Down payment considered as partial insurance payment?

39august

I usually book a new cruise while on board to get the reduced deposit and OBC. I also always at that time specify insurance as well. Could any of that down payment  be considered a partial insurance payment? This would be good if there is a preexisting condition. Perhaps if I increased the lower deposit by $100 per person?  Then, what if I moved that booking to a different date and ship? The deposit would go along as well as the insurance designation. 

8 minutes ago, 39august said:

I usually book a new cruise while on board to get the reduced deposit and OBC. I also always at that time specify insurance as well. Could any of that down payment  be considered a partial insurance payment? This would be good if there is a preexisting condition. Perhaps if I increased the lower deposit by $100 per person?  Then, what if I moved that booking to a different date and ship? The deposit would go along as well as the insurance designation. 

I assume you are planning to get the insurance through the cruise line?

Does what you are planning cover you for a pre-existing condition?

Many of us don't find cruise-line (or credit card) coverage sufficient, so we get third-party coverage.

That almost always has much better protections: often higher medical coverage plus fewer exclusions.

Whatever you get, make SURE that you real all the Terms & Conditions to make sure it actually covers whatever you expect it to cover.

Ooops: forgot to address your question, sort of.

If one gets separate insurance, then the deposit is what would be the first covered expense, so getting the policy started within 10-20 days (state specific) would get you the coverage for any pre-existing conditions IF you are "fit to travel" that day.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Like 1

"Fit to travel that day". Hmm. If you have a pre-existing condition are you ever "fit to travel"? My husband has a-fib. It is under control with drugs. We always buy insurance, but maybe it doesn't actually do us any good?:Yes, We get cruise travel insurance thro cruise line tho' we also used to always get GEOBlue. I know there is better insurance, but at our ages, it is SOOO expensive. Also, once we did "cancel for any reason". so the coverage, tho' reduced, was so much better than losing it all. 

Edited by 39august

• 2 weeks later...

I was diagnosed with a-fib about 6 months ago. When I book a cruise now I always get insurance for pre-existing conditions.  I use Allianz. If you purchase insurance within 14 days of booking, there is no look back. If purchased after the 14 days, there is a look back of  4 months.