Queen Elizabeth Menu & Entertainment Changes + Grills Proposition Review

DukeBeetle24

I *think* this is allowed to be posted, apologies in advance @Host Hattie if not (please delete if not), but direct links to sources readily accessible online read as okay in guidelines.

Some interesting tidbits from Katie Mcalister's blog regarding Queen Elizabeth's homeporting to North America and the changes being made to entertainment and the drinks and menu partnerships. Some references to Queen Anne's improving NPS. A mention of the 185th Anniversary in Liverpool. Some more love for Queen Victoria (I wonder if @Victoria2 had some sway in this), and I thought most interesting of all - a review of the Grills proposition to guests. Could this be an expansion to make it more akin to "ship within a ship" or perhaps they're going all in along the lines of Explora for those in suites with WiFi etc... 

https://theinsider.carnivalukgroup.com/post/2024/09/katies-blog-september-2024/

Edited by DukeBeetle24
Correction.
  • Thanks 1

I hope they don’t attempt to over-Americanize QE for the Miami sailings.

As an American I enjoy the British overtones in the food as something different from HAL and Celebrity.

And I would assume (and hope) a large percent of Caribbean passengers will still be from the UK.

• Like 3

Just now, foodsvcmgr said:

As an American I enjoy the British overtones in the food as something different from HAL and Celebrity.

And I would assume (and hope) a large percent of Caribbean passengers will still be from the UK.

I think they'll lean more into locally sourced ingredients / dishes more than removing the British overtones. Guess we'll find out soon enough when she homeports to North America!

1 hour ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

I *think* this is allowed to be posted, apologies in advance @Host Hattie if not (please delete if not), but direct links to sources readily accessible online read as okay in guidelines.

Some interesting tidbits from Katie Mcalister's blog regarding Queen Elizabeth's homeporting to North America and the changes being made to entertainment and the drinks and menu partnerships. Some references to Queen Anne's improving NPS. A mention of the 185th Anniversary in Liverpool. Some more love for Queen Victoria (I wonder if @Victoria2 had some sway in this), and I thought most interesting of all - a review of the Grills proposition to guests. Could this be an expansion to make it more akin to "ship within a ship" or perhaps they're going all in along the lines of Explora for those in suites with WiFi etc... 

https://theinsider.carnivalukgroup.com/post/2024/09/katies-blog-september-2024/

If I had any sway, Victoria would be home porting in Southampton!!☹️

I wonder what 'Grills proposition' might entail!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Thank you... we have never liked QUEEN ELIZABETH frankly but I fancy combining a few of her ex-Miami cruises IF she is not "Americanised" and is another variant of "Cunard Lite" when it comes to dressing, entertainment etc.  And no, we sure don't need another Holland America Line.

Odd, though, this sudden interest in the Grills.... sorry, but I don't see a single real improvement in the Grill experience or facilities with QUEEN ANNE. Indeed, the complete hash they made of the Grill lounge, arrangement of the QG restaurant, lack of full baths in Princess suites (not to mention smaller in size and hanging space), the location of the Grills deck ect makes one think Cunard had given up on the Grill concept or didn't even care.  It most certainly has no appeal to us  as regular Grill passengers judged from videos or reviews. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

If I had any sway, Victoria would be home porting in Southampton!!☹️

I wonder what 'Grills proposition' might entail!

I'm intrigued to find out, I'll keep an eye out for the next Katie blog!

I think it's easy to read into the comments regarding Queen Victoria's loyal fan base when she was homeported to Southampton. I am looking forward to experiencing her twice in the next twelve months though!

4 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Thank you... we have never liked QUEEN ELIZABETH frankly but I fancy combining a few of her ex-Miami cruises IF she is not "Americanised" and is another variant of "Cunard Lite" when it comes to dressing, entertainment etc.  And no, we sure don't need another Holland America Line.

Odd, though, this sudden interest in the Grills.... sorry, but I don't see a single real improvement in the Grill experience or facilities with QUEEN ANNE. Indeed, the complete hash they made of the Grill lounge, arrangement of the QG restaurant, lack of full baths in Princess suites (not to mention smaller in size and hanging space), the location of the Grills deck ect makes one think Cunard had given up on the Grill concept or didn't even care.  It most certainly has no appeal to us  as regular Grill passengers judged from videos or reviews. 

Those are fair, and valid feelings to have. Ultimately though, none of us know it means until it happens.

At a guess, it would be making Grills more inclusive - similar to Explora Journeys but in Cunard's own way. We can but wait and see!

Well that would be nice but to be honest, they don't have to do much to spur grill bookings on QV frankly.  We were lucky to grab a guarantee Q3 on her from Barcelona to Southampton sailing on the 30th of this month but waitlisted to take her Med-UK in Oct 25 and booked her long West Indies cruise for Jan 2026 as soon as it was released.  We are not the only ones who "go where she goes" apparently. If anything, she seems more popular than ever... wonder why?!  I could not possibly comment. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Well that would be nice but to be honest, they don't have to do much to spur grill bookings on QV frankly.  We were lucky to grab a guarantee Q3 on her from Barcelona to Southampton sailing on the 30th of this month but waitlisted to take her Med-UK in Oct 25 and booked her long West Indies cruise for Jan 2026 as soon as it was released.  We are not the only ones who "go where she goes" apparently. If anything, she seems more popular than ever... wonder why?!  I could not possibly comment. 

And I hope you enjoy your voyages on her, I look forward to experiencing her myself.

It seems with the demand they've got, there are enough Queens for all passengers.

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

'The Grills' encompasses a wide range of cabins and I have no idea what your experience is but ours is all QG on the Vistas with a cruise in most categories and now Queen Anne so I think we could be said to be on nodding terms with the product.

We love the refurbished 1s on QV, having stayed on decks 6and 7 and are totally impressed and are looking forward to booking them again one day but, Queen Anne is just as good for utilisation of space and facilities, if not better. The only thing Victoria has over Queen Anne is the semi open aft balcony and I do like the decor, but QA has the mid ships position so even Stevens there.

Same for the Vista 2s. No comparison. QA's might be slightly smaller but the consideration given to the outlay blows the Vista 2s out of the water. QA beats them hands down.

QA's lounge isn't as visual as her Vista sisters but many folk use it so it can't be all that bad and as for the QG restaurant, there are folk who apparently  quite like the banquette and as for us, we liked tghe restaurant. It's not as traditionally elegant as her sisters but, it fits in with the QA decor.

The Grills deck is great, if a little open to the winds and once teething issues are ironed out, I'm sure everyone will be delighted with it.

We are still QV'ers at heart but I can't agree the QA QG cabins we have experienced are in any way a let down and neither is the QG experience.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd have to think of all the Grill "experiences" we've done since 1993 starting with Britannia Grill in QE2 and Princess Grill (the original grill) on QE2; Queen's Grills (the original decor)  and Princess in QM2, Princess Grill on QE and QV gosh, it must be seven times or more.  

Princess Grill "suites" on QA are a total turn off from what I've seen... smaller in dimensions and ever smaller in feel, dark colours, filled with fussy decorative details (like stuck on permanent nick-knacks on the shelves!), no walk-in closet and surely half the hanging space of the Vista and QM2 and, the deal breaker for my wife, no bathtub.   And there is no comparing the lounges, either. Not to mention al fresco full dining on the Vistas.   

We will be going QG for the first time on QUEEN VICTORIA in... 10 days so looking forward to comparing but we've always been delighted with PG on her. And QG in QM2 in Jan 2025.

Glad you are satisfied with your Grill experience on QUEEN ANNE. But... not for us, thanks very much.  

• Like 1

We don't dine outside so al fresco dining isn't missed.

Yes, we are satisfied QA Queen Grillers and there are many of us but I understand it's not for everyone.

However, as in all things in life, from my own thoughts,  if an experience hasn't actually been...experienced, then opinions on the non experience aren't as relevant as from those who have, experienced the product.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I'd have to think of all the Grill "experiences" we've done since 1993 starting with Britannia Grill in QE2 and Princess Grill (the original grill) on QE2; Queen's Grills (the original decor)  and Princess in QM2, Princess Grill on QE and QV gosh, it must be seven times or more.  

Princess Grill "suites" on QA are a total turn off from what I've seen... smaller in dimensions and ever smaller in feel, dark colours, filled with fussy decorative details (like stuck on permanent nick-knacks on the shelves!), no walk-in closet and surely half the hanging space of the Vista and QM2 and, the deal breaker for my wife, no bathtub.   And there is no comparing the lounges, either. Not to mention al fresco full dining on the Vistas.   

We will be going QG for the first time on QUEEN VICTORIA in... 10 days so looking forward to comparing but we've always been delighted with PG on her. And QG in QM2 in Jan 2025.

Glad you are satisfied with your Grill experience on QUEEN ANNE. But... not for us, thanks very much.  

If the QG experience on the QV is as good as what we have had twice on the QE you will have a great trip.  We have also enjoyed PG twice on the QE and a few times on the QM2, but we are finished with it because of the lack of a proper shower.  My good lady simply can't handle those bath tubs.  The last time we were in PG on the QE I asked for a stool. It was provided and I had to sign a lengthy release promising to never sue the Carnival Corp. for any injury that might occur whilst using the stool. 

The QM2 has only a few  pricey QG suites that have a separate shower.  We enjoyed our two times in QG on the QM2 - both were upgrades, so I won't complain about anything else -  but we have since been very happy with the Britannia Club with its shower and modest fare.  Our two cruises in QG on the QE were  thoroughly enjoyable.  It has been about six weeks since we disembarked in Vancouver and I am still suffering withdrawal.

About the only aspects of the QA that appeal to us is the PG staterooms which have a shower.  Like the Vistas, all QG accommodation has a separate shower, but unlike the Vistas and the QM2 the tub is not a whirlpool tub so I wouldn't bother with it. 

12 hours ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

...At a guess, it would be making Grills more inclusive - similar to Explora Journeys but in Cunard's own way. We can but wait and see!

I don't know anything about Explora but the only inclusive service missing from our Cunard experience which would be appreciated, is included wi fi. Grats/service charges are already included for some so don't know if that would be a goer for all. 🙂

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't know anything about Explora but the only inclusive service missing from our Cunard experience which would be appreciated, is included wi fi. Grats/service charges are already included for some so don't know if that would be a goer for all. 🙂

Ah yes. WiFi is the obvious one, should also be relatively easy too. I suspect some of this "review" is how Grills is communicated and marketed more than actually changed.

I was more thinking out loud than giving it too much though (a fun distraction between work calls) - Grills is not something I shall get to experience myself for a while! 

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Two points I would make here;

1. Perhaps there should, in the first instance, be some alignment with the Grills' packages in the US and the UK - I believe that in the US there are packages/offers/inclusions for Grills passengers that we never see in the UK.

2. Be careful for what you wish - everything has a price with either increased fare or a reduction in standards/service.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, david63 said:

Two points I would make here;

1. Perhaps there should, in the first instance, be some alignment with the Grills' packages in the US and the UK - I believe that in the US there are packages/offers/inclusions for Grills passengers that we never see in the UK.

2. Be careful for what you wish - everything has a price with either increased fare or a reduction in standards/service.

I don't wish for any change. We're happy with the UK product as it is.🙂

That saying, if any changes are to be made, the wi fi charge is the only one which would interest us.

• Like 1

My guess of any changes starts with the addition of the North American Grills promo of Grats and a modified Drinks package included for all Grills pax. 
I wonder if Gary Bembridge’s recent YouTube video showing that, except for a bigger cabin and an elevated dining experience (he’s big on the latter and so am I) Cunard Grills falls short of the benefits offered by other premium lines is spurring some changes for Grills. These YouTube influencers have influence. 
I personally like that our Grills is less “in your face” vs other suite categories from others that segregate pax to the extreme. Cunard is the least segregated suite class line on the seas and I’m tired of the reading and seeing the same story of Cunard’s class system. 

• Like 2

I get so tired of this "steerage" and "class system" nonsense in relation to Cunard especially since the Grills are, with the exception of QA, far less of a "ship within a ship" concept that impacts the enjoyment of non premium passengers than others. 

Then again, odd that people accept, without a thought, flying in four-class completely segregated airliners with separate boarding etc.  And relish classes within classes when it comes to frequent flyer perks etc.  Everyone is or aspires to be Premium, Platinum, Executive etc. etc. so the idea that travel ought to be "classless" and hierarchies are somehow wicked or terrible is hypocritical nonsense.  I did like the woman in PG on QE a few years back who flashed her c. 2011 QM2 QG "priority tender" card to queue jump... proving classless travel does exist afterall.  And why you should never throw out anything.....

Edited by WantedOnVoyage

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

My guess of any changes starts with the addition of the North American Grills promo of Grats and a modified Drinks package included for all Grills pax. 
I wonder if Gary Bembridge’s recent YouTube video showing that, except for a bigger cabin and an elevated dining experience (he’s big on the latter and so am I) Cunard Grills falls short of the benefits offered by other premium lines is spurring some changes for Grills. These YouTube influencers have influence. 
I personally like that our Grills is less “in your face” vs other suite categories from others that segregate pax to the extreme. Cunard is the least segregated suite class line on the seas and I’m tired of the reading and seeing the same story of Cunard’s class system. 

As david63 suggested, be careful what is wished for.

I watch Gary's videos and he is very positive about QA's QG. In fact, he reckons QG is better than most premium lines and the food one of he best offerings at sea.. The 'elevated experiences' he mentions on other lines includes items we would not be interested in such as priority theatre bookings, priority shore excursions and 'other inclusions'.

Any really elevated 'experience', will cost. I don't know what premium lines offer as we haven't bothered finding other cruise lines to holiday with but I don't think Cunard QG should try and compete with other lines when the product they have seems to be niche and well received as it is.

Now differentiating more between QG and PG, well, that might be up for discussion too but I think both are doing pretty well and certainly not up to me to comment as we've never experienced PG.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I watch Gary's videos and he is very positive about QA's QG. In fact, he reckons QG is better than most premium lines and the food one of he best offerings at sea.. The 'elevated experiences' he mentions on other lines includes items we would not be interested in such as priority theatre bookings, priority shore excursions and 'other inclusions'.

Any really elevated 'experience', will cost. I don't know what premium lines offer as we haven't bothered finding other cruise lines to holiday with but I don't think Cunard QG should try and compete with other lines when the product they have seems to be niche and well received as it is.

Now differentiating more between QG and PG, well, that might be up for discussion too but I think both are doing pretty well and certainly not up to me to comment as we've never experienced PG.

I also think the size of the ship must make a difference. On a very large and frantic ship, with lots of queues, those priority things might be very appealing, but on Cunard ships, which are by modern standards medium and usually calm, there seems little point. I have been grateful for priority tendering though.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

As I stated before, I’d rather have the UK Grills offering of more OBC or cheaper fares than the NA promo of a “watered down” Drinks package and free grats (which some remove from anyway). Let me decide how I want to spend any benefits given to us. 
And I agree with @exlondoner that we don’t need a “ship within a ship” because we don’t have a madhouse setting onboard Cunard. DW was on a RCI cruise last year with friends in a non-suite cabin and couldn’t wait to get off that ship (5k pax and smoking from the casino affects much of the common indoor areas).
Plus, I believe the MSC Yacht Club, Celebrity Retreat, and Norwegian Haven are more expensive than the equivalent suite product on Cunard, because of more inclusions that not everyone needs or wants. 
With that said, Cunard should offer a uniformity of offerings for the global Grills market. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NE John said:

...With that said, Cunard should offer a uniformity of offerings for the global Grills market. 

From what I can glean over the years, Cunard doesn't have any kind of uniformity with its pricing structure UK/US so it would be interesting to see how any global offering would  be implemented.