Cash or credit card

Tina80

Credit cards are widely accepted in Europe including in Italy, Greece and Turkey. You can either get a small amount of Euros from a local ATM in Europe (I always try to use an ATM at a bank which is open in case of any problem) or from home before you leave (there may be a minimum amount to order). You should not need a large sum of cash since you will be able to use your credit card at most places but I like to have cash to buy small purchases such as gelato or snacks at supermarkets and shops or at local markets. You will need €1.00 coins to pay for public restrooms (some may take a credit card but many do not) so keep a supply of coins at the ready. 

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Credit cards are widely accepted in Europe including in Italy, Greece and Turkey. You can either get a small amount of Euros from a local ATM in Europe (I always try to use an ATM at a bank which is open in case of any problem) or from home before you leave (there may be a minimum amount to order). You should not need a large sum of cash since you will be able to use your credit card at most places but I like to have cash to buy small purchases such as gelato or snacks at supermarkets and shops or at local markets. You will need €1.00 coins to pay for public restrooms (some may take a credit card but many do not) so keep a supply of coins at the ready. 

Very helpful, thanks much. I know this really depends on each individual but if I have all the excursions already booked and paid for, and we just would like to explore the city and maybe get on the bus to the port. how much do you approx. would you suggest I take with me in Euros? Thank you

2 hours ago, Tina80 said:

Very helpful, thanks much. I know this really depends on each individual but if I have all the excursions already booked and paid for, and we just would like to explore the city and maybe get on the bus to the port. how much do you approx. would you suggest I take with me in Euros? Thank you

I personally take around €100 (I usually have left over Euros from a previous trip) in smaller denominations as it can be difficult to use €50 notes at small shops or at a market. If I need more I then use a local ATM attached to a bank. Some people don't use any cash but it really depends on your spending habits when on vacation and I always like to have cash with me. 

The port shuttle at Civitavecchia costs €6.00 each paid to the driver as they do not accept credit cards. You can buy a combined train and port shuttle ticket but I always buy them separately in case we decide to walk or get a taxi at Civitavecchia. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

I personally take around €100 (I usually have left over Euros from a previous trip) in smaller denominations as it can be difficult to use €50 notes at small shops or at a market. If I need more I then use a local ATM attached to a bank. Some people don't use any cash but it really depends on your spending habits when on vacation and I always like to have cash with me. 

The port shuttle at Civitavecchia costs €6.00 each paid to the driver as they do not accept credit cards. You can buy a combined train and port shuttle ticket but I always buy them separately in case we decide to walk or get a taxi at Civitavecchia. 

Thank you for your reply, very helpful

We agree with CruiserBruce, that both Visa and MC are widely accepted.  However, fifty years of extensive travel have taught me to be prepared for the exceptions, and this does happen.  There are still some places/vendors that do not accept credit cards (especially in parts of Italy) and other places might offer a nice discount if you pay in Euros.  The other issue is that you may find yourself at a shop or restaurant when their card reader fails.  If this happens and you do not have enough cash, you might need to run out to the closest ATM (for which you need an ATM/Debit card that works).  Our personal rule is to always carry enough cash (Euros) to cover a tab (especially in restaurants) just in case.

It is always wise to notify your issuing bank and credit card company of your upcoming trip.  This helps avoid any possible security issue due to the unusual use of your card in a foreign land.  Some cards no longer want this information but if you are not aware of their current policy, given them a call.  We recently ran into this situation (2 weeks ago) while shopping in Rhodes Town (Greece).  DW bought an outfit and I handed the clerk my Visa.  The Visa reader failed.  We could have waited a few minutes (hoping the system came back online) but I had enough Euros to cover the cost.  The clerk was grateful and countered with a nice discount (for cash).

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We agree with CruiserBruce, that both Visa and MC are widely accepted.  However, fifty years of extensive travel have taught me to be prepared for the exceptions, and this does happen.  There are still some places/vendors that do not accept credit cards (especially in parts of Italy) and other places might offer a nice discount if you pay in Euros.  The other issue is that you may find yourself at a shop or restaurant when their card reader fails.  If this happens and you do not have enough cash, you might need to run out to the closest ATM (for which you need an ATM/Debit card that works).  Our personal rule is to always carry enough cash (Euros) to cover a tab (especially in restaurants) just in case.

It is always wise to notify your issuing bank and credit card company of your upcoming trip.  This helps avoid any possible security issue due to the unusual use of your card in a foreign land.  Some cards no longer want this information but if you are not aware of their current policy, given them a call.  We recently ran into this situation (2 weeks ago) while shopping in Rhodes Town (Greece).  DW bought an outfit and I handed the clerk my Visa.  The Visa reader failed.  We could have waited a few minutes (hoping the system came back online) but I had enough Euros to cover the cost.  The clerk was grateful and countered with a nice discount (for cash).

Hank

Hank, thank you for your helpful reply. And also cor the reminder to call the credit card company. How much do you usually take with you for a two week vacation assuming you have all your excursions and tours paid for but will be visiting Rome and Milan for a couoke of days each?

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

Hank, thank you for your helpful reply. And also cor the reminder to call the credit card company. How much do you usually take with you for a two week vacation assuming you have all your excursions and tours paid for but will be visiting Rome and Milan for a couoke of days each?

We get all of our cash via ATM and normally have 3 different ATM/Debit cards each drawn on a different account in a different bank.  This gives us back up in case a card gets lost, stolen or compromised.  As to how much one needs, it will vary by person and spending patterns.  On trips that just involve cruise ports, we normally do not spend much other than restaurant meals.  On our longer European trips (we do not generally take tours) we might be talking thousands of Euros since we may need to pay cash for rental properties.   With private apartment rentals, not everyone will accept a credit card. 

Cruisers who only book cruise line or pre-paid private excursions may not need much cash unless they are big time shoppers.  Since we are very independent travelers (I sometimes refer to "tour" as a 4 letter word that we avoid) our need for cash/credit cards may be a lot more than folks who rely on excursions.

Hank

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The other issue is that you may find yourself at a shop or restaurant when their card reader fails.

My experience has always been that if you tell them you have no cash then the machine suddenly starts working again, and that it 'failed' in the first place is likely due to their preference for cash and how they are funding this - 

and other places might offer a nice discount if you pay in Euros

• Haha 1

I typically take an abundance of euros just because, but I rarely spend them. I took $700 recently and came home with $500. Everything goes on credit card unless it's a small amount like a random bottles of water, coffee or a snack that only costs a few euro. I usually know my cash costs ahead of time and for things like train tickets I find easiest to buy through the apps. Small denominations and coins are far more conveneint than larger bills. It's also handy to have a zipper coin wallet so you don't have stray coins floating all over the bottom of your bag. I never use one in the states but in Europe I use one all the time. 

We get all of our cash via ATM and normally have 3 different ATM/Debit cards each drawn on a different account in a different bank.  This gives us back up in case a card gets lost, stolen or compromised.  As to how much one needs, it will vary by person and spending patterns.  On trips that just involve cruise ports, we normally do not spend much other than restaurant meals.  On our longer European trips (we do not generally take tours) we might be talking thousands of Euros since we may need to pay cash for rental properties.   With private apartment rentals, not everyone will accept a credit card. 

Cruisers who only book cruise line or pre-paid private excursions may not need much cash unless they are big time shoppers.  Since we are very independent travelers (I sometimes refer to "tour" as a 4 letter word that we avoid) our need for cash/credit cards may be a lot more than folks who rely on excursions.

Hank

Thanks much, I really appreciate your help. Especially the tip regarding taking multiple credit cards with us.

8 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

Especially the tip regarding taking multiple credit cards with us.

And if you can, add one or more to your phone so you can pay contactlessly - everywhere in Europe takes contactless payments.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

And if you can, add one or more to your phone so you can pay contactlessly - everywhere in Europe takes contactless payments.

Such a brilliant idea, I have Apple pay added, hope that works. Thank you

2 hours ago, Tina80 said:

Thanks much, I really appreciate your help. Especially the tip regarding taking multiple credit cards with us.

We always suggest that folks think "personal security."  Having multiple major credit cards and multiple ATM/Debit cards should be considered a necessity for those of us who spend a significant amount of time out of the country.   Folks should also try to minimize the times they carry those items in a single place (such as a wallet).  When we are traveling, we try to keep most of our cards, and other documents such as our Passports, locked-up in a secure safe.  When we go out for the day, we normally carry only a single credit card, a single ATM/Debit card.  It is a commonsense security solution which gives us some level of protection in case we were victims of personal theft or loss.  In the unlikely scenario where we would lose everything on our person, we still have adequate back-up un the hotel or cruise ship safe.

Hank

• Like 1