Celebrity drinks packages… is anything actually included?

Kylevans123

Hi all,

I’m new to Celebrity and we have a cruise booked from Barcelona for 7 days in April next year. We are undecided whether to add the drinks package. I understand offers are available at certain times of the year so will hold out anyway but my question is around what is actually included without an additional charge. 

I understand that anything up to $10 is included on the Classic Package and anything over this you pay the difference plus tip. I’ve logged into the app and I’m able to see the onboard menus and prices. The only alcohol beverage listed at $10 or below is Bud Light. There is literally nothing else on any of the menus that would be included. The cheapest glass of wine is $12 (pinot Grigio) or the cheapest Sauvignon blanc is $18. Pool side bar there is one cocktail for $14 and the rest are either $18 or $20. A Heineken is even $11 so not fully included. Even a Peroni zero alcohol is $13 (!!). 

Does anyone have recent experience of a European sailing on Celebrity that could tell me whether my understanding above is correct. I would expect even a basic package to have more than 1 item that’s fully included. Other cruise lines I’ve been on the classic package usually has a wide selection of drinks (maybe 10 or 20) that’s included, with more expensive alcohol options being an additional charge. 

I’m by no means a cheapskate, whatever we’ll want on the day we’ll get whether it’s included or not. I’m just struggling to see the benefit of paying circa £850 ($1,150) for a ‘drinks package’ for there to be $5-$10 charge for each drink ordered. Are the menu prices on the app wrong? Surely no one would bother buying the classic package. We’re not big drinkers so it would be borderline whether it’s worth it for us, but it definitely wouldn’t be if there’s nothing to order without an additional charge.

If anyone has any insight I’d really appreciate it. 

Thanks 

The drink packages work as follows.  They are based on the alcohols included and not on specific drinks.  So forget the bar menus as they are suggestions from that bar and not limitations. You can order any drink you want as long as it can be made from the included alcohols.  The price limits are guidelines as to what the normal value of those drinks would be if ordered separately.  If a given ordered drink would exceed that limit, you would be charged the difference as a surcharge.  But if a drink can be made from the included alcohols and mixers then a surcharge is unlikely.  Note that UK and Australian sailings have different limit values than US sailings.

The classic package is more limited in its variety and selection of alcohols, most of which are essentially "well" liquors.  The premium package has a greater variety and selection and is primarily premium brands.  The different included branded beers, etc., are also shown.

As example, a gin and tonic from the classic package would include Beefeaters gin, whereas the same drink from the premium package would include Grey Goose.

Attached is a pdf that you can download that will show what alcohols each package includes so that you can decide the best fit for you.

Celebrity drink packages.pdf

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, many, many items are included! If you’d like a gin and tonic or margarita just ask and it’ll be made with whichever brand of alcohol your Classic package includes. If you have the premium package you’ll probably need to ask for a specific brand to make sure you’re getting the most from your upgraded package.

As far as wine goes, talk to your sommelier and they’ll have suggestions for wines that fit into your package. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The drink packages work as follows.  They are based on the alcohols included and not on specific drinks.  You can order any drink you want as long as it can be made from the included alcohols.  The price limits are guidelines as to what the normal value of those drinks would be if ordered separately.  If a given ordered drink would exceed that limit, you would be charged the difference as a surcharge.

The classic package is more limited in its variety and selection of alcohols, most of which are essentially "well" liquors.  The premium package has a greater variety and selection and is primarily premium brands. 

Attached is a pdf that you can download that will show what alcohols each package includes so that you can decide the best fit for you.

Celebrity drink packages.pdf 784.95 kB · 1 download

Thanks so much for this and the attachment. That’s very helpful and makes the package a lot more beneficial than I originally thought. 

1 minute ago, Kylevans123 said:

Thanks so much for this and the attachment. That’s very helpful and makes the package a lot more beneficial than I originally thought. 

Note that they also include different non-alcoholic beverages, water, etc.  There will also be an additional 20% added to the package cost as gratuities, so plan for that as well.  But no additional gratuity is necessary or expected with each beverage selected.  And the typical guideline for breakeven is around 6-7 drinks per day, including port of call days.  But that includes all beverages selected. 

I believe on the European cruises the prices you see already include the gratuity so you are limited to $12 and under not the 10 plus 20% gratuity the way it is listed on US and Caribbean sailings.  

Most menu cocktail listings are specialty drinks containing the premium liquor brands.  Almost all basic cocktails and many of the specialty ones can be made using rail drinks and then would be included in the standard package.  You wouldn't point to a $20 cocktail and say I want this because then you would pay the difference, but if you say can you make me a mai tai with the classic package or X drink with the classic package, they will either say sure and then make one using the liquor from the classic package or they may say no we can't because the drink may include a liquor that they don't have an equivalent in the classic package and if you want it, it will be $X over your package price plus gratuity on the overage.  In terms of wine, you will tell them what kind you like and they will bring you a glass that is included.  If you want a particular style that they have no classic, then they may recommend a similar red or white that would be included.  

My husband likes to have more choices in the wines and sparkling water with dinner and  I do like a martini from the martini bar (which would not be included in the classic- you can get a classic martini at the other bars just not the specialty ones they have at the martini bar) so we usually upgrade to premium when the upgrade goes on a 30%+ sale.   

• Thanks 1

Go for the Premium when there is a decent discount (30-40% is usually available) for the $20 a drink limit (or $18 plus tip).  You will soon spend the daily amount of about $50 it has cost you.  2-3 decent coffees is $15, couple of beers another $20-30, bottles of water when going ashore etc.

Once bar staff see you have premium package they will use premium drink brands and not the generic ones, some of which are really terrible.

I had a proper Bacardi and coke, but half way through I noticed the glass was cracked.  The one which replaced it was made using the generic white rum and I couldn't drink it it was so bad.