On-Your-Own Excursion to Cinque Terre

Red in Arizona

This post is for anyone looking to do an on-your-own excursion to Cinque Terre. In July 2024, I sailed on the Scarlet Lady on Virgin Voyages with a port stop in Marina di Carrara.  VV offers two excursion options to Cinque Terre (one by coach bus, one by ferry), but I opted to do it on my own. It's totally doable, and I recommend it, but it does require a little bit of planning ahead.

First, a little about Cinque Terre. There are five towns that make up Cinque Terre, each of them about 4 minutes apart by train.

• Riomaggiore
  • Manarola
  • Corniglia
  • Vernazza
  • Monterosso

For a day-excursion, you will only have enough time to visit 2 or 3 of them; there is not enough time to visit all five. Additionally, most people skip Corniglia, because it is situated 100 meters above the sea on top of a cliff.

Disembarking the cruise ship:

Virgin Voyages docks in Marina di Carrara, Italy.

• Take mandatory free shuttle from the ship to the port gates (2 min drive)

Take city bus to the train station (10 min)

• When you exit the port gate, turn right and walk 2 blocks towards the main city street
  • At the main city street (sorry, I don't recall the street name), turn right and walk 1 minute to the bus station called Colombo/Rinchiosa Dir.Est
  • Take the bus #52 to the train station called Carrara Avenza
  • Bus fares are purchased when you get on the bus. It seemed like the only option was to pay by credit/debit card (no special Italy bus card needed). I did not see an option to pay with cash/Euros. Each passenger needs their own ticket, and they did not print an actual ticket once you made the purchase. Therefore, I HAVE NO IDEA how much that bus ticket cost, there were no signs that I could see with pricing - I just used my debit card and assumed it couldn't have cost too much.
  • Exit the bus at the Carrara Avenza train station

Train to Cinque Terre

You can buy tickets at the train station, or buy tickets in advance through the Trenitalia app https://www.trenitalia.com/

There will be a bit of a line to buy tickets from the agent at the ticket window at the train station, but that's because the line fills up with everyone getting off the bus at the same time. The line moves fairly quickly or you can use the self-service ticket kiosk at the train station as well. If you want to have an agent at the train station help, bring your passport, you'll need it for each passenger purchasing a ticket. Pro Tip: be the first one off the bus and hussle to the train station so you can be first in line!

There are two train options to get you to Cinque Terre.  I chose option 1, the direct train option. This ticket had an assigned train car/assigned seats, and they DID check my ticket once I was on the train. This train I took was right on time, no delays. This was a great option for the morning, however, there is no direct train option to return to Carra-Avenza in the afternoon.

Option 1: Direct train from Carrara-Avenza to Monterosso (39 min)

Only ONE direct train option in the morning, departing at 9:52am, arriving at 10:31am (InterCity train) - 9 Euros

Option 2: Two-part train ride: 1) Carrara-Avenza to La Spezia Centrale <change trains> 2) La Spezia Centrale to the Cinque Terre towns (60-90 min)

Only TWO train options in the morning: (REGIONAL trains)

a. Departing at 8:28am with 27 min layover at La Spezia, arriving first town (Riomaggiore) at 9:32am and last town (Monterosso) at 9:47am (this one might be hard to catch in the morning without some major hurrying, you can disembark the ship around 8am)

b. Departing at 9:05am with 22 min layover at La Spezia, arriving first town (Riomaggiore) at 10:02am and last town (Monterosso) at 10:17am

From Marina di Carrara to La Spezia Centrale: 30 min by train

From La Spezia Centrale to Cinque Terre: 10 min by train to the first town, or 25 min to the last town (about 5 min between each town)

Directions for Option 2:

• Purchase tickets on the Trenitalia app or in person at the Carrara-Avenza train station (use self-service kiosk or buy from a ticket agent). Even though you change trains in La Spezia, you can buy one train ticket for both rides. This is where a little bit of research in advance could save you a little bit of money. If you plan on hopping between Cinque Terre towns, you will want to buy the Cinque Terre train pass at the La Spezia station. If you do that, then you only need to buy a ticket from Carrara-Avenza to La Spezia. Then use the Cinque Terre train pass from there. If you do not need the Cinque Terre train pass, then purchase a ticket from Carrara-Avenza to your Cinque Terre town of your choice.
  • From the Carrara-Avenza station, take the train toward La Spezia (not Pisa!)
  • Exit train at La Spezia where you transfer to another train called the Cinque Terre train. It’s an easy transfer, just one platform over with frequent trains.
  • The Cinque Terre train has six stops: La Spezia (the main transport hub for the area), the five official Cinque Terre towns of Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso, and the town of Levanto, in that order.
  • Exit the train at the Cinque Terre town of our choice

Train between Cinque Terre towns

Trains depart every 20 mins. There is a Cinque Terre Treno MS Card (32.50 Euros) that you can use to go between all the towns (it's a one-day pass, hop on/hop off as many times as you'd like). Purchase the ticket from an agent at the station (you'll need ID, like a passport), or purchase online at card.parconazionale5terre.it/. Single ride tickets cost 10 Euros per person.  

NOTE: The Cinque Terre train does not have assigned cars/seats. And no one was checking tickets either.

Notes from my experience:

Here's some notes specific to my day excursion in Cinque Terre, in random order:

• I departed the ship at 9am for the option 1 train, departing at 9:52am. It was the perfect amount of time. If you choose this train, don't disembark the ship any later than 9am, you'll be cutting it too close.
  • I did not purchase any of the train tickets in advance and had no issues purchasing tickets on the spot. However, other VV sailors did pre-purchase, and I did hear stories of the trains selling out in the summer months when it's peak tourist season.
  • One group of VV sailors had purchased flexible tickets online prior, and they ended up changing the train time, and because they had the flexible tickets, they had no issues getting tickets for a different train time.
  • There are lots of tunnels between La Spezia and the Cinque Terre towns. That's why the train is so much faster than driving, because the train can go direct while the cars have to wind around the mountains.
  • The Cinque Terre trains did not run on time. None of them. Even by Noon that day, the train was running a full 20 min behind schedule.
  • It took me a full two hours to get back to the ship. I left Cinque Terre at 4pm. That included the Cinque Terre train to La Spezia, the train from La Spezia to Carrara-Avenza, the bus to the city stop near the port, walking to the VV shuttle bus, the shuttle bus to the ship, and loading back on the ship and getting to my room. Pro Tip: Don't cut it too close and give yourself enough buffer time to get back without being rushed.
  • Interestingly, my room was directly above the embark/disembark spot on the ship, so I could see everyone getting on/off the ship. There were about five groups of people that were late getting back to the ship. The VV crew was standing outside waiting for them, calling them on the phone to find out where they were. The last pair boarded 20 min late, and the ship set sail immediately after they boarded.
  • Cinque Terre train - at 32.50 Euros, I thought this was rather pricy. Plan ahead if you really need to buy this all-day pass, or if you can simply purchase a 10 Euros single train ticket.
  • Cinque Terre train - these trains were SO FULL of people! I honestly have no idea how everyone fit on the train, but we did. There was no room to move around, and certainly no time for anyone working for the train to be checking tickets in between the stops, since it was only 4 mins between each Cinque Terre town.
  • Return train from La Spezia Centrale to Carrara-Avenza was 3.90 Euros (cheap!), no assigned car/seats, and no one checked our ticket.
  • Cinque Terre in July - these towns ARE PACKED WITH TOURISTS! Not just hundreds of people, but thousands. And it's hot. If you don't like crowds, this is not the place for you. The towns weren't just busy with cruise ship passengers, there were so many people on holiday visiting the area too - so put those two together and you get really big crowds.
  • There are two train stations in La Spezia, Centrale and the M station. It seems Centrale is the main one, but do check the schedule to make sure you know which station the train is going to.
  • On the return, when you get to Carrara-Avenza train station, you can either take bus #52 back to the same bus stop near the port, or flag a taxi and have them drive you back to port. I saw a lot of VV sailors just grab a taxi because they didn't want to wait for the bus. And I don't think they called for a taxi, there were just a couple in the area that they flagged down. If you take the bus back, look for the bus stop that's across the street from the train station (to make sure you are going the correct direction), it's a different bus stop than the drop off spot in the morning.
  • City bus back to port - I never saw any signage at the bus stops saying the name of the bus stop, nor were there on board announcements. We had to open Google maps and follow along ourselves to know which stop to exit. That said, the entire bus was full of VV sailors, so just follow the crowds is good advice. But nevertheless, I would have had no idea which bus stop to get off at without using Google on my own.
  • City bus tickets - same as the morning bus, purchase your ticket when you get on board the bus. Use credit/debit card. They don't give you a ticket/receipt. In my case, the bus was PACKED full and I entered the bus on the side entrance, not at the front near the driver. The bus was so full, that I couldn't reach the front to pay for my ticket. So I didn't pay, at least until the city ticket checkers came to the back and asked for our tickets. I simply gave him my debit card to pay, and there were no issues. One group of VV sailors was arguing with the ticket checker, saying that he had already purchased a ticket, but the ticket taker said he hadn't. Again - no printed tickets so I have no idea how you could prove that you paid. But the VV sailor was defiant and did not pay. The ticket taker threatened him to pay the fine, and then threatened to call the city police. I'm not sure what ended up happening, as we got off at our stop while this was still lingering on.
  • Returning to the ship with alcohol - I purchased a bottle of liquor while in Cinque Terre. When I re-boarded the ship, it went through the scanner and I was told to simply drop it off once inside the ship. It's very easy to bring back alcohol to the ship, they don't mind - you just have to drop it off and collect it on the last night of the cruise.

My FAVORITE activity in Cinque Terre - Pesto Making in Vernazza

The best part of my excursion to Cinque Terre was a pesto making class in Vernazza. So much fun! Totally worth it!

Cinque Sensi Vernazza

Via Roma 71, Vernazza

https://5sensivernazza.com/

• Pesto making in a mortar
  • Winetasting of 3 different Cinque Terre local wines
  • Olive oil tasting of 3 different Ligurian EVOO oils
  • Focaccia, bread, cheese
  • Limoncino and chocolate
  • 60€ per person

This class started at 12:30pm. They also have later afternoon classes as well. It lasted the full two hours. You SHOULD make a reservation in advance - for me, I simply sent them an email about one week in advance and told them I would like to attend the 12:30 session for two people. I got a quick email response with a YES!, and that was it - easy! There is no online reservation tool or anything like that, so either send an email or a WhatsApp message. The place isn't that large, so I don't think they could fit more than 12 people in a class. In my session, there were a total of four of us.  At the end, you'll get a glass of limoncello, actually they call it limoncino because it's specially made in the region just for their shop. It was the best limoncello that I've ever had! I bought a bottle to take home with me. Also, this place is right next to the train station, super easy to get to!

Other things to do in Cinque Terre:

When I was researching and planning my excursion, these were the notes that I made. I did not do everything listed below (not even close), but wanted to share my notes in case it's helpful for anyone else.

Riomaggiore – the main street is Via Colombo, where you’ll find the majority of the village’s restaurants, bars, enotecas and artisanal gift shops. Make a point of walking its length - it really is beautifully picturesque.

• Church of San Giovanni Battista originally built in 1340 (but requiring a little makeover in the 19th century after a partial collapse), this Gothic church is worth popping your head into, but the lovely view of Riomaggiore offered from its small piazza is amazing.
  • Oratorio di Santa Maria Assunta, also known as Chiesa dalla Compagnia, this 16th century church near the castle is easily accessible from Via Colombo
  • Piazza Vignaioli is a popular spot for kids to play, this raised piazza offers a great view back on Via Colombo. Especially beautiful when the sun hits just right and illuminates the colorful buildings that line the street.
  • La Lampara is a nice little pizza and pasta spot with reasonable prices and decent portions.
  • Osteria La Torpedine is a new place that is slightly hidden away, go through the arch to the left of Bar Zorza to find it. They’ve got an intentionally limited menu of small seafood plates (sort of like tapas), and a really nice approach and ambience.
  • Britta - if you’re feeling a little carb overloaded and need something fresh and healthy, this is your best bet! All homemade and vegan, it’s a great place to grab takeout for lunch.

Manarola – there are two central streets called Via Renato Birolli and Via Antonio Discovolo, which run from the cliffs to the sea, and are home to the majority of restaurants, shops, and cafes.

• Restaurant Nessun Dorma has spectacular views back to the village and is wildly popular. They don’t take reservations per se, but you can download the Nessun Dorma app and digitally queue for your table while exploring the town or hanging out by the water
  • Take pics from the Manarola Overlook Viewpoint (use Google Maps to find it)
  • Chiesa di San Lorenzo, the small medieval stone church and its opposing yellow clock tower overlook the village from a small piazza, and a stroll along Via A. Rollandi, both in ‘Upper Manarola’.
  • Gelateria 5 Terre – gelato shop with non-dairy options as well

Corniglia – we did not visit this town

Vernazza – places to visit:

• The Santa Margherita di Antiochia Church
  • Doria Castle standing above the Belforte Bastion – accessible by heading up the steep staircase by the harbor, $2 per person. Worth it for the views! Great pics! But LOTS and LOTS of steep stairs.
  • Cinque Sensi (www.5sensivernazza.com) for drop-in wine tasting, or make a reservation for the pesto making class (12:30p, 3:00p, 5:30p)
  • Ristorante Bar La Torre – great views and traditional pasta and white wine, located in the upper part of the village. Requires a reservation.

Monterosso – has an “old” side and a “new” side. Stay on the old side, also called Borgo Antico, for the historical and beautiful streets and shops.

• Fabbrica d’Arte Monterosso – family run, handmade ceramics. Beautiful, fancy pieces. Bigger store on Via Roma 9, smaller store around the corner at Via V Emanuele 27

7 hours ago, Red in Arizona said:

This post is for anyone looking to do an on-your-own excursion to Cinque Terre. In July 2024, I sailed on the Scarlet Lady on Virgin Voyages with a port stop in Marina di Carrara.  VV offers two excursion options to Cinque Terre (one by coach bus, one by ferry), but I opted to do it on my own. It's totally doable, and I recommend it, but it does require a little bit of planning ahead.

First, a little about Cinque Terre. There are five towns that make up Cinque Terre, each of them about 4 minutes apart by train.

• Riomaggiore
  • Manarola
  • Corniglia
  • Vernazza
  • Monterosso

For a day-excursion, you will only have enough time to visit 2 or 3 of them; there is not enough time to visit all five. Additionally, most people skip Corniglia, because it is situated 100 meters above the sea on top of a cliff.

Disembarking the cruise ship:

Virgin Voyages docks in Marina di Carrara, Italy.

• Take mandatory free shuttle from the ship to the port gates (2 min drive)

Take city bus to the train station (10 min)

• When you exit the port gate, turn right and walk 2 blocks towards the main city street
  • At the main city street (sorry, I don't recall the street name), turn right and walk 1 minute to the bus station called Colombo/Rinchiosa Dir.Est
  • Take the bus #52 to the train station called Carrara Avenza
  • Bus fares are purchased when you get on the bus. It seemed like the only option was to pay by credit/debit card (no special Italy bus card needed). I did not see an option to pay with cash/Euros. Each passenger needs their own ticket, and they did not print an actual ticket once you made the purchase. Therefore, I HAVE NO IDEA how much that bus ticket cost, there were no signs that I could see with pricing - I just used my debit card and assumed it couldn't have cost too much.
  • Exit the bus at the Carrara Avenza train station

Train to Cinque Terre

You can buy tickets at the train station, or buy tickets in advance through the Trenitalia app https://www.trenitalia.com/

There will be a bit of a line to buy tickets from the agent at the ticket window at the train station, but that's because the line fills up with everyone getting off the bus at the same time. The line moves fairly quickly or you can use the self-service ticket kiosk at the train station as well. If you want to have an agent at the train station help, bring your passport, you'll need it for each passenger purchasing a ticket. Pro Tip: be the first one off the bus and hussle to the train station so you can be first in line!

There are two train options to get you to Cinque Terre.  I chose option 1, the direct train option. This ticket had an assigned train car/assigned seats, and they DID check my ticket once I was on the train. This train I took was right on time, no delays. This was a great option for the morning, however, there is no direct train option to return to Carra-Avenza in the afternoon.

Option 1: Direct train from Carrara-Avenza to Monterosso (39 min)

Only ONE direct train option in the morning, departing at 9:52am, arriving at 10:31am (InterCity train) - 9 Euros

Option 2: Two-part train ride: 1) Carrara-Avenza to La Spezia Centrale <change trains> 2) La Spezia Centrale to the Cinque Terre towns (60-90 min)

Only TWO train options in the morning: (REGIONAL trains)

a. Departing at 8:28am with 27 min layover at La Spezia, arriving first town (Riomaggiore) at 9:32am and last town (Monterosso) at 9:47am (this one might be hard to catch in the morning without some major hurrying, you can disembark the ship around 8am)

b. Departing at 9:05am with 22 min layover at La Spezia, arriving first town (Riomaggiore) at 10:02am and last town (Monterosso) at 10:17am

From Marina di Carrara to La Spezia Centrale: 30 min by train

From La Spezia Centrale to Cinque Terre: 10 min by train to the first town, or 25 min to the last town (about 5 min between each town)

Directions for Option 2:

• Purchase tickets on the Trenitalia app or in person at the Carrara-Avenza train station (use self-service kiosk or buy from a ticket agent). Even though you change trains in La Spezia, you can buy one train ticket for both rides. This is where a little bit of research in advance could save you a little bit of money. If you plan on hopping between Cinque Terre towns, you will want to buy the Cinque Terre train pass at the La Spezia station. If you do that, then you only need to buy a ticket from Carrara-Avenza to La Spezia. Then use the Cinque Terre train pass from there. If you do not need the Cinque Terre train pass, then purchase a ticket from Carrara-Avenza to your Cinque Terre town of your choice.
  • From the Carrara-Avenza station, take the train toward La Spezia (not Pisa!)
  • Exit train at La Spezia where you transfer to another train called the Cinque Terre train. It’s an easy transfer, just one platform over with frequent trains.
  • The Cinque Terre train has six stops: La Spezia (the main transport hub for the area), the five official Cinque Terre towns of Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso, and the town of Levanto, in that order.
  • Exit the train at the Cinque Terre town of our choice

Train between Cinque Terre towns

Trains depart every 20 mins. There is a Cinque Terre Treno MS Card (32.50 Euros) that you can use to go between all the towns (it's a one-day pass, hop on/hop off as many times as you'd like). Purchase the ticket from an agent at the station (you'll need ID, like a passport), or purchase online at card.parconazionale5terre.it/. Single ride tickets cost 10 Euros per person.  

NOTE: The Cinque Terre train does not have assigned cars/seats. And no one was checking tickets either.

Notes from my experience:

Here's some notes specific to my day excursion in Cinque Terre, in random order:

• I departed the ship at 9am for the option 1 train, departing at 9:52am. It was the perfect amount of time. If you choose this train, don't disembark the ship any later than 9am, you'll be cutting it too close.
  • I did not purchase any of the train tickets in advance and had no issues purchasing tickets on the spot. However, other VV sailors did pre-purchase, and I did hear stories of the trains selling out in the summer months when it's peak tourist season.
  • One group of VV sailors had purchased flexible tickets online prior, and they ended up changing the train time, and because they had the flexible tickets, they had no issues getting tickets for a different train time.
  • There are lots of tunnels between La Spezia and the Cinque Terre towns. That's why the train is so much faster than driving, because the train can go direct while the cars have to wind around the mountains.
  • The Cinque Terre trains did not run on time. None of them. Even by Noon that day, the train was running a full 20 min behind schedule.
  • It took me a full two hours to get back to the ship. I left Cinque Terre at 4pm. That included the Cinque Terre train to La Spezia, the train from La Spezia to Carrara-Avenza, the bus to the city stop near the port, walking to the VV shuttle bus, the shuttle bus to the ship, and loading back on the ship and getting to my room. Pro Tip: Don't cut it too close and give yourself enough buffer time to get back without being rushed.
  • Interestingly, my room was directly above the embark/disembark spot on the ship, so I could see everyone getting on/off the ship. There were about five groups of people that were late getting back to the ship. The VV crew was standing outside waiting for them, calling them on the phone to find out where they were. The last pair boarded 20 min late, and the ship set sail immediately after they boarded.
  • Cinque Terre train - at 32.50 Euros, I thought this was rather pricy. Plan ahead if you really need to buy this all-day pass, or if you can simply purchase a 10 Euros single train ticket.
  • Cinque Terre train - these trains were SO FULL of people! I honestly have no idea how everyone fit on the train, but we did. There was no room to move around, and certainly no time for anyone working for the train to be checking tickets in between the stops, since it was only 4 mins between each Cinque Terre town.
  • Return train from La Spezia Centrale to Carrara-Avenza was 3.90 Euros (cheap!), no assigned car/seats, and no one checked our ticket.
  • Cinque Terre in July - these towns ARE PACKED WITH TOURISTS! Not just hundreds of people, but thousands. And it's hot. If you don't like crowds, this is not the place for you. The towns weren't just busy with cruise ship passengers, there were so many people on holiday visiting the area too - so put those two together and you get really big crowds.
  • There are two train stations in La Spezia, Centrale and the M station. It seems Centrale is the main one, but do check the schedule to make sure you know which station the train is going to.
  • On the return, when you get to Carrara-Avenza train station, you can either take bus #52 back to the same bus stop near the port, or flag a taxi and have them drive you back to port. I saw a lot of VV sailors just grab a taxi because they didn't want to wait for the bus. And I don't think they called for a taxi, there were just a couple in the area that they flagged down. If you take the bus back, look for the bus stop that's across the street from the train station (to make sure you are going the correct direction), it's a different bus stop than the drop off spot in the morning.
  • City bus back to port - I never saw any signage at the bus stops saying the name of the bus stop, nor were there on board announcements. We had to open Google maps and follow along ourselves to know which stop to exit. That said, the entire bus was full of VV sailors, so just follow the crowds is good advice. But nevertheless, I would have had no idea which bus stop to get off at without using Google on my own.
  • City bus tickets - same as the morning bus, purchase your ticket when you get on board the bus. Use credit/debit card. They don't give you a ticket/receipt. In my case, the bus was PACKED full and I entered the bus on the side entrance, not at the front near the driver. The bus was so full, that I couldn't reach the front to pay for my ticket. So I didn't pay, at least until the city ticket checkers came to the back and asked for our tickets. I simply gave him my debit card to pay, and there were no issues. One group of VV sailors was arguing with the ticket checker, saying that he had already purchased a ticket, but the ticket taker said he hadn't. Again - no printed tickets so I have no idea how you could prove that you paid. But the VV sailor was defiant and did not pay. The ticket taker threatened him to pay the fine, and then threatened to call the city police. I'm not sure what ended up happening, as we got off at our stop while this was still lingering on.
  • Returning to the ship with alcohol - I purchased a bottle of liquor while in Cinque Terre. When I re-boarded the ship, it went through the scanner and I was told to simply drop it off once inside the ship. It's very easy to bring back alcohol to the ship, they don't mind - you just have to drop it off and collect it on the last night of the cruise.

My FAVORITE activity in Cinque Terre - Pesto Making in Vernazza

The best part of my excursion to Cinque Terre was a pesto making class in Vernazza. So much fun! Totally worth it!

Cinque Sensi Vernazza

Via Roma 71, Vernazza

https://5sensivernazza.com/

• Pesto making in a mortar
  • Winetasting of 3 different Cinque Terre local wines
  • Olive oil tasting of 3 different Ligurian EVOO oils
  • Focaccia, bread, cheese
  • Limoncino and chocolate
  • 60€ per person

This class started at 12:30pm. They also have later afternoon classes as well. It lasted the full two hours. You SHOULD make a reservation in advance - for me, I simply sent them an email about one week in advance and told them I would like to attend the 12:30 session for two people. I got a quick email response with a YES!, and that was it - easy! There is no online reservation tool or anything like that, so either send an email or a WhatsApp message. The place isn't that large, so I don't think they could fit more than 12 people in a class. In my session, there were a total of four of us.  At the end, you'll get a glass of limoncello, actually they call it limoncino because it's specially made in the region just for their shop. It was the best limoncello that I've ever had! I bought a bottle to take home with me. Also, this place is right next to the train station, super easy to get to!

Other things to do in Cinque Terre:

When I was researching and planning my excursion, these were the notes that I made. I did not do everything listed below (not even close), but wanted to share my notes in case it's helpful for anyone else.

Riomaggiore – the main street is Via Colombo, where you’ll find the majority of the village’s restaurants, bars, enotecas and artisanal gift shops. Make a point of walking its length - it really is beautifully picturesque.

• Church of San Giovanni Battista originally built in 1340 (but requiring a little makeover in the 19th century after a partial collapse), this Gothic church is worth popping your head into, but the lovely view of Riomaggiore offered from its small piazza is amazing.
  • Oratorio di Santa Maria Assunta, also known as Chiesa dalla Compagnia, this 16th century church near the castle is easily accessible from Via Colombo
  • Piazza Vignaioli is a popular spot for kids to play, this raised piazza offers a great view back on Via Colombo. Especially beautiful when the sun hits just right and illuminates the colorful buildings that line the street.
  • La Lampara is a nice little pizza and pasta spot with reasonable prices 

Thank you for your detailed report. Do we need passport to buy train tickets or can we use drivers license? Don’t like to carry passport with us. Thank you.

It is the law in Italy that you must have your passport on you and produce it when asked by police.  Vendors can refuse to sell to you if you don't have it.

You might be able to get around this by purchasing the Cinque Terre park and train pass on line here:  Cinque Terre Treno MS Card | Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre (parconazionale5terre.it)

2 hours ago, vkb2751 said:

Thank you for your detailed report. Do we need passport to buy train tickets or can we use drivers license? Don’t like to carry passport with us. Thank you.

@euro cruiser has a great point, but if you are absolutely refusing to bring your passport off the ship, you can buy some train tickets in advance on line, or at machines in the station. Neither would require a passport.

I would bring my passport.

20 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@euro cruiser has a great point, but if you are absolutely refusing to bring your passport off the ship, you can buy some train tickets in advance on line, or at machines in the station. Neither would require a passport.

I would bring my passport.

Thank you and @euro cruiser. Will get tickets ahead of time and bring passport.

10 hours ago, Red in Arizona said:

Monterosso – has an “old” side and a “new” side. Stay on the old side, also called Borgo Antico, for the historical and beautiful streets and shops.

Just be aware that the train station in Monterosso is in the "new" side, about a 10 minute walk from the "old" side along the waterfront street.  The ferry dock is in the "old" side, but just a few steps from the "new" side.