Fish & Chips on Celebrity Ascent & Beyond (Edge class)

Kordy

6 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Which establishment in Stirling did you visit? I’m planning a trip for next summer. 

image.thumb.png.ef2be8aee2bd557ecc7efde02e4faee9.png

Nories and apologies it is in Oban not Stirling!  I also highly recommend spending some time walking around Oban, it’s a lovely town with a small but informative and artifact filled WWII museum.

Edited by Liao

3 minutes ago, Liao said:

image.thumb.png.ef2be8aee2bd557ecc7efde02e4faee9.png

Nories and apologies it is in Oban not Stirling!  I also highly recommend spending some time walking around Oban, it’s a lovely town with a small but informative and artifact filled WWII museum.

Thank you so much, we are planning to stay at least 2 nights in Oban. I’ll make a note to visit Nories!

Just off Apex and the fish and chips in both the main restaurant and the buffet were abosolutely terrible.

Tiny pieces of fish cooked in vegetable oil at far too low a temperature and not for long enough so the too thick batter was like sponge cake and uncooked in the middle.  Served with 6 chips in Tuscan restaurant (which was a theme as the steak and chips also had 6 chips).

Truly awful, avoid at all costs.

19 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Just off Apex and the fish and chips in both the main restaurant and the buffet were abosolutely terrible.

Tiny pieces of fish cooked in vegetable oil at far too low a temperature and not for long enough so the too thick batter was like sponge cake and uncooked in the middle.  Served with 6 chips in Tuscan restaurant (which was a theme as the steak and chips also had 6 chips).

Truly awful, avoid at all costs.

Wow. It's not that hard to make decent fish & chips. Come on Celebrity!

On the Ascent last week, "afternoon tea" was served in the buffet starting at 3:30pm.  The offered tiny little scones (plain & raisin) with butter, jams, whipped cream & clotted cream.  They also had a small assortment of finger sandwiches and some other sweets, like donuts & chocolate croissants.  I didn't see tea offered in the main dining rooms at all, but to be fair, I wasn't really looking

6 minutes ago, budbo said:

On the Ascent last week, "afternoon tea" was served in the buffet starting at 3:30pm.  The offered tiny little scones (plain & raisin) with butter, jams, whipped cream & clotted cream.  They also had a small assortment of finger sandwiches and some other sweets, like donuts & chocolate croissants.  I didn't see tea offered in the main dining rooms at all, but to be fair, I wasn't really looking

This is great !!!  was afternoon tea, on Ascent, every day at 3:30pm?

I wonder if this is only happening because the Ascent is currently doing European itineraries. When it moves to USA in October (Fort Lauderdale), this may go away?  I wonder.

On 9/18/2024 at 3:19 PM, Kordy said:

Wow. It's not that hard to make decent fish & chips. Come on Celebrity!

It is if they do not have fresh fish. I mean fish that was never frozen - all the fish on the ship arrives frozen. Some frozen fish is 100% fine but not Atlantic cod or haddock. They tend to be lean with a high water content and never taste the same if frozen.  On the ship the taste/texture reminds me of frozen fish sticks. 

I enjoy my local fried haddock sandwich - really great but different than fish and chips in the UK. We break off that tail piece as a separate treat while waiting for the thicker part in the bun to cool down a bit.

d7b859e0-3596-45a7-b33d-2ea2ea58126b.thumb.jpeg.c32e2eef244c2717d543ac1716780ac6.jpeg

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

It is if they do not have fresh fish. I mean fish that was never frozen - all the fish on the ship arrives frozen. Some frozen fish is 100% fine but not Atlantic cod or haddock. They tend to be lean with a high water content and never taste the same if frozen.  On the ship the taste/texture reminds me of frozen fish sticks. 

I enjoy my local fried haddock sandwich - really great but different than fish and chips in the UK. We break off that tail piece as a separate treat while waiting for the thicker part in the bun to cool down a bit.

d7b859e0-3596-45a7-b33d-2ea2ea58126b.thumb.jpeg.c32e2eef244c2717d543ac1716780ac6.jpeg

I was on a Cunard cruise, not long ago, from NYC and I had fish & chips in their Golden Lion pub on-board and I must say that it was pretty decent.  Since this ship was departing from NYC, the cod fish must have been frozen and yet somehow, they made the fish & chips taste quite good.  Maybe Cunard have more experienced fish & chips cooks?