Liberty OTS - short review (9/7/2024-5 night Bermuda)

We live in NJ, so we like to hop on a cruise going out of Bayonne to avoid the airport nightmares and costs.  For us, the parking is much more economical then paying exorbitant prices for r/t flights to Florida.  Having said that, it seems NJ gets stuck with the Royal ships in need of dry dock renovations, including the Liberty. 

This is not to say the Liberty isn't a pretty ship; it is - it's just ... aged.  This was most noticeable with the carpeting in the hallways and other common areas.  Our cabin, 8226 (8th deck forward, 4B category) had some age related issues.  The balcony floor had many "repaired" areas, leading to curled up edges of whatever that material is that they use.  It was aesthetics really, and not a functional problem.  The bathroom, was fine except it made a strange sound the entire time (couldn't hear it with the door shut, thankfully) - it was a high pitched sound whether the light/fan was on or off.  The drain did very loud gurgling once in awhile.  The cabin itself was just worn in spots (i.e., a closet door that had a bad hinge and wouldn't stay fully closed).  Older, small TV (low definition).  The common areas were okay but again, aged in places.  The pool lounges were uncomfortable but with enough towels, we made it work (for lower back support and to pad the bar where your butt sits).

As always, there were chair hogs and the Solarium ran out of chairs quickly; we know this is how it is, so we get up EARLY to secure spots, then taking turns getting breakfast, coffee, etc.  We don't "reserve" with towels and walk away for hours like so many.  It's just not right in our view.  This is just not very relaxing at all and I wish there were another way, but there just is not.

Windjammer was a hot mess for breakfast and sometimes lunch.  This is where the bigger ships are nice (i.e., Oasis class having some alternatives, like the Solarium Cafe).  

The staff were all to be commended.  We had some hiccups the first night in the MDR for dinner; but we just asked for a new table and it was WONDERFUL service after that.  The food quality was not nearly as bad as I was anticipating.  I don't think dinner feels that much "shorter" with the revised menus.  All the rest - stateroom attendant, bartenders, etc. were wonderful as well.  

I do try to keep in mind that cruising has changed, a lot, from when we first started (1997).  Some things worse, some things better.  We've learned to adjust with the times, but some things we observe/witness today would likely not have happened many years ago.  

The vibe on this particular cruise was very friendly and we did meet some really nice folks - both young and old.  

The only excursion we did was The Restless Native Catamaran - we reserved it ourselves, rather than through Royal.  They did a really nice job and we had a lot of fun and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a relaxing few hours to enjoy the water (they provide snorkels, kayaks, SUPs) and because it wasn't a "Royal" excursion, we were allowed to do some other things the cruise line wouldn't permit (like cliff jumping).  We would do this again.

This is our 3rd trip to Bermuda via cruise and we'll go again.  I'm just not sure why Royal can't use their bigger ships for a Bermuda cruise. I am sure there's a reason - I don't think they'd have an issue selling them.  

P.S.  This was the only cruise we ever booked at GTY balcony and we ended up very forward; I was really nervous about this as I read just how much movement there is being that forward.  I have to say, neither of us felt it was any different than other cruises, and there was quite a bit of movement (ship wide) on the first full sea day.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, birdlord said:

I'm just not sure why Royal can't use their bigger ships for a Bermuda cruise. I am sure there's a reason - I don't think they'd have an issue selling them.  

Quantum class has visited Bermuda, but for the past several years Cape Liberty's Quantum ship has spent May to October in Europe.

It's my understanding that Oasis class is too big to navigate the channel into the Dockyard.

We were on the same cruise and I did my short review a few hours earlier.  We were in cabin 9542 near the front elevators.  It was one of the last three 4D cabins you were able to pick with my TA.  Other than a long walk to the back, we were very happy with the cabin.  Very little movement or noise.  Yes, the carpeting on the balcony was torn in some places but it was okay and pretty big for a regular balcony.

I was on the 4 night in August and  reviewed it previously in the Ship Review section.  I found the ship old and worn - we had major balcony issues.  However, I agree that overall the staff were very gracious and helpful. Apparently some had just come over  from Costa Cruise Line and were happy to be on RCCL.   And the food in Giovanni's was some of the best we have had on any cruise. 

20 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

And the food in Giovanni's was some of the best we have had on any cruise. 

It's funny you say this; a group of guys on their bachelor party cruise mentioned to us they went to Giovanni's and were pleased (but were NOT pleased with the MDR)... everyone but one opted for Giovanni's filet as they had been told it's better than CHOPS (which IIRC I have heard too)... they absolutely confirmed that.  We usually do specialty dining on cruises, but opted not to this time due to only a couple restaurants to pick from.  We played with the idea to reserve for the final night (Caribbean night menu is the worst for us) but fortunately we did not as hubby was really suffering with indigestion and we didn't even go to MDR that night. 😞

2 hours ago, birdlord said:

We live in NJ, so we like to hop on a cruise going out of Bayonne to avoid the airport nightmares and costs.  For us, the parking is much more economical then paying exorbitant prices for r/t flights to Florida.  Having said that, it seems NJ gets stuck with the Royal ships in need of dry dock renovations, including the Liberty. 

This is not to say the Liberty isn't a pretty ship; it is - it's just ... aged.  This was most noticeable with the carpeting in the hallways and other common areas.  Our cabin, 8226 (8th deck forward, 4B category) had some age related issues.  The balcony floor had many "repaired" areas, leading to curled up edges of whatever that material is that they use.  It was aesthetics really, and not a functional problem.  The bathroom, was fine except it made a strange sound the entire time (couldn't hear it with the door shut, thankfully) - it was a high pitched sound whether the light/fan was on or off.  The drain did very loud gurgling once in awhile.  The cabin itself was just worn in spots (i.e., a closet door that had a bad hinge and wouldn't stay fully closed).  Older, small TV (low definition).  The common areas were okay but again, aged in places.  The pool lounges were uncomfortable but with enough towels, we made it work (for lower back support and to pad the bar where your butt sits).

As always, there were chair hogs and the Solarium ran out of chairs quickly; we know this is how it is, so we get up EARLY to secure spots, then taking turns getting breakfast, coffee, etc.  We don't "reserve" with towels and walk away for hours like so many.  It's just not right in our view.  This is just not very relaxing at all and I wish there were another way, but there just is not.

Windjammer was a hot mess for breakfast and sometimes lunch.  This is where the bigger ships are nice (i.e., Oasis class having some alternatives, like the Solarium Cafe).  

The staff were all to be commended.  We had some hiccups the first night in the MDR for dinner; but we just asked for a new table and it was WONDERFUL service after that.  The food quality was not nearly as bad as I was anticipating.  I don't think dinner feels that much "shorter" with the revised menus.  All the rest - stateroom attendant, bartenders, etc. were wonderful as well.  

I do try to keep in mind that cruising has changed, a lot, from when we first started (1997).  Some things worse, some things better.  We've learned to adjust with the times, but some things we observe/witness today would likely not have happened many years ago.  

The vibe on this particular cruise was very friendly and we did meet some really nice folks - both young and old.  

The only excursion we did was The Restless Native Catamaran - we reserved it ourselves, rather than through Royal.  They did a really nice job and we had a lot of fun and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a relaxing few hours to enjoy the water (they provide snorkels, kayaks, SUPs) and because it wasn't a "Royal" excursion, we were allowed to do some other things the cruise line wouldn't permit (like cliff jumping).  We would do this again.

This is our 3rd trip to Bermuda via cruise and we'll go again.  I'm just not sure why Royal can't use their bigger ships for a Bermuda cruise. I am sure there's a reason - I don't think they'd have an issue selling them.  

P.S.  This was the only cruise we ever booked at GTY balcony and we ended up very forward; I was really nervous about this as I read just how much movement there is being that forward.  I have to say, neither of us felt it was any different than other cruises, and there was quite a bit of movement (ship wide) on the first full sea day.

Thanks for posting!  I’m on the same sailing next Saturday.

The steak in Giovanni's was amazing- one of the best I have  had on RCCL on any cruise.    And  it was far superior to the one in Chops or at Chef's Table on that cruise.  We  ran into some guys we met  the second night of the cruise  in Chops on the   third night at Giovanni's ( we ate there night one also as  we  only do specialty when we cruise for dinner- just our preference), and they also hated Chops and loved the food at Giovanni's.  I think the restaurant may be  underrated.  My daughter is a very picky eater and she loved it too.    And Carolyn, our server, was exceptional.