Australian cruisers - fare fairness?

teamflames

22 hours ago, teamflames said:

Interesting - thanks for explaining that. However in my case I am talking about the overall cost of the cruise fare with Plus package included. 
Currently the conversion equivalent price of the cruise is $200 cheaper in the US. So if the Plus is priced as you say than the Standard fare of the cruise must be significantly less in the US. So overall fare is lower with bonus of gratuities included

edit to add - so if I pay the gratuity onboard I am paying more than 30% more

Aussie wages and cost of living is also higher than the US. Everything is relative 

On 9/14/2024 at 9:32 AM, The_Big_M said:

No, the booking rules are definitely set by Princess, not any mysterious 3rd party.

Just as in the US, Princess needs to comply with booking regulations wherever the sale occurs.

I doubt any regulations anywhere say that a company cannot reduce the price of a product and must have non refundable deposits.

25 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

I doubt any regulations anywhere say that a company cannot reduce the price of a product and must have non refundable deposits.

Exactly. No idea how some people come up with such claims.

41 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

The UK and Australia have different custom regarding tipping.  Both also have laws that are much more restrictive for compensation regarding missed ports for example.

Refundable deposit bookings are available in the UK and Australia  so one needs to choose.  I use a TA is the US for my bookings and my Aussie relatives.

17 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Refundable deposit bookings are available in the UK and Australia  so one needs to choose.  

Really?  I've never seen a price with a refundable deposit for UK customers of Princess. 

More generally, the whole concept of a refundable deposit is something of an oxymoron in the UK.

30 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The UK and Australia have different custom regarding tipping.  Both also have laws that are much more restrictive for compensation regarding missed ports for example.

Refundable deposit bookings are available in the UK and Australia  so one needs to choose.  I use a TA is the US for my bookings and my Aussie relatives.

Tipping customs are not really relevant, unless included in the fare they are discretionary (except Costa).

The UK regs there needs to be a major change to even get a fare adjustment or the right to cancel pre cruise.

For most cruises a couple of port changes is not major.

Once sailed missing ports for weather no compensation or adjustment required.

Needs to be significant disruption to get adjustments or refunds of fare paid.

In some circumstances damages might be due for losses.

Eg. If a cruise line cancels or adjust departures then they are responsible for full costs of things like flights although they do try with upto $ for fare adjustment.

As fares have always included taxes/fees even those are often not refunded for missed ports

Never seen Princess do refundable deposits in the UK they do have low deposit offers.

Edited by insidecabin
  • Like 1