Onboard credit

Taclin01

No, you can't use OBC before sailing.

What you can do, is purchase the specialty dining, and pay for it, now.  Once onboard, you can go to Guest Services and ask them to credit the amount paid prior to the cruise to your onboard account and then charge the dining to the same account.  If you have non refundable OBC, then this will be used first and any amounts that you paid will be paid back after the cruise (assuming you're in a net credit position).

• Like 1

As someone who is new to cruising (only our 2nd cruise) and comparing HAL to Carnival, one thing I find very frustrating about HAL is the inability to use OBC I know I have and HAL representatives acknowledge they can see the OBC to reserve dining prior to departure.  If this is correct (and I admit I could be missing something here), this is going to create a needless strain once onboard as a lot passengers attempt to make reservations at a point in time which I assume is the first (earliest) they could use OBC - is that correct? 

If you are referring to Have It All (HIA) dining credits, they can be booked before sailing.  Regular OBC can't be used to make reservations before sailing.  Many people book and pay for dining or shore excursions prior to sailing then get the charges reversed when they get on the ship and use their OBC for the dining/excursions.  You must get this done at the guest services for dining and shore excursion desk for that prior to the service.

Good luck and have fun!

~Nancy

• Like 3

Thank you @oakridger - I will be sure to do this after we board (and this question was in regard to dining at Tamarind).  Do I need anything other than the receipt for the original charge (and the CC) in order to make this as easy as possible?  

Knowledge is good!

Edited by bbodb1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bbodb1 said:

Thank you @oakridger - I will be sure to do this after we board (and this question was in regard to dining at Tamarind).  Do I need anything other than the receipt for the original charge (and the CC) in order to make this as easy as possible?  

Knowledge is good!

You really shouldn't need anything. They have the reservation already, and the credit will go to your onboard account as a refundable credit. Whatever non refundable OBC you have will be used first to cover your expenses and anything left will be refunded to the card on file at the end of your cruise.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, rolfecms said:

Is it ever cheaper to make specialty restaurant reservations before the cruise?

No- no discount for reserving pre cruise.

They used to do some packages that would save a few dollars but that stopped around the time they started offering HIA with included speciality dining. 

2 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

No- no discount for reserving pre cruise.

They used to do some packages that would save a few dollars but that stopped around the time they started offering HIA with included speciality dining. 

ok thanks

Having just completed my first HAL cruise, I can say that the line's approach to OBC is really inefficient if it means that people are opting to go to guest relations or shore excursions once onboard to undo pre-paid reservations and switch them to OBC. On this particular (full) cruise, there were always very long lines for guest relations, internet help, etc. Not a great way to spend time on the ship. IMHO HAL should rethink its approach to OBC.

That said, it didn't affect my overall experience on the cruise (which was great) and the specialty dining I tried (Pinnacle and Tamarind) was excellent.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2024 at 5:31 PM, oakridger said:

If you are referring to Have It All (HIA) dining credits, they can be booked before sailing.  Regular OBC can't be used to make reservations before sailing.  Many people book and pay for dining or shore excursions prior to sailing then get the charges reversed when they get on the ship and use their OBC for the dining/excursions.  You must get this done at the guest services for dining and shore excursion desk for that prior to the service.

Good luck and have fun!

~Nancy

Is the booking a specialty restaurant reservation online cheaper than after boarding the ship?