happy Sailing!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, leafsnation said:

As long as you get crew appreciation included its a good deal.

Bob

That "may be true" but ultimately depends on just how much is charged for the HIA.  In our case, the HIA that would normally cost about $55 per person/day, has been increased to about $100 per person day.  Would you argue it is worth paying $45 a day (the extra cost of the HIA on this particular booking) just to get a return of $17 per person/day?

Hank

On 9/18/2024 at 1:18 PM, BaliThai said:

That's what I paid on the last 3 cruises I just booked. $55 a day