Santiago De Compostela from La Coruna or Vigo

leck57

We are doing a Princess cruise in April which is stopping in La Coruna and Vigo. Princess advertise both of these ports as being the port for Santiago De Compostela.

We would like to visit Santiago but my question is whether it's better to visit from La Coruna or Vigo. My early research indicates Vigo has a bit more to see than La Coruna so we should use the La Coruna port day to visit Santiago?

Any comments would be greatly received as well as how you travelled to Santiago. Needless to say, the ship yours are quite costly, although we often do ship tours if the distance from the port is a fair way.

3 hours ago, leck57 said:

We are doing a Princess cruise in April which is stopping in La Coruna and Vigo. Princess advertise both of these ports as being the port for Santiago De Compostela.

We would like to visit Santiago but my question is whether it's better to visit from La Coruna or Vigo. My early research indicates Vigo has a bit more to see than La Coruna so we should use the La Coruna port day to visit Santiago?

Any comments would be greatly received as well as how you travelled to Santiago. Needless to say, the ship yours are quite costly, although we often do ship tours if the distance from the port is a fair way.

Of the two, I found La Coruna to be more interesting. St. Anthony's Castle and the Tower of Hercules are both well worth a visit and the entrance fees are very cheap.

6 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Of the two, I found La Coruna to be more interesting. St. Anthony's Castle and the Tower of Hercules are both well worth a visit and the entrance fees are very cheap.

Thanks for your comments. I'll be interested in what others think as well.

• Like 1

Is your ship offering a Santiago tour on your own?  I'm sailing disney and they are - it's just a bus back and and forth.  There are private tour operators who also run this bus from the cruise terminals, but since Disney was surprisingly affordable I went with them.

1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

Is your ship offering a Santiago tour on your own?  I'm sailing disney and they are - it's just a bus back and and forth.  There are private tour operators who also run this bus from the cruise terminals, but since Disney was surprisingly affordable I went with them.

I think so, but my question is what port I should visit Santiago from. I would like people's opinion on whether La Coruna or Vigo is the better port to look around, and I'll visit Santiago from the less appealing one. 

7 hours ago, leck57 said:

I think so, but my question is what port I should visit Santiago from. I would like people's opinion on whether La Coruna or Vigo is the better port to look around, and I'll visit Santiago from the less appealing one. 

Right - sorry - can't help with that since I'm only going to Vigo, but you also mentioned the ship tours being expensive in your post.   The Santiago on your own from Vigo tours which just consist of a bus to drop you off in Santiago from Vigo are quite affordable from private vendors (and surprisingly from the Disney excursion) .  Your ship tour equivalent might be a lot less than a full tour, and from what I've read it's fine to explore on your own.  

• Thanks 1