Power Adaptors

Dorh

Hotels generally do not provide adaptors nor converters.  Most phones can run on either voltage, check yours to be sure, you might only need the plug adaptor.

You may or may not need a voltage converter for your hair appliances:

If you have a single-voltage hair dryer, it may still be possible to use it in Europe, but precautions must be taken.

Voltage Converters: Voltage converters transform the 220-240V European current to 110-120V, making it compatible with your hair dryer. However, it’s crucial to ensure that the converter is powerful enough to handle the wattage of your hair dryer.

Frequency Adapters: Frequency adapters, also known as “hertz converters,” change the 50Hz European frequency to 60Hz. However, it’s important to note that not all hair dryers can tolerate frequency changes, so it’s essential to check the manufacturer’s specifications before using a frequency adapter.

Above is taken from here:  Will My Hair Dryer Work In Europe? Here's The Answer! - HairSpeaks

Edited by euro cruiser

You are dealing with two different issues, adaptors and converters!  Adaptors are simply the plug that lets you take your North American type plug and get it into the usual 2 round pin European socket.  Those 2 pin sockets also accommodate a third-round pin (the ground) although this is not usually necessary.   Those simple converters are available online or at just about anyplace that sells luggage.  They are inexpensive and we always carry a few. 

Your North American items may or may not already be able to handle the 220-240 Volts (duel voltage) found in Europe.  Check each item to make sure they are OK with the higher voltage and, if so, you are good to go with just the cheap adaptor.

If you have an item that only operates on 110-120, and want to use it in Europe, you will need a voltage "Converter."  These are more expensive, somewhat heavier, and some with different wattage restrictions.  You would need a converter that is rated for the wattage of the item you want to use.  

These days, most (but not all) items do handle the higher European voltage.  If you have something like a hair dryer or flat iron that is only rated for 110-120, you might want to consider buying another flat iron or dryer that is rated for the higher voltage.  This saves you the hassle of having a converter.  I think just about all the laptops and phones are rated for dual voltage.

Hank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You are dealing with two different issues, adaptors and converters!  Adaptors are simply the plug that lets you take your North American type plug and get it into the usual 2 round pin European socket.  Those 2 pin sockets also accommodate a third-round pin (the ground) although this is not usually necessary.   Those simple converters are available online or at just about anyplace that sells luggage.  They are inexpensive and we always carry a few. 

Your North American items may or may not already be able to handle the 220-240 Volts (duel voltage) found in Europe.  Check each item to make sure they are OK with the higher voltage and, if so, you are good to go with just the cheap adaptor.

If you have an item that only operates on 110-120, and want to use it in Europe, you will need a voltage "Converter."  These are more expensive, somewhat heavier, and some with different wattage restrictions.  You would need a converter that is rated for the wattage of the item you want to use.  

These days, most (but not all) items do handle the higher European voltage.  If you have something like a hair dryer or flat iron that is only rated for 110-120, you might want to consider buying another flat iron or dryer that is rated for the higher voltage.  This saves you the hassle of having a converter.  I think just about all the laptops and phones are rated for dual voltage.

Hank

Thank you for the explanation. Most concerned about charging my my iphone and my husband has a CPAP machine that I need to operate daily.  

1 hour ago, Dorh said:

Thank you for the explanation. Most concerned about charging my my iphone and my husband has a CPAP machine that I need to operate daily.  

No problem with the iPhone since they can handle the higher 220-240 volt as long as you have an adapter.  As to the CPAP, you need to read what is on the machine (usually near the plug) as far as voltage  If it says something line "110-120 and 220-240" as well as 50-60 mhz you will be fine.  If it does not have 220-240 indicated on the machine, that you would likely need a voltage converter (which steps down the power from 220 to 110).

Hank

18 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Hotels generally do not provide adaptors nor converters.  Most phones can run on either voltage, check yours to be sure, you might only need the plug adaptor.

You may or may not need a voltage converter for your hair appliances:

If you have a single-voltage hair dryer, it may still be possible to use it in Europe, but precautions must be taken.

Voltage Converters: Voltage converters transform the 220-240V European current to 110-120V, making it compatible with your hair dryer. However, it’s crucial to ensure that the converter is powerful enough to handle the wattage of your hair dryer.

Frequency Adapters: Frequency adapters, also known as “hertz converters,” change the 50Hz European frequency to 60Hz. However, it’s important to note that not all hair dryers can tolerate frequency changes, so it’s essential to check the manufacturer’s specifications before using a frequency adapter.

Above is taken from here:  Will My Hair Dryer Work In Europe? Here's The Answer! - HairSpeaks

Thank you for the explanation. I'll be looking into adaptors. It's been a few year since we traveled to Europe so just checking on the correct items we need for our devices.

I bought the one someone suggested in a different thread but it looks just like what royal now says is banned. Multi plugs are now banned by royal. Mine is still new in the box. I'm going to be upset if its confiscated. Big uproar on royal threads about banning multi plugs, even with no cord attached. Only those with only usb plug ins now allowed.

Crossing  my fingers. I dont cruise to europe until may so it's new in the box. Mine is the kind I can plug my chargers into, not ubs only.